Home Main Category General Firearms

Experience with AR-Comp

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,269 Senior Member
Gentlemen,
As the lack of reloading components continues, I am exploring other propellants to replace my all time favorite (Varget). I'm down to about 2# (> or <) of Varget, and looking forward, I could be lacking components to load the required number of rounds for future planned matches, let alone practice ammo.

My requirements are specialized, but a general opinion opinion is welcome.   

The cartridge/ projectile is,

308W  30" barrel 1-12 TR,
Berger 155 Hybrid Target or Sierra Palma (#2156)

As I consider various propellants, none of which readily available, I have noticed that Alliant products seem to appear more often then most.

I would like to learn of any ones experience with AR- Comp, primarily in larger cartridges such as 308. If all you have used this is in 223 or others, I'd still like to know your opinion.

This product has been described to be between RL-15 & Varget as far as burn rate is concerned, with improved temperature tolerances along the line of the various Hodgdon Extreme products.

I have experimented with (in no particular order) with varying results.

Benchmark
VV N140 & N150
H-4895 
IMR 4895
Leverevolution
IMR 4166

Thank you in advance.

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,366 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #2
    I got several pounds of AR Comp from an estate sale last year. I haven't tried it in anything yet. I still have a pretty good stash of Varget and H4895 and many of my established loads use those powders, so I haven't had the need to start experimenting with it. Be curious to see what you come up with.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    I have played with it in 6.5 Grendel and have had decent success with it, but I do tend to get higher velocities with H4895 or Varget. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    edited September 2021 #4
    I haven’t found any but I have been meaning to add it to my stash for testing after seeing several videos on YouTube on it by Johnny’s reloading bench.  Worth testing myself in 223 I think.

(I would post you a link to his .223 or 6.5 Grendel videos but I am not sure it is within this site’s terms)

Alliant 2020 manual says  43.2 grains should give you  2920fps with your bullet choice.