Home Main Category Clubhouse

Covid aftermath, nearly a year out

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,470 Senior Member
edited October 2021 in Clubhouse #1

It's been nearly a year since I left the hospital after 40 days with Covid. My progress has been very much up and down. My lingering effects of this terrible disease is fatigue, getting out of breath quickly and memory loss. Now the good news. I was accepted into UT Southwesters Long Haulers Covid study. I had a four-hour appointment last week with a lot of testing. The doc said my lungs & heart look great especially since I was on a vent for 6 days. After reviewing all of my previous CT scans, x-rays and all the test I’ve done over the last year including that days test results.  His simple explanation was that the heart, lungs and brain just aren't working together properly. Part of this is my arteries, blood vessels and capillaries have narrowed a bit over the past year restricting blood and oxygen flow.  There was a ton of physiology behind his findings.  He did his best to simplify it a dumb it down for my wife and myself so we could understand it. He said my body is working like an old battery that has a memory problem. When it's fully charged it's only around 20 to 25% or so. Thus, my shortness of breath and getting fatigued so quickly, my battery drains quickly. The goal is reset my body back to 90 to 100% full charge.

I'm now on a prescribed workout plan to keep my heart rate around 125/130 for 30 min to an hour a day which means walking or riding my bike and lifting weights. The week of Nov 1st I start five weeks of EEC Flow Therapy. EEC Flow therapy begins by lying down on a padded therapy table, where EECP compression cuffs (similar to blood pressure cuffs) are wrapped around my calves, thighs, lower hips and arms. Then, using an EKG machine, a computer regulates the inflation and deflation of cuffs in rhythm with your heart. It imitates the benefits of passive exercise without straining the heart, leading to improved circulation, increased cardiac capacity, reductions in joint pain, reduced shortness of breath, and increased stamina. The before and after sonogram pictures of the body's arteries and blood vessel changes over three weeks are incredible. The program has now been extended to 5 weeks. They'll take sonogram pics of my heart and arteries at the beginning and after the first two weeks and then bi-weekly to measure progress. During this time, I'll still do my normal walking, biking and lifting.

Once done with the 5 weeks (25 sessions) he's going to do few pure oxygen treatments in a hyperbaric chamber at two atmospheres. As most here know I’m a huge scuba diver and want nothing better to be able to dive again.  At the end of these sessions, he'll have a pretty good idea if I can re-enter the water and dive again, or what else I'll need to do to get there. However, he seemed very positive and optimistic with my prognosis going forward!

Workouts are going well and I’m looking forward to the Flow therapy, I'll give updates after a few weeks of Flow therapy and when I finish!

The disease sucks!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,261 Senior Member
    You have come a long ways Jeff.  I hope you are blowing bubbles again in the near future.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,160 Senior Member
     o:) stick with it, hey. Eagerly hoping for good news. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,371 Senior Member
    Very cool you got involved with a study, post up your results please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,493 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #5
    You are going to crush it.  GO brother go!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,516 Senior Member
    for what its worth....

Since you had COVID and been hospitalized for it you may want to start a journal on your journey back to "normal" life.

Even if you are not a writer or want to write in a real book, start up a write document and just document your journey.  

add how you "feel" now if you want and or put in any specific info such as "walk 1 block or up the stairs" without being winded, or maybe do 5 pushups without passing out...ect  Just make it for your consumption later down the road if you want.

Ive started one years ago when i got some upper respiratory bug at work.  My 1st time fencing with a bug like that and so every so offen now, i get to have it again.  I just got back from S.America and was dehydrated on the long plane ride back and developed it - it again.  My dentist and doctor thought it was COVID and i was tested for it before i left S.America to get back into the USA. My dentist thought it was COVID and i was tasted there at the office before they would even look at me.  It came back negative.  A few days later i had to see my Dr about some other issues, and they wanted to test me - again - for COVID since the test my dentist did wasnt a "good test"... again, negative.

but i have had "upper respiratory issues" every so often, and i had made notes about my symptoms and how i feel and so forth.  It takes a while to get better, but i make note of it and when/where and so forth.  And over time i pickup a bug here or there so i just make note of it with date/time and symptoms and what if anything was done to make it go away.

But you may want to document your journey if you want and so you can have something to review and see if you are progressing.  you can put your own thoughts - good or bad - in there too.

good luck
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    I had it in December. I thought it was gone completely, but I had a hard time with the heat at work this summer. I've had some really hot jobs before and the heat never beat me like this year.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson