Home Main Category Hunting

Scimitar Oryx blackstrap, it’s what’s for dinner

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,256 Senior Member
edited July 12 in Hunting #1
I’ve got to say the Scimitar Oryx backstrap was the most tasteful and flavorful of any wild game I’ve ever eaten. My wife and our friends loved it. It was just outstanding. A bit on the tough side but very delicious. I cooked it at  350 in the oven until it was 125 degrees internal temp and finished it off on the grill to 140 degrees. Cooked perfectly med rareish, very moist just a tad tough. 

Can’t wait until the rest comes back from the processor.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Probably a prime candidate for Sous Vide.  Looks delicious!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    Looks Great
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    Looks delicious.
    I haven't found anything to top Axis yet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    Looks good. 

I’ve stopped cooking backstraps whole. Because they always end up tough. 

I cut them 1/4” to 1/2” thick, marinade,  and either grill or Pan sear for 30sec to 1min per side (depending on thickness) and damn if they ain’t tender!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,245 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Looks good. 

I’ve stopped cooking backstraps whole. Because they always end up tough. 

I cut them 1/4” to 1/2” thick, marinade,  and either grill or Pan sear for 30sec to 1min per side (depending on thickness) and damn if they ain’t tender!

Bloodhound and I use the same method but we hang our deer with the skin on in a chiller for anything between 7-14 days  depending on a number of factors which take into account the age, sex, season and whether it dropped on the spot or not, to name a few. We monitor the animal over that period assessing it as well looking for any signs such as mould developing in the gut cavity and giving it the sniff test etc. 

Last thursday we skinned and cut up a large fallow spiker that was in the chiller for 12 days, turning it into steaks...........Had some of the steaks on friday night and they were tender enough to cut with a blunt fork and full of flavor.

That backstrap looks very yummy Jeff, so yummy that I stopped typing this and went and got a piece of backsteak ( backstrap for you guys) from the freezer to defrost for dinner tomorrow night..........It will be cut as Zee described and pan fried as above without marinade but with a little crushed fresh ginger in the pan to add to the flavor.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    If you cut backstraps into 1 1/2 to 2” pieces and then lay them in their end and press down hard with something flat to open the meat fibers you end up with fat little steaks that cook perfectly on their own.  Just cook them at really high heat to seal the outside and then lower the heat and cook to medium-rare.  This is a French technique they use for Chateaubriand.  I used to do all my deer back straps that way and most folks thought I was feeding them little beef filets.

Jeff, you can age those backstraps in the fridge just like you do beef too!  It does an amazing job of tenderizing them.  Just 4-7 days will do wonders for the texture and flavor.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    ORX is just good meat, glad you shot it.

Any steak cuts will also  be good.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    Great advice everyone!  I brought the one backstrap home to simply see how it tasted.  I'll definitely change things up when I get the rest of him back from the processor.  I'm going to pull some Axis steaks from the freezer for dinner this evening.  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21