Home Main Category General Firearms

WWII Sniper rifle with 10 round Mag

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 2,381 Senior Member
Ok I'm a gun nut, I watched a WWII BS movie '"The Finale". There was a squad sniper rifle I didn't recognize and is driving me nuts! It had a high rise scope on h right of the receiver and a ten round mag as best I could tell. The bolt was left off center 30 degrees from the top. The front sight appeared much like the SMLE sights. I couldn't pause it or get a good look at it as I was watching the movie with my wife. My research his evening has left me with a covid head ache and I'm not willing to peruse this! Help me!
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,829 Senior Member
    Is the name of the movie The Final Stand?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    It's not a M-N?  The movie is presumably about a Russian fight against Nazis. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,381 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #4
     It was about an American squad that kind of fell into a mission to rescue a nuclear scientist out of Germany a the end of WWII.

No it's not a M-N, SMLE, 98, 03A3 or 1917. I saw a similar scope on an other rifle but not the rifle.

I'm trying to find the movie.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    Operation Finale does not have an entry on the IMFDB, so the easy way to find the answer is out.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    Do you remember which side had the rifle?  Axis, Allies, or what nation?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,382 Senior Member
    British No.4 MK1 (T)?

Larger, protruding, or bulging mags with protective sight ears from the era:

The No. 4 and No. 1 versions of the Lee Enfield family
    The P14 and M1917
    The Finnish variants of the Mosin Nagant (Don't think there was ever a sniper version)
    Some of the Swiss straight-pulls - K31 possibly
    M1 Garand C or D sniper models

1903 Spingfield, Russian Mosin, and French MAS front sight protectors/hoods were round

The Czechs had Mauser 98 short rifles that had sight ears and different sling configurations, but they were otherwise pretty much straight bolt handle K98's.  A lot of Europe was using '98's of some description (usually made by CZ or FN) when the war kicked off, and the Germans supplemented their inventory with all of them when they steamrolled the continent.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

The Finnish variants of the Mosin Nagant (Don't think there was ever a sniper version)

The Finns experimented with sniper rifles, making about 400 using a Physica 3X scope (which was actually designed as a mortar and machine gun scope) fitted to M/27s and was styled as the M/37 using Tikkakoski barrels.  The scope was also fitted to a few M/39s but was an awkward design and not considered successful.  They built nine prototypes of sniper versions of the M/28.  They also mounted Zeiss scopes on a few (25 or so) M/28-30s.  During WWII, the M/39 became the standard Finnish sniper rifle and and was fitted with German M43 'Ajacks' sniper scopes, and later a Finnish copy of this scope was mounted on 100 M39s that were designated at M/39-44.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    edited September 2021 #9
    I'm still trying to find the movie again, I'm driving my wife nuts! It may have been Enemy Lines" but the trailer doesn't match well. The rifle didn't have a standard bolt on the right, the high rise scope mount was there. It appeared to be a t bolt action or semi and the right handed shooter had to reach his right hand over the scope to manipulate it. I saw the same scope on an M1C sniper rifle but the rifle I saw was different. The rifle was used by a squad sniper in the beginning of the movie be he is killed and the lead actor picks it up.

Edit: update it's not "Enemy Lines"

The movie started at near he end of WWII just prior to the Battle of the Bulge. This squad was give a gravy assignment of delivering caned ham to two different OPs. They ran into the spear head of the German attack, the German 12th Panzer. Their escape takes them to a burned out out post where they found an OSS survivor with a brief case and plans for getting the scientist out of Germany. 
    edited September 2021 #10
    Company of Heroes is the movie you are describing

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    THAT'S IT! I've been working on this all morning! Thank you! And that's the rifle!
    edited September 2021 #12
    G43 semi auto.

With a really kludged-together scope mount.  I don't think I've seen one set up to take 20+ MOA AWAY from your elevation adjustment.   :D
    WWJMBD?

edited September 2021 #13
    OK that appears to be a Gewehr 43 with a different scope mount and an American scope from Garand sniper rifle.

Springfield-Garand-Sniper-M1-D-Rifle_100720954_19081_546B2F06FF2CDE14.jpg (3000×1641) (gunsinternational.com)
    edited September 2021 #14

Though most G/K43s are equipped with a telescopic sight mounting rail, the vast majority of the rifles were issued in their standard infantry form without a scope.

When equipped with a scope, it was exclusively the ZF 4 4-power telescopic sight. 

No other known scope and scope mount combinations were installed by the German military on G/K43's during World War II.

Many strange variations have shown up after the war, but all have been proven to be the work of amateur gunsmiths.

How it should look:

edited September 2021 #15
    I had never seen anything like it. As I started researching it I found the scope but not the rifle. Since an American was using the rifle I didn't think it would be a German rifle. In addition the American scope sent me in the wrong direction. What were the film makers thinking? No GI would have time to fabricate that Frankenrifle.
    Freezer said
     What were the film makers thinking? 

It was a low budget film based off of a video game.

If you want to watch a fictional movie where the Director took pains to provide historically  accurate details, watch 1917 and look at how the actor's boot laces were tied.
    Freezer said:
    I had never seen anything like it. As I started researching it I found the scope but not the rifle. Since an American was using the rifle I didn't think it would be a German rifle. In addition the American scope sent me in the wrong direction. What were the film makers thinking? No GI would have time to fabricate that Frankenrifle.
    Brad Pitt rocked a Sturmgeweher in Fury, arguably because there was nothing else comparable to it on the field at the time - though practically, an M1 carbine would have been just as useful for a guy using tank-mounted MG's as his primaries.

Barry Pepper's 1903 sniper rig in Saving Private Ryan was mocked up as some hybrid blurring the lines between the Army's 1903-A4 with a small, low-powered optic (2.5x, IIRC) on Redfield receiver mounts and the USMC's M1941 with the long 8x Unertl with QD mounts somewhere along the barrel.  I haven't dug into it enough to see if it was actually two rifles.  Presumably, this was done because Spielberg thought it was cool????  

I think it was somewhere in the Spielberg/Hanks WWII works where we see a 1911-A1. . .with Springfield Armory Inc's (COUGH!) "Mil Spec" three dot sights and slanted slide serrations.

None of this is as bad as the Nat-Geo Bonnie & Clyde documentary with re-enactments featuring a Mossberg 500, a sliver Colt Python with Pachmayr grips, a Beretta 92, NO 1911's to be seen anywhere, and "Frank Hamer" using a shotgun at the ambush.  That one should earn a public flogging for someone.
    WWJMBD?

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    That rifle in Mook's post will shoot VERY low, I think.  It's as bad as it gets, someone said it's based on a video game.  My word. Even a pimply=faced fat gamer ought to demand more accuracy than that monster.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,137 Senior Member
    Yes...Company of Hero's was so incredibly bad, I put in a request to get back the 15 minutes of my life I wasted watching it....incredibly bad...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"