Home Main Category General Firearms

Back from Camp Perry

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,679 Senior Member
No points toward distinguished. :'(
The cut was 479-10x and I shot a 476-11x
Considering I fell apart on my hind feet, I did pretty good. If I can learn to shoot anything consistently standing I might be OK at this.
Standing slow fire @200 yds 84-0 ......... yep. I dropped 16 points in the first 10 min of the match (sr target)
Sitting rapid @200 yds 99-3x (sr target)
Prone rapid @300 yds 99-4x (sr3 target) (all with mag length 77gr nos CC over 24 Varget CCi 41)
Prone slow @600 yds first string 97-3x, second 97-1x (MR 1 target) (berger 80.5, 24 Varget, CCI 42)

Did a 2 man team match that went pretty OK after that.

Shot some of the wood guns later in the week, did OK with the Garand (263-4x/300), good with the springfield (277-4x/300), OK with the 1917 (263-1/300), broke my carbine so that didnt go as well.(294-2/400)
Shot the Vintage sniper with my M1941. I'm not happy with it. I am not sure if it is the scope or what but it isnt doing what I need it to do. I was 94 at 300 and 77 at 600. Last sighter was a X at 600, first for record was a 7 at 9 oclock. Not nearly enough wind to push a 168gr bullet that far. It kept doing it to. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I'm not that bad.

I think next year I am going to forgo the wood guns, go out earlier, and shoot the 800 agg with the black rifle, do the small arms firing school and maybe shoot the presidents 100. Just go intense on the black rifle next year. Providing I find powder.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,558 Senior Member
    Good on you and getting out to shoot, I barely have fondled mine this year, hope you make the cut next year hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,854 Senior Member
    I hope you find the powder. Seeing your skill and dedication posted here is  awesome.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,279 Senior Member
    Just being there would be a thrill for me!! Congrats!!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,801 Senior Member
    I loved reading your post.  It's been 16 years since I've been at Perry.  I doubt I will ever return to Service Rifle, not at my age.  I just returned from Camp Atterbury where the NRA Nationals were held.  I shot the F-Class Long Range portion.

I'm glad you had a good time and keep at at it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,558 Senior Member
    Pegasus said:
    I loved reading your post.  It's been 16 years since I've been at Perry.  I doubt I will ever return to Service Rifle, not at my age.  I just returned from Camp Atterbury where the NRA Nationals were held.  I shot the F-Class Long Range portion.

I'm glad you had a good time and keep at at it.
    Your turn to start a thread hey
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    VM.  I wanted to ask you how you like the Nosler 77GR Custom Competition in .224? 

I have used the 175gr .308 version but not for F-Class competition, obviously.  I found them quite decent in my AR‐10. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,679 Senior Member
    I have been using them since Sierra got hard to get a couple years ago. I have gotten better in that time also so its not all bullet, but I have cleaned a few at 200 and 300 with them. 600 I get a better result out of the Berger 80.5. Might be in my head because I did shoot a match with the 77's at 6 and did OK.

Overall I like them and the availability and price point beats the 77MK with as good of accuracy.
    VM, thanks for the information.  My impression of the Nosler CC 175 has been positive; I like the bullet and the price and I could not see a difference between the Sierra and the Nosler, at least for my use of them.  I totally understand why you would use a Berger 80.5 over the Nosler 77 @ 600 yards.  When I shot F-TR with my tricked out AR-15 (with a 26 inch Krieger barrel,) I was using the 80gr JLK for 300, 600, and 1000 yards.  The 77SMK just didn't measure up.  The 80.5 Berger came just as I stopped flinging .224 diameter jacketed lead projectiles at long distances.  I never used them, but I know people like them.
    The Berger 80.5 actually shoots 1 moa flatter then the 77CC at 600. My 200 zero is 1up (so I can shoot reduced range) and 14 up with the 77CC and 13 with the Bergers.
    Folks shoot 77 XTC all the time and put up better scores than I avg, so like I said, the Berger being better than the CC may be in my head, but just because its in you head doesnt mean it isnt real.
    Things seem to have changed some since my days of Service Rifle.  I remember using the 69SMK for everything but the 600 yards; there I used the 80SMK and later the 80JLK.  I found that the 69SMK was more precise at 200/300 than the 77SMK, at least from the bench during load development, so that was in my head then.  I should think having a single load, like all 77SMK, is easier to manage.

I still talk with the Service Rifle folks who come out to shoot the prone matches and they all seem to use some version of 90gr bullet for the 600 and 1000 yard matches.  I haven't been to an XTC match in several lustra.  Maybe I should do something about that.
    I started with 69's, then the theory was 77xtc, and the price diff on 1K bullets is nothing, then I found the bergers :)