Potential for a good reason to visit Puerto Rico! bruchi, have you heard?

mythaeusmythaeus Senior MemberPosts: 831 Senior Member
Got this from another forum. I'm not able to find an English news story on this to confirm 100%. Hopefully bruchi can chime in.

Shall Issue bill introduced in Puerto Rico
"In wake of the McDonalds and Heller decisions, a senator from the majority party in Puerto Rico has introduced legislation that will make PR a shall issue territory. Best part of all, the bill will allow carry permits/licenses from any of the 50 states to be used in PR.

Currently, PR is 'may issue', carry licenses cost about $1,000, has no reciprocity with any other state, and does not issue licenses to non-residents. The only non-residents that can carry there are law enforcement officers under LEOSA.

The proposed law will lower the fee to $20 and make it shall issue. Any license from any of the 50 US states will be valid."

Here's the Spanish article: http://www.primerahora.com/proponendtopotorguepermisosportacionarmas-616098.html

Translation (partial):
A project to liberalize the legal possession and carrying of firearms in Puerto Rico was filed by NPP Senator Carmelo Rios, who called for Puerto Ricans the same right to own guns than the U.S. residents.

Senate Bill 2466 would create the Constitutional Law of Arms of Puerto Rico and, according to the senator, seeking to temper the local law to the United States Supreme Court's recent decisions in establishing the fundamental right of citizens to keep and bear arms.
<SNIP>
Constitutional Law

"There is no reason why Puerto Ricans should have fewer rights than the rest of the other American citizens and this is proof that we are equal and this bill addresses the needs of our humble people and our women," he said.

"We defend the rights of the good and decent people of Puerto Rico," he said.

"Almost four years ago, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in the case of DC v. Heller that to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right and, just two years ago, the Supreme Court clarified that the law applies to the States and, therefore, to Puerto Rico because it is a fundamental right that belongs to the people, our citizens, in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago", said the senator, who chairs the Senate Government Committee.

Al
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "Shall Issue bill introduced in Puerto Rico
    "In wake of the McDonalds and Heller decisions, a senator from the majority party in Puerto Rico has introduced legislation that will make PR a shall issue territory. Best part of all, the bill will allow carry permits/licenses from any of the 50 states to be used in PR."

All I can say is WOW !!!!

I hope it passes !!!

Edited to add:

Now I will have an excuse to visit My relatives in Puerto Rico.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Hm..

If Puerto Rico passes this legislation it will be the first territory of the US to be A, a shall issue "state" AND B, have 100% reciprocity with all other "states". I'm impressed.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    This is first order news for all gun foks here in Puerto Rico and for a couple of weeks already we have been very vocal about making this a reality, we are all crossing our fingers so we will be "equal" to you guys up north!

The deadline for this is in June, the main points are:

The PR police will be totally out of the picture regarding gun permits, now they invetigate you including asking your neighbors to vouch for your, then they can visit you anytime to verify your guns are in your possession.

One credential will allow you to own guns and ammo, as many as you want, go target practice whenever you want and CCW right now you need a permit for each thing, also no caps on ammo you van buy and keep, if you only have the possession permit no you can only own 2 guns and buy up to 100 rounds per year so you need the target practice permit to be able to get as many as you want!

It will accept carry permits from anywhere in the US hopefully you guys will pay us back the favor and allow those with a PR permit to carry over there.

No more explosives permit needed to buy reloading components and you will be able to store the powder at home with no time restrains, now you can keep powder only for a 48 hour period, any left after that must be taken to the Police for them to store. There is also something about full auto and suppressed being allowed but got to read that carefully first before passing out wrong info.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Good deal
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
    "This is first order news for all gun foks here in Puerto Rico"

I think this will benefit Us all !!!! Not just Puerto Rico !

This will spread ripples that will rock the Anti Gun Empire to its very foundations bring it to its knees, and speed along its crumbling and long overdue demise !!!!!

"No more explosives permit needed to buy reloading components and you will be able to store the powder at home with no time restrains, now you can keep powder only for a 48 hour period, any left after that must be taken to the Police for them to store..."

How did they come up with that gem ????
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Guys all i have to say is that "PUERTO RICO" is not a territory it is a "Common Wealt"h same as Canada is to Britan and have been citizens since the 1900 foraker act.
    That is what My Uncle Anibal used to remind Me, every five minutes......
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hell I might just have to move back then :tooth:

PLEASE DO! I can store your guns here while you get settled...

Perhaps after this law is passed, being entirely positive here, I could go shooting here with those of you that visit the island!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    "This is first order news for all gun foks here in Puerto Rico"

I think this will benefit Us all !!!! Not just Puerto Rico !

This will spread ripples that will rock the Anti Gun Empire to its very foundations bring it to its knees, and speed along its crumbling and long overdue demise !!!!!

"No more explosives permit needed to buy reloading components and you will be able to store the powder at home with no time restrains, now you can keep powder only for a 48 hour period, any left after that must be taken to the Police for them to store..."

How did they come up with that gem ????

No clue but before that law was put in place you could reload with no issues, most of the plinking ammo sold at LGS was reloaded by them, think it has to do with the fact that at some point it was made law that when you buy ammo you can only buy in the calibers you have registered guns in and that as you buy ammo a report is sent online to the police on what you are buying, every single round!
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    This is first order news for all gun foks here in Puerto Rico and for a couple of weeks already we have been very vocal about making this a reality, we are all crossing our fingers so we will be "equal" to you guys up north!

The deadline for this is in June, the main points are:

The PR police will be totally out of the picture regarding gun permits, now they invetigate you including asking your neighbors to vouch for your, then they can visit you anytime to verify your guns are in your possession.

One credential will allow you to own guns and ammo, as many as you want, go target practice whenever you want and CCW right now you need a permit for each thing, also no caps on ammo you van buy and keep, if you only have the possession permit no you can only own 2 guns and buy up to 100 rounds per year so you need the target practice permit to be able to get as many as you want!

It will accept carry permits from anywhere in the US hopefully you guys will pay us back the favor and allow those with a PR permit to carry over there.

No more explosives permit needed to buy reloading components and you will be able to store the powder at home with no time restrains, now you can keep powder only for a 48 hour period, any left after that must be taken to the Police for them to store. There is also something about full auto and suppressed being allowed but got to read that carefully first before passing out wrong info.

I really hope this will work out for your sake as well as ours. Are there a lot of oppositions? What your sense in how likely this will become a reality?

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    mythaeus wrote: »
    I really hope this will work out for your sake as well as ours. Are there a lot of oppositions? What your sense in how likely this will become a reality?

Al

It certainly is a long shot but I believe so it was the past law that was enacted about a decade ago so there is hope, at first lots of politicians where against it so was the media, that has turned quite a lot in our favor.

The media is actually printing and showing articles pro self defense via a gun and even the governor who was dead set against it when it was proposed is now backpedaling saying he has to read the document more carefully before making a decision.

Lot of folks, politicians on the right side of the fence, attorneys, LGS owners, etc. have been very vocal on the media educating folks, the issue of some of the government considering us lesser that those in the US, not to be trusted with guns has been one large issue pushed, money had been gathered for radio spots, facebook has been inundated so the Senate and House of Representatives mail rooms and all of this seems is making a dent on the opposition, it is an election year, crime is a huge issue here as it has escalated immensely of late so there are points in our favor, still it is a BIG step in the right direction.

Enough? Not for sure but I am crossing my fingers and toes!
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    It certainly is a long shot but I believe so it was the past law that was enacted about a decade ago so there is hope, at first lots of politicians where against it so was the media, that has turned quite a lot in our favor.

The media is actually printing and showing articles pro self defense via a gun and even the governor who was dead set against it when it was proposed is now backpedaling saying he has to read the document more carefully before making a decision.

Lot of folks, politicians on the right side of the fence, attorneys, LGS owners, etc. have been very vocal on the media educating folks, the issue of some of the government considering us lesser that those in the US, not to be trusted with guns has been one large issue pushed, money had been gathered for radio spots, facebook has been inundated so the Senate and House of Representatives mail rooms and all of this seems is making a dent on the opposition, it is an election year, crime is a huge issue here as it has escalated immensely of late so there are points in our favor, still it is a BIG step in the right direction.

Enough? Not for sure but I am crossing my fingers and toes!

Wow, that's great to hear that people and media are involved to support it. I'm very excited! That would be as "international" as I would ever get to travel with my gun if it happens.

Al
    I am so stoked over this !!!!! I really hope it passes !!!!

It will be fun to visit and do a bit of shooting when this passes !!!!!

I have not been to Puerto Rico since I was a nipper !!!!

Food in Puerto Rico is way good !!!!

Avocados the size of small cantelope melons !