Home Main Category Hunting

Savage model 24 Combination guns..............

BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member

I have two Savage combination guns. One is in .22 mag./20 ga. The other .22 mag./410. These are extremely versatile hunting weapons and when out with one I nearly always am successful in bringing home game.

I’ve shot pigeons, rabbits, ducks, foxes, feral cats and a couple of kangaroos with shotgun barrels. I’ve tried shooting crows too but so far I’ve been unsuccessful in that endeavor. In general I find them to be a bit heavy and that’s why I bought the combo 22 mag./410 but I found it to be only a wee bit less heavy to carry around than the 20 ga. model.

I have fitted a 1.5 - 5 x 20 mm Tasco on one and a 2 - 6 x 20 mm Tasco on the other and despite the fact the factory suggests not to fire the shotgun barrel with a scope attached I am having no trouble doing so with either. Just think of it, how many times have you been out with a rifle and had a great shotgun opportunity presented to you but didn’t have one? And the reverse too while carrying only a shotgun.

I believe these old Savage combos are a real gem and not fully appreciated by most hunters except for the few who like me  have found them perfect for the conditions we hunt in.

Bazzaloo

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,021 Senior Member
    I wouldn’t mind having one. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,684 Senior Member
    i have always wanted one myself. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,142 Senior Member
    edited August 22 #4
    I had a 22mag/410 I paid $75 for. It was in sad shape but cleaned up well. It was the perfect squirrel/bunny gun. I had a 1.5 illuminated recital scope on mine for looking into the canopy and brush. I foolishly sold it when I had to thin the heard. Savage is making them again!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    I
    really wanted one when I was a teen
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    I'd love to own a drilling. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • BazzalooBazzaloo Posts: 67 Member
    The first one I had was the model in .222 Rem/20 ga. when I lived in Ca. I used it on jack rabbits up in the Mojave desert. It was fitted with a Leupold 1 - 4 x 20 mm scope which I cranked down to 1X for the runners and quickly cranked up to 4X if they stopped thinking they were out of range. Those jack rabbits hated that rig.........Ha,ha!

Bazzaloo
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,684 Senior Member
    I wanted the 30-30 over 12GA. I thought that would cover just about anything I needed to shoot.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,385 Senior Member
    edited August 31 #9
    I had one briefly in .410/.LR because I got a deal on it. The only .410 I ever had.  For me, it wasn't practical as I felt shotguns and rifles and in either of these was better than both of these put together.  I never fired it for a group.

As for magnums I think it's too much gun and the .410 was too little.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,266 Senior Member
    edited August 31 #10
    Actually that was the third gun my pop bought for me.  I had a .222 rem/20ga.  Ideally I would have loved a .243 win/12ga but I don't think that existed.   If I recall my pop put a fixed Weaver 4X power scope on it with see thru sights.  I think I was 13 when I got it, I hunted with it until I was 16 when I bought my first Mossberg 12ga pump and my LH Rem 700 .270 win.  At this time we lived in Allegany mountains in VA.  The .222 rem was too small of a caliber for deer, not allowed for turkeys but did great on groundhogs and other small critters.  It was actually my first shotgun I hunted turkey's with.   Lots of fond memories for sure!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    I’ve always wanted one, but have never put down the cash.
    I’d really like a 223/20 gauge combo.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain