Home Main Category Clubhouse

Flag poles finally in at the ranch

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,249 Senior Member
Yes, I waited too long get old glory up and flying with the winds. I put up two 25’ bronze Liberty Flag poles 

All three flags are flying proudly. 

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    Looks good Jeff

Have lighting?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,595 Senior Member
    Texas! There's only two things that come from Texas! :D;)
    Seriously - lookin' good!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 801 Senior Member
    Beautiful!  Which reminds me I have to order a new flag, the current one is getting a little tattered around the edge.  Around here they don't last long because of the steady wind from the ocean and salt air eats everything up.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Looks fantastic!!
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,984 Senior Member
    Looks good! 
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,089 Senior Member
    Nice! Looks good.

I have a flagpole at my place that we made using a 20-something foot long joint of steel 2" pipe, painted white and has a braided, galvanized metal cable to raise and lower the flag. It's held up for a long time. I ordered a pretty inexpensive solar powered flagpole spotlight on Amazon that clamps around the flag pole and turns on at sundown and turns off at sunrise. It's been working good so far. 

I thought I was going to lose that flag pole a couple weeks ago. Nasty storm came through with 70-80 mph wind gusts. It came in right after sundown and I didn't have time to run out there and pull the flag down before it hit. But the flag and pole made it, no problem.. I have a relatively small 3x5 flag to avoid too much stress on the pole, cable and pulleys.

Here's a drone shot of mine a couple weeks ago when I did my dad's memorial party.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    I see you’re an A &M fan. What’s your take on yesterday’s news about Texas and OK joining the SEC?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,619 Senior Member
    We have a 20 foot stainless steel flagpole. I hoist a new flag on Veterans Day every year... We also started flying a 4x6 flag as opposed to a 3x5...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,249 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I see you’re an A &M fan. What’s your take on yesterday’s news about Texas and OK joining the SEC?
    Actually, I'm an Aggie and still one of their biggest fans!  I hadn't heard that news but it will make for a very interesting and competitive  division.  I would love to go back to our after Thanksgiving A&M and UT game.  But I do like our A&M and LSU after Thanksgiving game.   UT will find it a very difficult change to compete in the SEC just as A&M did.  UT is having a hard time competing in the Big 12 but over time they'll find their way as A&M is.  OK comes a bit better prepared to play in the SEC.  However, adding one or two more teams to the SEC will really start to effect recruiting for those really sought after top tier athletes and could bring competition down.

I was just talking to my son Mark whose very up on this.  The biggest issue that UT faces is they'll have give up their Longhorn network which is very lucrative for them.  The SEC won't let them keep their own network and they'll have to be part of the SEC network.

Should be interesting.  Thanks  

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    Agree about the Longhorn Network. I’ve read a few comments on tweets that basically say it won’t happen. It takes 3/4 approval and many people think That several SEC schools will vote against it. Supposedly FL, KY, SC and one or two more want to be the only school in their state in the SEC. They’re scared by allowing Texas in it may allow FSU, Clemson, and Louisville a shot at joining. I know MS, AL, and TN have two schools each but those, IIRC, are all charter members of the SEC. I know the MS schools are. 

I also read that the OK legislature has previously voted in a provision that OK and OSU must be in the same conference. I have no idea if that’s true or not. 

Personally I think with NIL and the NCAA president saying the rules need to be loosened on college sports that at least college football will change significantly in the next few years. 
    RugerFan said:
    Agree about the Longhorn Network. I’ve read a few comments on tweets that basically say it won’t happen. It takes 3/4 approval and many people think That several SEC schools will vote against it. Supposedly FL, KY, SC and one or two more want to be the only school in their state in the SEC. They’re scared by allowing Texas in it may allow FSU, Clemson, and Louisville a shot at joining. I know MS, AL, and TN have two schools each but those, IIRC, are all charter members of the SEC. I know the MS schools are. 

I also read that the OK legislature has previously voted in a provision that OK and OSU must be in the same conference. I have no idea if that’s true or not. 

Personally I think with NIL and the NCAA president saying the rules need to be loosened on college sports that at least college football will change significantly in the next few years. 
    I agree!  It will get interesting!

They were talking about a couple of players already approaching more than $1Mil in endorsement, so yeah CF is going to change, and I don't think for the better. I'm thinking "NFL Minor League" with a bunch of the BS that goes with it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    They were talking about a couple of players already approaching more than $1Mil in endorsement, so yeah CF is going to change, and I don't think for the better. I'm thinking "NFL Minor League" with a bunch of the BS that goes with it.
    I've completely given up on the NFL.  It's just a matter of time before college players figure out how to get their own sports agents negotiating their deals, holding out for more money, wanting collective bargaining and free agency.  Most of those things aren't their yet, but the door has been opened.  Some smart lawyer will figure out a way.  Then like the NFL my last true sport I love will be lost to greed and the love of money, not the game.  

You're right this is not going to be for the better.

You're right this is not going to be for the better.
    I hope and pray that I'm wrong

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,225 Senior Member
    Thank you for putting the TEXAS flag on it's own staff & at the proper height.

Texas Flag Code

§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

1. If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
    2. If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
      1. the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
      2. the flags should be of approximately equal size;
      3. the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
      4. the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
      5. the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The defection of the Tea-sips (aka UT-Longhorns) -- the Big 12 really messed up when they allowed UT to have their own channel. The conference allowed it in the first place to stave off their departure, which appeared to work, .... until it didn't. 

Being a Texas Tech U. and Texas Christian U. alum I'm more worried about those institution's athletic programs. T. Tech has suffered from weak leadership at the top of program, but that is only my opinion & worth exactly what was paid for it.

Please return to your previously scheduled programming.   
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Uh... College Football's already been the NFL Minor League for a looooooooong time.  Now it's just "legitimate."

Warren Sapp says he took a big pay cut leaving U Miami to play at Tampa Bay.
    Overkill is underrated.
    41magnut said:
    Thank you for putting the TEXAS flag on it's own staff & at the proper height.

Texas Flag Code

§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

1. If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
    2. If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
      1. the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
      2. the flags should be of approximately equal size;
      3. the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
      4. the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
      5. the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

When I was in high school I worked for a flag pole company installing and painting flag poles during the summers.  I remembered the order they were supposed to go in.

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 140 Member
    What are the regs for the Aggie banner?

Q: know what makes OU / TX game so very special?

A: one of those teams loses a game
    Japhy said:
    What are the regs for the Aggie banner?

Too be honest I'm not sure there are any except to raise and fly it high and proudly!  99% of the A&M flags I see are flown below the Texas state flag

With UT and OU joining the SEC more than likely next year, it would be nice to go back to the A&M/UT Thanksgiving weekend game! 

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 140 Member
    Flags look great
    ive been looking for a reasonably mast that can be disguised as a flag pole

I also heard all A&M freshmen are taught that ut is never capitalized