Home Main Category Hunting

.223 Rem & 64gr Speer Gold Dot -Whitetail

2»

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,233 Senior Member
    But, as I've often opined, bullet construction properly matched to the game trumps chambering every time. I have Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws loaded up and ready to go. But there's nothing here worth shooting them at.
    That too!
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #33
    Biggest elk I’ve ever seen taken……was felled on the run in dark timber  with one shot from a .243 Winchester at the base of the neck. 
    Right bullet in the right place. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,572 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Biggest elk I’ve ever seen taken……was felled on the run in dark timber  with one shot from a .243 Winchester at the base of the neck. 
    Right bullet in the right place. 
    Same with me. Biggest elk I've witnessed killed was with a .243 and an 87gr. bullet fired by my dad.
    Neck shot, DRT.
    Yep, just about any bullet put in the right place will do the trick.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    No. The RIGHT BULLET in the RIGHT PLACE.   That is the goal. . 
    Zee said:
    No. The RIGHT BULLET in the RIGHT PLACE.   That is the goal. . 
    At times the wrong bullet works too.  Blew the brain out of a doe with a .223 shooting a very fragile 45gr HP meant for varmint because I was coyote hunting.  Totally wrong bullet for the job but I had confidence in my gun and I put it where I knew it was lights out.  No wasted meat.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    edited October 2021 #38
    I once shot a pdog with a 12 gauge. He was far enough away that I thought I'd just "sprinkle" him for  our mutual amusement. Knocked him deader than the dirt he was standing on. Surprised us both.
    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited October 2021 #39
    You are incorrect. It was the RIGHT BULLET for the RIGHT PLACEMENT and hence……..the right bullet for the job. 
    I’ve killed many deer with a Varmint bullet. I just put it in the right place to capitalize on its performance and acquire  the end result desired. 
    If you gave me a FMJ bullet from most ANY cartridge and told me to kill a deer with it………I’d put it in the RIGHT place for THAT  bullet and get the job done. 
    Zee said:
    You are incorrect. It was the RIGHT BULLET for the RIGHT PLACEMENT and hence……..the right bullet for the job. 
    I’ve killed many deer with a Varmint bullet. I just put it in the right place to capitalize on its performance and acquire  the end result desired. 
    Zee said:
    If you gave me a FMJ bullet from most ANY cartridge and told me to kill a deer with it………I’d put it in the RIGHT place for THAT  bullet and get the job done. 
    Ahhhhhh, I see what your saying now and I absolutely agree with you.  I think we’re both trying to make the same point using different words.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    👍🏻👍🏻
    I knew a landowner friend, old timer who decided the government could not tell him how many deer he could take off his property.  He was a subsistence hunter who lived off the venison he killed on his own land. All his deer where DRTs, shot year round with a .22 Mag to the ear.  One box of ammo would last him years.  That one falls into the same category.

He was a skilled hunter and very good natural marksman so to him this was the right bullet/ammo for the job at hand.  In his very long barreled European rifle the .22 Mag was actually quiet enough that no one ever noticed the early morning shots in the woods on his land.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬