Home Main Category General Firearms

Bond Arms Upgrade - New .45 Colt Barrel

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,561 Senior Member
Took about 2.5 months, but my new barrel finally came in from Bond Arms. Now I have an Itty Bitty and a Less Itty Bitty .45 cal barrel. 

.45 ACP 2.5”
.45 Colt 4.25”

I just loaded up some 240gr Matt’s Bullets HBWC (Reversed) with 8.0gr Trail Boss. 
Gonna see what kind of velocity and accuracy I get. If satisfactory…….I’ll shoot the last one into water jugs. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    I'll hold your beer 😁
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member

Recoil was cake at 846 fps and accuracy at 10 feet acceptable. 

I might kick it up another grain of Trail Boss and see what happens. 
    Going for 9gr. 

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    "That'll do Donkey, that'll do." 👍

Acceptable accuracy for close work. Plus a 240 gr bullet @ 846 fps for 381 ft-lbs and a PF of 203...
    If it expands the way I think it will, it's already an acceptable pocket gun.
    Bump it up anyway, let's see what happens 🍺

At 203 PF and a huge hollow point, it already hits harder than 45 ACP factory ball (~195 PF)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity, if you were to crimp them in the other lube groove, would the round still chamber and do you think it would have enough bearing surface in the case to stay put in a double barrel gun? Could give some room for a few more grains of Trail Boss. But, I haven't used those bullets and am just going off the picture of it on Matt's website, so I can't really tell how long they would be and how much bullet would be in the case if that was tried.
    Not much velocity increase. But, accuracy seems to have improved. 

Gonna send this one through water. 
    Improved accuracy, (~ 400 ft-lbs @ ~ 208 PF). I'll take it.

Let's see the jug test.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Jay said:
    Just out of curiosity, if you were to crimp them in the other lube groove, would the round still chamber and do you think it would have enough bearing surface in the case to stay put in a double barrel gun? Could give some room for a few more grains of Trail Boss. But, I haven't used those bullets and am just going off the picture of it on Matt's website, so I can't really tell how long they would be and how much bullet would be in the case if that was tried.
    I’ll look. But, seriously doubt they would chamber. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Just in time for winter!
    Winner!  Winner!  Chicken  Dinner!!!

A most awesome result. Stand by……

I’ve learned to place jugs on the side of what I anticipate to be the max depth in order to stop Bullets that angle off course. 

The bullet exited the 3rd jug and bounced off the 4th as seen in these pics. 

Retained 236.9gr of its 240gr original weight and expanded to .870” in diameter!!
    Yes. I am very happy. Time well spent. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #13
    Zee said:
    Jay said:
    I’ll look. But, seriously doubt they would chamber. 
    I kinda thought so too. And based on your water jug test and accuracy, it doesn't look like it really needs that much more speed compared to the hassle of messing with it. And with that barrel lenght, might be at the point of diminishing returns anyway. I was just curious. I've never ordered those bullets. I've used probably around 1500 of his 245 grain gas checked SWCs for target shooting in 454 Casull cases. I still have the urge to send one of those at a good 1400 FPS just to see.. But I'm still lobbing them out there with Trail Boss. No real reason to push them faster, other than just 'cause... 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    nice effect, hey.
    NN said:
    nice effect, hey.
    That was my impression also. Good penetration and Nice hydrodynamic response 👍 (Obnoxious way of saying Splash Effect)

That'll make a good around the farm gun or even a pocket gun.

Now we need to see the snake shot results. (You know I like your artwork 🤣)

That should last me a little bit out of this derringer. 
    Spk said:
    NN said:
    nice effect, hey.

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    Were you able to order your barrel direct from Bond Arms?  Back when I got my Snake Slayer IV, Bond Arms sent me a free .357 barrel direct to my house, and at that time one could order barrels direct from them.  When I happened to look at their website the other day, there was a note that barrels must be ordered through a dealer now, and of course every dealer that I found was 'back-order' only.   :(
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    Some_Mook said:
    Were you able to order your barrel direct from Bond Arms?  Back when I got my Snake Slayer IV, Bond Arms sent me a free .357 barrel direct to my house, and at that time one could order barrels direct from them.  When I happened to look at their website the other day, there was a note that barrels must be ordered through a dealer now, and of course every dealer that I found was 'back-order' only.   :(
    Unfortunately no. I had to order it through my LGS. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Narley shrooms dude!
    :-)
    Zee said:
    Spk said:
    NN said:
    nice effect, hey.

It’s late. This is the Snek you get. 

From 3’ away. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    Looks like a dead snake
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee said:
    Spk said:
    NN said:
    nice effect, hey.

:D

Diver43 said:
    Looks like a dead snake

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,040 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    I'll hold your beer 😁
    You might as well drink it for him too - after pulling the trigger on that mouse gun, his hand isn't gonna feel like holding much for a bit! ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    I'll hold your beer 😁
    You might as well drink it for him too - after pulling the trigger on that mouse gun, his hand isn't gonna feel like holding much for a bit! ;)
    Yeah, but I'm sure he was smiling through the pain 🤣

Btw, I like that snake shot pattern. That's a dead snake.

Ironically, this was a very pleasant day in that regard. 
    Gotta love Trail Boss. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,081 Senior Member
    That is a pretty cool project- an impressive performance.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,233 Senior Member
    That is a pretty cool project- an impressive performance.
    Agreed!  That’s one segment of the gun world I’ve always ignored and now I see they do have a purpose.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    My guess is a lighter bullet and/or a higher speed will get the barrels shooting closer together - -  assuming of course that they're actually parallel.   You got a pocket double rifle son - better regulate it properly. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:
    My guess is a lighter bullet and/or a higher speed will get the barrels shooting closer together - -  assuming of course that they're actually parallel.   You got a pocket double rifle son - better regulate it properly. :D
    I have some 185gr Gold Dot that I’ve been unable to find load data in .45 Colt with powders I have. So, I’m going to try the Trail Boss method I just used for the 240gr Bullets and fill the case to the bottom of the bullet   See what speed I get.