Concealed Carry for Overweight Men

tracker1304tracker1304 New MemberPosts: 1 New Member
As the years have passed, my waist has increased with my age. I am now at the point where my waist is larger than my hips. I prefer to carry my SIG 239 (40S&W) on my right side. However, the weight (all steel) tends to pull my pants down. Other than suspenders or diet, is there a better way to carry?

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    What type of belt are you using ???
    I like shoulder holsters Myself.

A good belt and properly fitting pants go a long way in your pants not falling down, if you CCW, you can't really dress like you used to before CCW, for good tips see how detectives in your local dress for concealment.
    Also a holster store for LEO's is a great place for advice too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    My best advice is to get a good belt, purpose designed for carrying a gun.

Just about all holster makers offer leather gunbelts that look just like a regular belt, just more heavy duty. Personally I'm partial to the nylon "instructors" belts.
    You do not have to limit yourself to belt carry, there are any number of jackets and vests, some of them comfortable level ll ballistic wear too, that can accommodate a wide variety of holsters.
    There are many options out there.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I did suspenders and a very good belt, and lost a few inches around the mid-section. That allows a cover garment to drape properly, but, unfortunately, a lot of my weight loss seemed to come from my hips, so it didn't help me to keep my pants up - especially since I like to carry a 13+1 .45 and a spare mag.

So, I usually wear a t-shirt with suspenders over it, then another loose fitting shirt over that, un-tucked. That's a little warm in the summer, so sometimes I wear the suspenders without the undershirt, and lately I've been carrying a single stack compact .40 (Kahr K-40) occasionally, on warm days, because it's easier to conceal under light clothing. If you go that route, get 2-3 pairs of Perry-type suspenders with the plastic belt clips, so you can rotate them out and wash them regularly.

Stylish, they ain't - but then who really cares what a middle-aged man with a beer belly and underslung butt looks like, anyway? :tooth:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Get a fanny pac and carry one section with a snack bag sticking out, perfect disguise.

I use a pac in summer, no one runs away screaming gun, contrary to the Internet fable about fanny pacs.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Get a fanny pac and carry one section with a snack bag sticking out, perfect disguise.

I use a pac in summer, no one runs away screaming gun, contrary to the Internet fable about fanny pacs.

:agree: :applause: well it seems that like me many get that budwieser tumor:beer:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    Get a fanny pac and carry one section with a snack bag sticking out, perfect disguise. I use a pac in summer, no one runs away screaming gun, contrary to the Internet fable about fanny pacs.
    I have a black, rectangular 5"x7" pack that was designed for CCW. It has an internal velcro fastened divider flap that will carry a HG on one side, and assorted other stuff on the other. Also has an external flap pouch for an extra magazine. Used with a 1.5" leather belt is a perfect solution for wearing in hot weather with shorts or long pants.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Fanny packs are an option I hadn't thought about in a while. I'm seeing more and more these days, especially in tourist-type areas, but also for the grocery runs and other errands in a less urban area, and I wonder less and less about whether the wearer is packing.

Only the "gun-wise" folks will think of the larger packs carrying guns, most everyday Joe's won't think about it, especially after the wearer pulls out wallet or checkbook in the checkout line, or fishes car keys out. The truly knowing and perceptive might look for the little pull string some of them have that hangs out of the zipper for quick opening for a draw.

In my gun-shop days, I do recall one guy that was a little obvious, though. He strolled through the door sporting a stylish striped dress shirt with silk tie, pinstripe gray dress pants of good quality, well-polished wing-tips, and a nylon fanny pack that was all out of place with the clothes. He wound up being a detective for the local PD, but I though at that time that he should have probably invested in a less out-of-place bag, maybe one of the black leather ones that are available. If someone's looking for it, that out of character bag might be the difference.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Welcome Tracker.

Those Maxpedition fanny packs are pretty cool, about as cool as a fanny pack can get.
    Another option, might be to go to a smaller gun, like a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LC9, and pocket carry. My PM9 doesn't weigh much more than a big wallet, and is a breeze to pocket carry.
    Yet another option, maybe go to a crossbreed style IWB holster. I find that the large leather backer spreads the load out, so your body kinda pushes the gun against your belt, without it digging into your side. They are also very adjustable, you can change the cant to better contour to your body.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Diet will be the ideal thing for a myriad of reasons you know but meanwhile 5.11 makes a pretty cool fanny pack that will fit very large waists, fit me with more room still when I had a 54" waist... it is not so obvious as it keeps the gun in a "covert" very fast to access way, what you see does not look like a fanny pack where a gun will fit.

http://www.buyholsters.com/511-select-carry-pistol-pouch
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I carry IWB in a CrossBreeed with a very good belt. No problems.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I carry IWB in a CrossBreeed with a very good belt. No problems.

Crossbreed Supertuck riding on a Crossbreed belt inside shorts and T-shirt works well with my XD 45. Just get a shirt a size over and I'm good to go.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I sympathize, mine tend to fall down without the gun. You could try suspenders to hold up the belt. You know the best thing would be to loose the bulk.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    But until the bulk is lost, good pants also go a long way too, ever notice how uniform pants have some sort of grippy rubber stripes in the waistband to prevent them from falling down ?
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member

I don't know about the internet fable but around here, if you look local and you have a fanny pack, you're probably armed, or gay, or a tourist, or armed and gay, or a gay tourist, or an armed tourist, or a gay, armed, tourist.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    What if it was Justin Bieber using a Maxpedition pack ???

Probably to carry his lil pony doll.