Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun you've had the longest

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,615 Senior Member
edited September 2021 in General Firearms #1
For me it's a Remington 582 .22 bolt action tube feed.  I've had it since the mid 70s, traded a Remington Speedmaster .BDL for it and got some boot.  It's taken a LOT of pigeons and other varmints.  I haven't cleaned it in years. :smiley:

So what is yours?  Not the oldest, just the one you've held on to the longest. The actual gun you can lay hands on.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    The family guns.
    Ones I shot as a kid.

22's  shotguns and an old high standard.

Still have the first two I bought in the early 80's  as well.

300 Weatherby mark V and an anschutz 1418

A few years ago I found another 1418 and we'll now I have two.
    I'm weak like that.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    My S&W model 19-6.. Bought NIB sometime in the early 1990's.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 624 Senior Member
    an old Remington .300 Savage my dad got from his dad built in the 30s as far as i can find I started deer hunting with it around 75 or so and used it for a long time its now retired or more like I haven't hunted with it for a long time but I fire it and clean it every year
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,207 Senior Member
    I have no freaking idea…. I’e owned guns since my teens but I really didn’t start “collecting” guns until I was in my 30s and never really went full force until shortly before joining this site a while back.  Since then, a lot of water has gone under my bridge…

Most of the guns I had decades ago have been sold/traded as part of my ongoing effort to upgrade and refine the collection.

I think my Kimber 84 is probably the one gun I’m sure I’ll never sell.  It was a gift from my wife and my first really nice rifle and it has taken a LOT of deer in my life.  It might just be the gun I’ve held on to the longest.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,522 Senior Member
    Single-Shot 22lr rifle, and a Ithaca Model 37 20 Gauge shotgun, since 1967.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,378 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #7
    Up until 6 years ago I had my childhood guns. When I moved cross country I gave my boys their inheritance guns except one, a 37a Winchester that I always hated, all from the early 70s.

I kept a Mossberg 5500 MkII and that's my oldest. I bought it in the late 80s while Christmas shopping in October at K Mart. Rossie O'Donnell had convinced K Mart that guns were bad and everything they had was half off. I had a 20% off coupon and still had to put it on lay a way. It cost me $238 out the door. It has gone through a few changes through the years including a commo synthetic stock. I have a side mount scope bracket, rifled slug barrel, three different length smooth barrels and all the chokes I need. The best shotgun in the world, no!   Its light, versatile fits well and has never failed me not even in the wet muddy brackish duck swamps.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Bill2Bill2 Posts: 3 New Member
    Belgium Browning Sweet 16 in 1975 for my 16th birthday. It’s not going anywhere!
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 339 Member
    My birthday gift from the parents in 1971. Glenfield / Marlin 25
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,930 Senior Member
    Winchester 94 in 1968 that is still in my gun safe and next one was the Colt Frontier scout that is my avatar 1969 also in the gun safe.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,694 Senior Member
    I can’t remember if it’s the Marlin 60(actually it’s a Glenfield) or the Ithaca M37 my dad passed down when he won a shotgun at a raffle. Both were around 1975. Still have both. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    Remington 760 Gamemaster pump action 30-06.  Inherited when I was 12 years old and my uncle passed away

Any wonder that I like goofy guns and big boomers?  I “plinked” with that for a long time before I bought a .22LR
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    Winchester model 59 12ga, had it since 1965.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,413 Senior Member
    I have a savage 72 falling block chambered in 22lr. It’s  a copy of a Stevens Favorite. I received it as a Christmas present in 1982. 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,037 Senior Member
    The one i've had the longest is my 1955 Win M-70 FTW .358 caliber bought it new in 1960, Prior to that was a Win M-1894 .32 Win. Spc. bought used about 1951 - 52 stolen in 58, and a unknown brand single shot .22 S,L, LR got it about 48 -49 from Sykes hardware , 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Rafterman said:
    My birthday gift from the parents in 1971. Glenfield / Marlin 25
    That was my first gun too!  I sold it a long time ago when I got “better” .22s and a few years back I was lucky enough to find EXACTLY the same gun again so I bought it to correct my mistake.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,552 Senior Member
    Either my Ruger Single Six or my Weatherby Vanguard VGX in .30-06 Springfield. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,566 Senior Member
    Winchester model 94XTR in 30-30 bought sometime in 1979 I believe. Bought before I was old enough for a handgun so it saw many miles as my backpack gun trekking through the Bitterroots of Montana.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,566 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Glenfield Model 60 
    Christmas gift in 1977
    That was actually my first firearm as well. I unfortunately don't still have it and my brother won't give it back :p
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    :disappointed: some brother 
    I just dont think youve tried hard enough.
    he seemed alright to me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Remington 12 ga 11-48 got it in 1953
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I still have the first gun I ever bought:  Winchester Model 70 Sporter LT in 7mm Rem Mag.  I bought it to go hunting with a new friend I made back in 1998 or so. 
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    For what it’s worth I own a lot of other folks first guns  B)
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,413 Senior Member
    For what it’s worth I’m a unicorn wrangler……🤣
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    For what it’s worth I’m a unicorn wrangler……🤣
    A WORLD CLASS Unicorn Wrangler… 🥂🍾
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    A mag fed 22 bolt action given to me by my brother in 1967. It was ancient then. It hasn't been fired (or cleaned, really) since '74. I really need to do both before long.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,277 Senior Member
    A mag fed 22 bolt action given to me by my brother in 1967. It was ancient then. It hasn't been fired (or cleaned, really) since '74. I really need to do both before long.

Mike
    That might be worth a try on a Pdog trip.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11