Home Main Category General Firearms

More Gifted Firearms!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,949 Senior Member
edited November 2021 in General Firearms #1
Last week, my friend who gifted my boy the AR-15 with lots of ammo and other goodies, along with gifting my mom the Ruger LCP-.38Spl has now done more. 
He gave me a Star 9mm with box in like new condition along with a Belgium made Browning BAR Safari in .243 Winchester w/ Nikon Pro Staff 4.5-16x scope!!
I got them last week or so, but haven’t had time to make it to the range until today. 
The Star 9mm performed reasonably for its age and make. I tried 3 types of ammo in it. 
124gr Ball to make sure it worked fine. Then, 147gr Speer Gold Dot Gen2 and 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded. 

This is a cool piece of history for me. My father has one that I grew up shooting. Now, I have one exactly like it. 
The trigger is rather nice. The sights plain and the features standard for the era. 
I don’ t know that I would ever carry this gun for SD. But, it’s a nice piece of my history that helped make me who I am today. Very grateful and pleased. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,949 Senior Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    The Browning is a beautiful piece. The last time I shot a BAR was one a family friendly had loaned my father to go on his first elk hunt  when I was much younger.  It was in .300 Win Mag and quite potent. I remember that my dad shot his first elk rather decidedly with it. 
    Unfortunately, it was stollen shortly after along with all my first guns. 
    This is a darn fine representative in a much more reasonable chambering. And made in Belgium!! 

I think the scope is a bit much for the rifle in both ability and aesthetics. But hey, it’s a gift!!
    I’m still trying to decide on the social aspect of whether I could change the scope to something more fitting the rifle or leave it as is as to not displease the giver. 
    He also gifted me several hundred rounds of .243 Winchester factory ammo. He told me it was sighted in for Factory Hornady 100gr Ammunition but that it had been 6 years since he’d fired it. I tried the 100gr Hornady ammo he gifted me and the rifle was quite erratic. Displaying 3-4” groups that really made no sense. 

I did some research and found the barrel has a 1-10” twist rate. So, the bullets are right on the verge of what it seems to stabilize. The accuracy for me is unacceptable. Still trying to decide if it’s socially acceptable to change the scope or not, I did advise the benefactor of the accuracy results and that I was going to try some 85gr Sierra HPBT Game Kings and see if accuracy improved. To which, he agreed. 
    Either way, it’s a pretty cool gift and again, a part of my youth in a way that makes it a memorable part of life. 

I am grateful for both and blessed by all means. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,208 Senior Member
    Beautiful rifle! Congratulations. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,837 Senior Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    With regards to the Star:
    You're making it very difficult to like you right now... ;)
    One of these is "on my list"!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    Nice gifts. I had a Star 40 cal that’s was a decent pistol. Heavy as all get out but shot well with factory ammo. Never seemed to feed reloads reliably. 
    That BAR is beautiful. They have never been known for bug hole accuracy but if anyone can get it, you will.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    I want to say my M70 .243 has a 1:10 barrel on it.  It took some doing to find a load it would group with using the Hornady 100gr InterLock, but it would do sub MOA groups with it.  It just prefers the 85gr InterBond.  The 103gr ELD-X was a 12" pattern with not straight holes at 100 yards though.  With some tinkering with the load, I am sure you will get it shooting 100gr to your satisfaction.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,221 Senior Member
    I really like the both! My BIL had a Star chambered in 9 Largo that was fun to shoot. As for the Browning, I officially detest your presence!  
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    mitdr774 said:
    I want to say my M70 .243 has a 1:10 barrel on it.  It took some doing to find a load it would group with using the Hornady 100gr InterLock, but it would do sub MOA groups with it.  It just prefers the 85gr InterBond.  The 103gr ELD-X was a 12" pattern with not straight holes at 100 yards though.  With some tinkering with the load, I am sure you will get it shooting 100gr to your satisfaction.
    This was factory ammo my friend gave me with the rifle. I was hoping to push the easy button and just use the existing rounds. That’s not plausible now. So, handloading 85s is in my future. 
    I do have some already handloaded for my CVA Scout Pistol. I’ll try those in the gun first. Maybe I’ll get lucky and both guns will like the same load. 
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 958 Senior Member
    You like heavy bullets.
    Try some 100 grain round nose from it.

You like heavy bullets.

Don’t have any. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,064 Senior Member
    Stars were a real value back in the day, and a real good choice for when you didn't want to expose the "nice" guns to the real world (Glock pretty much ended that need for compromise)  Not sure what they're bringing now, but they're metal and they work, so probably climbing.

The answer to your BAR's scope dilemma is that the Nikon is better suited to a heavy barreled target rifle (you have a couple of those somewhere, don't you?  ;)), and that the Browning is ideally suited to running, middle distance shots on the coyotes you need to control.  As long as you're getting use out of both halves, your pal should be happy.  You're probably not going to use it much as it stands.

I would at least leave the scope in place until load development is done.  That'll likely tell you the kind of job it wants to do.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,394 Senior Member
    I've worked on a few BARS and they are not known for they're accuracy, much like most semi-autos of the era!! I believe a lot of the problems are caused by the way the fore arm is attached. You may have to play with the screw tension a little bit and find the sweet spot!!
    I would love a gloss blued scope to put in it and match the metal. But, nobody really makes those anymore. 
    Zee said:
    You like heavy bullets.

Don’t have any. 
    Get some.....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,963 Senior Member
    Truly wonderful gifts
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    BAM!!!
    Put a fork in it!

Took 3 loads to the range just now. 

85gr Sierra HPBT-GK (full power)
    87gr Hornady V-Max
    85gr Sierra HPBT-GK (reduced load)
    it did much better with all three than it did with the 100gr bullets. 

But it really liked the 85gr Sierra in a reduced load. And the accuracy was repeatable when I zeroed the group!

I came up 1/2” from this last group and called it good. 
    This is the ammo I made for my daughter when she went Antelope hunting at 8 years old and took an antelope at 230yrds. Fell over dead. 

This should work fine in the Browning. 
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 194 Member
    Z
    you have great friends!

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,394 Senior Member
    There ya go!! Problem solved! That was easy!!

This is what it was doing yesterday with the 100gr factory ammo. 

Big Al1 said:
    There ya go!! Problem solved! That was easy!!
    I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to start from scratch. This worked out nicely. 
    Japhy said:
    Z
    you have great friends!

That I do. I am very fortunate. 
    Never been much of a Browning fan.  But, this is pretty cool. 
    I have though of that. Make it less bulky looking at least. 👍🏻
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    Zee said:

This was factory ammo my friend gave me with the rifle. I was hoping to push the easy button and just use the existing rounds. That’s not plausible now. So, handloading 85s is in my future. 
    I do have some already handloaded for my CVA Scout Pistol. I’ll try those in the gun first. Maybe I’ll get lucky and both guns will like the same load. 
    I had one box of Hornady 100gr American Whitetail and was less than impressed with the grouping.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,862 Senior Member
    Very nice!  I do enjoy shooting my Star BM- it is surprisingly soft shooting, and has nice sights for the time frame in which it was made. 

The BAR is really cool as well. Glad you found a load it likes. I never really paid attention to the BAR, but I’m glad you got a shooter
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    mitdr774 said:
    Zee said:

I had one box of Hornady 100gr American Whitetail and was less than impressed with the grouping.
    He gave me quite an assortment of factory ammo with the gun. 

And you didn't try them off the bat for shame.

Go to the corner....just go
    And you didn't try them off the bat for shame.

Go to the corner....just go
    Well, not doing so has seemed a benefit for another member. 😘
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,064 Senior Member
    Seems like the scope wants to be smaller, and lower.  With the reduced load, a little bit off the .243's full performance envelope.  Any of Leupold's 3.5-10 x40 and smaller options are seeming appropriate.

Kinda heavy, as I remember them.  Maybe not fast swinging, but smooth swinging.

Trying to formulate a mission for it.  Running 'yote gun?  (You already have AR's).  Stand gun for somebody with physical limitations that preclude manual actions?

Not my usual kind of playmate, but it seems worthy of your ministrations.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,879 Senior Member
    Well, you got the .243 dialed in, I was going to say try som Fed Fusion 95gr, but no need at this point. Not the worst gun to have for the moving varmint.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11