Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger LCR for my Mom!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,558 Senior Member
edited September 2021 in General Firearms #1
Due to the current state of our situation, I’ve told my (almost 80 year old) mom, who lives with me, not to go outside and play with her chickens and tend her garden without a gun. I’d given her a .22lr revolver as that’s what I had and felt she could handle. 
Well, a mutual friend of ours didn’t feel that was adequate. So, he gifted her a Ruger .38 Spl +P LCR and a bunch of ammo!!!
I am honored, pleased, shocked, and appreciative. Take care of people and they will take care of you. Always been a mentality. 

Lots of good ammo there!  And my mom is a tough lady!  Hell, she raised me as a single mom without going insane. I’ve watched her protect her chickens and kill raccoons and possum with HER BARE HANDS!!!  At almost 80 years old, I can’t slow her down. I can just give her the tools to carry on. 
So, I took the LCR to the range today to make sure that it worked and would group the 148gr WC ammo that I want her to start off with and use. It’s not the best defensive ammo compared to what our friend gave her, but I want her to have low recoil and hit what she aims at. To start with at least. 
At 10 yards, the gun did what I wanted it to do. I will work with her to get her proficient with the firearm. We’ve already been dry firing. 
And with the new law in Texas, I hope to get her carrying 24/7. 

If I can work her up to some of the +P ammo, that would be great. If not, hitting the target is most important. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    Accurate low recoiling wadcutters will work, just keep shooting.
    It's still an upgrade over 22 lr.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,558 Senior Member

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Nice choice...been carrying one on those non-1911 days for a few years...haven't found any fault with it yet...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    That’s encouraging. 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    I had one and loved it until it was lost to a thief.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,568 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #7
    That seems a perfect answer for the problem in my mind. Been seriously considering the 3" LCR-X as a trail gun in 38+p flavor. 
    They catalog one in .357 mag but I've yet to see one. The 38's and .22's show up much more frequently.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    It's made in a very good shape for carrying.

The cartridge has its strengths.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,216 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #9
    Excellent choice!  You are installing an FO front sight on for her right?
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 624 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    That seems a perfect answer for the problem in my mind. Been seriously considering the 3" LCR-X as a trail gun in 38+p flavor. 
    They catalog one in .357 mag but I've yet to see one. The 38's and .22's show up much more frequently.
    I carried the 357 as a pocket gun for a few years and still do sometimes wait til you find one you will be happier or just buy both
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    I shot some +P .38 spl once in a LCR and will not again except in an emergency.

I'm almost 80, personally I would stick to just .38 special in a LCR and do. 
    Excellent choice!  You are installing an FO front sight on for her right?
    Didn’t know they made one. I’ll have to look. 
    Found it. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Found it. 

It is in stock on Amazon, you can have at your door on Tuesday 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

BAM!!

Thanks!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,216 Senior Member
    Zee said:

BAM!!

Thanks!
    Always happy to spend your money.  I thought mom would appreciate it 😁
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Interesting, soon as i could get it was Tuesday.  Must be because you are a good shoe salesman
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Or closer. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,140 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Found it. 

Mine came installed with one from the factory..
    Damned useful front sight...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,389 Senior Member
    That's a good friend you've got!

I've run a good handful of LCR's as they've come my way.  They are certainly "weird" if you've grown up thinking of revolvers as belonging in a certain box (i.e. milled metal), but the DAO triggers are smooth and the grips do a good job of dealing with recoil.  I think it's a great choice for your mom.

Check out the "Defend" side of Winchester's Train/Defend.  It's a 130 grain +P with talons a little less "fangy" than the duty auto T-series.  As I recall, penetrates acceptably well for a snubby load.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I’ll either run the factory ammo I have or the handloads I’ve made. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    The hot loads are unpleasant for me out of my Jframe, my Ruger LCR, and my Taurus 85, doable, but mean, and I am not sure what I am gaining with all that muzzle blast and recoil. The LCR seems to tame the recoil a bit compared to the others, the sight you ordered is a good addition, I added lasers to the Jframe and the Taurus and we do ok with front sight-red dot-bang, that sequence is tougher with heavier and hotter loads. I look at ours as close contact guns only, as in get off me. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    It’s the same purpose for my Mom. That, and snakes. Her first shot is snake shot. Then, four wadcutters after that. For now. 
    I was thinking mom and a semi auto .22 Magnum and some TNT varmint tips would put her on the "when nature says don't touch list". I do have a "youth" 10-22 that is a hoot to play with and is very light. I guess what I am saying is mom needs a rifle to go with the revolver. :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    She has my .22 WMR Single Six and a NEF .410ga Shotgun in her room as options too. 
    Mom needs to try magazine fed, Ruger in particular.
    Meh, she grew up with revolvers and single shot shotguns. 
    Zee said:
    Meh, she grew up with revolvers and single shot shotguns. 
    She might outshoot you ;) Get her plinking off the porch, she will move up to the "yard art" quickly :D  
    Oh Hell yeah!!  I love HiViz Sights!
    They don’t teach you these techniques at gunsmith school. This is cutting edge!!

Needed a third hand to get the pin started. I subbed a foot. 
    Then, moved it to the vice to finish it off like a civilized human. 

End result. Muuuuuuuch mo betters!

You need a Bigger FH
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Oh Hell yeah!!  I love HiViz Sights!
    They don’t teach you these techniques at gunsmith school. This is cutting edge!!

Needed a third hand to get the pin started. I subbed a foot. 
    Then, moved it to the vice to finish it off like a civilized human. 

End result. Muuuuuuuch mo betters!

I'm just glad you shaved your toes before posting 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain