Home Main Category Clubhouse

What is your favorite “War Movie”?

13»

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 700 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:Japhy said:
    I can believe this ones not been mentioned.
    Does everyone know what movie the above photo is from?
    Heartbreak ridge is a movie I can watch whenever it’s on. 
    Apocalypse Now

Robert Duvall and the Air Calvary surf boys 

Maybe the most bizarre movies of all time

I can believe this ones not been mentioned.
    Does everyone know what movie the above photo is from?
    Heartbreak ridge is a movie I can watch whenever it’s on. 
    Apocalypse Now always struck me as some weird ass acid trip thing...
    It is certainly different. So is how people respond to war. As out there as it seems alot of stuff happened in vietnam. There are people that tend to not cope so well and lose it. 
    Zee said:
    After the mentions…….watching it again. Fourth time. A must see!

My rifle looks just like that one!!!
    Im going to have to watch this now.
    Ive scrolled past it a hundred times.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,317 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Yeah, you need to stop and press play.  Good watch!!!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Netflix has suprised me with some of the movies that they themselves done. With all the recommendations Im sure Ill enjoy it. Just gunshy from having watched so many terrible war related movies.
    Has anyone watched The Liberator, or The Outpost?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,814 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    waipapa13 said:
    Band of Brothers would have to rate up near the top for me.

Gallipoli, the Peter Weir film, tears me up every time.

Honourable mention to Talvisotaa (sp?), a Finnish war film and the Battle of Britain, my favourite as a kid.

Forgot about Gallipoli!  Another youthful memory. 
    It's more about the aftermath of Gallipoli than the battle itself, but Russell Crowe did a movie a couple years back called The Water Diviner, which is well worth a couple hours.

As for Bridge on the River Kwai, a lot of the British veterans really didn't like that one - too much warm & fuzzy Hollywood and not enough starvation, dysentery, torture, etc...  The Railway Man starring Colin Firth & Nicole Kidman covers the true story of Eric Lomax - and is probably closer to the actual Burma Railroad experience.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,279 Senior Member
    I just re-watched one last night called "the Beast"!! It's from 1988 and about a Russian tank crew lost in the Afgan dessert!! Very interesting.
    See the source image
    edited August 28 #69
    Zee said:
    “Sniper, catch me up!”

”F*****s came out of nowhere and started shooting!  You’re caught up, Boss!”

Love this movie. 
    "What's it like gettin' shot?"

"I wouldn't recommend it." :D

Dear Santa,  Can I have a Vickers for Christmas? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?  (and a BREN too.  I have dies.  :D)
    WWJMBD?

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,682 Senior Member
    The Outpost (the one with Scott Eastwood) is an excellent movie about an action in Afghanistan that resulted in two living soldiers being awarded the Medal of Honor in the same action...

The Liberator was.,,well...it was weird.,,that semi-animated stuff doesn't really do it for me...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:
    waipapa13 said:
    Band of Brothers would have to rate up near the top for me.

Gallipoli, the Peter Weir film, tears me up every time.

Honourable mention to Talvisotaa (sp?), a Finnish war film and the Battle of Britain, my favourite as a kid.

Forgot about Gallipoli!  Another youthful memory. 
    It's more about the aftermath of Gallipoli than the battle itself, but Russell Crowe did a movie a couple years back called The Water Diviner, which is well worth a couple hours.

As for Bridge on the River Kwai, a lot of the British veterans really didn't like that one - too much warm & fuzzy Hollywood and not enough starvation, dysentery, torture, etc...  The Railway Man starring Colin Firth & Nicole Kidman covers the true story of Eric Lomax - and is probably closer to the actual Burma Railroad experience.

The Bridge on the River Kwai is, to put it nicely, a piss take.

I know it was not at all popular amongst my Grandfather (RAAF Pacific theatre vet, helped repatriate Burma-Siam Railway POW's) or my Dad's acquaintances (one of his managers was there, and a colleague)

It went over like a cup of cold sick for veterans, due to its inaccuracies and sparing use of truth.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,558 Senior Member
    Read the book. the movie does not do it justice.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,542 Senior Member
    I tried watching The Siege of Jadotville a year ago, but it was a chore after the first 30 minutes...slow....slow start. Watched the whole thing yesterday....Wow! One of the best out there. Worth the slow start.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Zee said:

It’s good. You should watch
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,897 Senior Member
    "The Outpost" is fantastic, and apparently a very accurate portrayal of the efforts that led to Clint Romesha and Ty Carter earning the MoH. 

"1917" is cinematically fascinating. 

"Blackhawk Down" is a classic, but a bit foreboding in my line of work. 

It's a documentary, but "They Shall Not Grow Old" is jaw-dropping in its dedication to detail. It deserves to be preserved in the Library of Congress. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,685 Senior Member
    It's a documentary, but "They Shall Not Grow Old" is jaw-dropping in its dedication to detail. It deserves to be preserved in the Library of Congress. 
    That was FANTASTIC!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    I dont know (excrement) about actual combat and the conditions in Afghanistan, but “The Outpost” was really good and gun wrenching.  I recommend it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,420 Senior Member
    Can't believe no on has mentioned Starship Troopers...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,542 Senior Member
    Oh.....I forgot...........

Starship Troopers .......

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Starship Troopers - - MEH.

Now ALIENS on the other hand. . .
    WWJMBD?

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,317 Senior Member
    Uhhhhh, Predator!!! 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,279 Senior Member
    The Last Full Measure
    Watch with a box of Kleenex near by.
    Streaming on Amazon

The Last Full Measure (2019 film) - Wikipedia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,682 Senior Member
    Just heads up....watch the Directors cut /extended version of Gods and Generals and Gettysburg...the theatrical versions left out A LOT...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    War of the Roses starring Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas and Danny DeVeto.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Zee said:

I finally clicked on play. Thanks for the heads up.
    I dont know (excrement) about actual combat and the conditions in Afghanistan, but “The Outpost” was really good and gun wrenching.  I recommend it.
    I finally got around to watching The Outpost. I didnt enjoy it as much as The Seige of Jaddotville. I just think the movie didnt live up to the story.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 510 Senior Member
    I finally got around to watching The Outpost. I didnt enjoy it as much as The Seige of Jaddotville. I just think the movie didnt live up to the story.
    If you look into the Medal of Honor series on Netflix, they have two episodes concerning the action at Kamdesh.  One focuses on Clint Romesha, the other on Ty Carter.  I have found the entire series to be worth watching.

Did not notice if it was mentioned in this thread, but I found Lone Survivor to be a compelling watch.  That movie really brought home to me the value of BUDS training - keep fighting until you are all done.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 408 Member
    The lone survivor book was so much better than the movie.  His trek from the battle until he was found by the villager was like 8 days, not a few minutes like the movie eluded .  Obviously a lot more details in the book.

Same for the sniper movie about Chris Kyle although I think it was well done.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,770 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    The lone survivor book was so much better than the movie.  His trek from the battle until he was found by the villager was like 8 days, not a few minutes like the movie eluded .  Obviously a lot more details in the book.

Same for the sniper movie about Chris Kyle although I think it was well done.
    I actually met Marcus Luttrell at the Command that I work for.  He gave our VIP drivers and myself a signed copy of his book with his  signature "Never Give Up".   In person, he is a very quiet and humble man.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Some_Mook said:
    If you look into the Medal of Honor series on Netflix, they have two episodes concerning the action at Kamdesh.  One focuses on Clint Romesha, the other on Ty Carter.  I have found the entire series to be worth watching.

Did not notice if it was mentioned in this thread, but I found Lone Survivor to be a compelling watch.  That movie really brought home to me the value of BUDS training - keep fighting until you are all done.
    I have not watched the Medal of Honor Series. I think my problem was knowing the story and the area and I was just hoping for a bit more. I will say this Afghanistan is a beautiful country. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,405 Senior Member
    edited September 7 #91
    They Were Expendable favorite of mine, and I'm a fan of WW2 movies.  Worst is one I saw the other night:"Manila Calling."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.