Could a backup gun hurt you in a SD aftermath?

2»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Unless it's a cop. Then 5 are enough, yes?

No, and I had to find that out the hard way.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    So... implying you may have heart trouble won't help?

Nope. :tooth: An officer will just sit at the hospital with you.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    When I mentioned that, if you are under duress and a harangue from a Douche bag anti self defense / anti gun cop, I am having chest pains, I would like to be checked out at the ER, will get you out from under, and they can't interrogate you without council present if you ask for it.

They also do not want to be held liable / lawsuit for causing a death from heart failure.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    On the other hand, if you've outed yourself as planning on doing that, or given that advice, and they take you to the ER, most likely by ambulance, you'll be held liable for filing a false medical report and improperly using emergency medical resources.

Or you could just refuse to answer questions until you have a lawyer present, asking for a supervisor if needed, and not get in possible trouble.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Even if your chest pains are psychosomatic (false angina pectoris) there is no liability for that, other than a bill for services.

Stress can cause chest pains, and tests / EKG bloods will show nothing abnormal.

The ER Physicians will understand the high probability of stress induced chest pains in someone just recently in a self defense shooting incident.
    That's not my point. Saying you'd do such a thing would make a claim greeted with some skepticism. If it came up later, it could get you in trouble. It's advice best left unsaid.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I am not worried, I have survived way too much, to start being neurotic or lose any sleep over stuff like that now.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    That's fine and dandy...just don't say that to the cops who are questioning you after the shooting...Remember..."I was in fear for my life and I shot to stop him" say this ONCE! then shut up...

Implying that you intended to kill the BG can turn a perfectly legal shooting into a legal nightmare..

WRONG!!!! You say "I intend to cooperate with the investigation fully AFTER I CONSULT WITH MY ATTORNEY." NOTHING ELSE!!!

What you say above is most likely what your attorney is going to advise you to claim as your statement, but ALWAYS consult with your attorney first.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    True, never blurt out anything.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    From the article:

The only case I ever heard of anything really coming close to a “handload” argument was a case where a woman shot herself in a suicide attempt and the husband was in trouble for loading light handloads that threw off the test for gun shot residue (GSR) and just looked fishy. In the end though, once his handloads were tested, the GSR told the tale and the case was settled.

That would be the Daniel Bias case. First trial was a hung jury, with over $100,000 in court fees. He want through 4 trials, total, bankrupting himself. He was eventually convicted of Reckless Homicide (a felony) and deprived of his right to own firearms. Or, in some jurisdictions, weapons (that means bows and arrows.)

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1229749540239300.xml&coll=3

I wouldn't say the issue was "settled" at all.
    Overkill is underrated.
    "The only place I don’t feel that the handloads should be used for personal defense is in law enforcement, because most if not all departments have a policy that you must carry the issued ammunition that the entire department carries. Any deviation from that you probably get you in hot water with both your boss and the local district attorney."

This is a logical point, however, it is simpler to use LE type ammo and fall back on:

"The Police have invested countless resources in the study of what ammo is best for defensive purposes,

I use what they (LE) use...."

Now you are backed by well known names and other folks credentials, ie the FBI and countless LE agencies and a big name ammo company, this is a better defense than one man and his home brewed ammo, cheaper too.

See Breamfisher's post
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    RB i really think your perception is wrong, check your local state laws regarding self defense first it varies from state to state, use force only when force is needed and NEVER use the term KILL with intention, it may backfire on you if god forbid the time should come.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I can't imagine any court around here convicting a hard working, law abiding, citizen from protecting him self and/or family from a criminal.

IT has happened
    It happens up North all the time in Yankee land, New York City to be precise, G&A has an article about a former Marine arrested in NYC for illegal possession of a handgun, no NYC permit.