Home Main Category Clubhouse

When getting married avoid horses and unicorns :)

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,297 Senior Member
When getting married, try to avoid horses and unicorns :) It's more danger than romantic!  My  guess the horse and the unicorn just didn't want to be in the wedding.  Just another guess but I'm thinking the unicorn didn't like the bridleless it! :)  Could also have been the English saddles.  You tend to stay in a western saddle better :) 

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,299 Senior Member
    It was the husbands fault............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,735 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    It was the husbands fault............
    Doubtless...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,749 Senior Member
    "Ladies will ride side saddle please..."
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 1,734 Senior Member
    Worked ok for us…

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,297 Senior Member
    Nice pictures!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Nice pictures!

It was a great day!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    The difference is you know how to ride.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    There is that…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,185 Senior Member
    edited September 27 #11
    The difference is you know how to ride.
    ^ That..

I once had a friend of a friend come out to my place and asked if she could ride my horse. Went on and on about how experienced she was, although her "experience" was riding English saddles. My old roping gelding was as gentle as you'd ever find, so I saddled him up for her. I repeatedly and very clearly explained to her that he isn't an English riding horse and he was VERY light headed.. go easy on the reins. As soon as she started to step up in to the saddle, she yanked back on the reins, which made my horse start backing up really quickly, so she decided the best thing to do was pull back on the reins harder. All the while, I'm yelling at her to let go of the reins. He ended up backing up so hard he slipped and rolled over on his side. Luckily she jumped off in time. She decided she didn't want to ride any more. And of course, it was all my horse's fault..  :s  So I got on him and rode him around a while to calm him down and show that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my horse. 

Part of what I did for work as a teenager was take out trail rides for my employer. Usually a bunch of people with no business being on a horse. At the time the German Air Force was in the area doing joint training over here and word got out that they could go ride horses with us. Those people were NUTS! 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    I got conned into one of those resort head to tail rides once. They had a Percheron and I asked if I could take him. He was one big bored cold blood and he ambled along at his own pace. I let the group get way out in front which wasnt hard at "silent running" and got him set into a "ahead slow" trot that only a draft can do. We came up on the group BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. His ears were up and his head was bobbing he was having fun. The folks in charge were laughing at us.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

During my horse training apprenticeship I took a LOT of trail rides out for the trainer we were working with and in many cases they were training rides, teaching folks how to stay safe while trail riding.  It’s very difficult for folks to differentiate between RIDING a horse and sitting on a horse for a ride.  One of the two activities requires knowledge.

Well trained horses, specially those that have bonded with a rider in particular, do not like a change in riders, specially really spirited horses.  My old horse Eagle, who had zero patience with other folks, dumped his previous owner the trainer that sold him to me.  He tried to ask the horse to do something the way he used to do it after the horse was with me for years and when the horse didn’t want to he lost his patience with him and my horse summarily SLAMMED him into the ground.  When he dusted himself off I came over and he smiled and said, “that was my fault” and limped away.

I’ve had folks bore me to tears with their exploits on horseback to then (in one memorable occasion) fall off a horse that was standing totally still!  I learned people lie about their experience and they totally lie about the horses they bring in for training all the time.  After getting off a horse that the owner told me only needed a little “tuning” I walked back and told the owner I knew exactly the cure for his horses problems.  When he asked what it was I said “A lead pill behind his right ear.”
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬