Home Main Category Personal Defense

Perception and observation.

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
I've had occasion to recieve unasked for glimpses over the edge. Mostly when I was a youth. The rate and escalation of crime here has brought on some reflection of what I've seen. Written here for whatever its worth, and made available for any  addition.

Sometimes people will telegraph their bad intentions. Other times they don't. Just when you think you know, you find out you don't know. Evil hides in packages without lables. Distractions that cloud the vision, muffle the hearing, or mute clear thinking can be dangerous mistakes. Awareness is a never ending exerscise, and can be a life saver.

Replies

• buckaroobuckaroo Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2021 #2
    Good points.  I use to think I was a good judge of character, man was I ever wrong and still am.
    And sadly most of the people who crossed my path in life where not worth a do-do after a can of beans.
    And believe it or not one of the biggest con jobs I ever knew was my own brother.

It's many years now since he blew his brains out and what a relief I hate to say it.  I did give a nice eulogy but that was before I realize years after he wasn't worth a - - - - !    I should have pissed on his grave instead.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    Some things are better left unsaid.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,243 Senior Member
    In order to see evil coming you have to leave your own perspective and personal prejudices behind and assume theirs.  Look at the world through their eyes and THEN come up with a plan to foil theirs.

Example, how do you come up with a home defense plan?  Walk around your house thinking, how would I break in?  Then plug the holes.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Along those same lines. Thieves are usually opportunists. They're not likely to want to steal what they can't see.
    Further along the same vien. Anyone looking to gain access to our homes will likely take pains to do so when the home is unoccupied. Something to keep in mind well securing the dwelling.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    "Villainy wears many masks but none so dangerous as the mask of Virtue."
    Jim Jones
    David Koresh
    Marshall Applewhite
    Charles Manson
    And the list goes on....

People who smile just a little too much are immediately placed on my watch list. It's as if they're desperate to gain your confidence.
    I've known people like this, super nice guys on the surface but world class BS'ers underneath.

Radar on 📡
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    One of the drills that should be ingrained to anyone riding a motorcycle on the street is known by the acronym SIPDE - Search your surroundings, Interpret what you see, Predict what may happen, Decide how you will react, and be ready to Execute your response.

Situational awareness, basically. 

Applies to a lot more in life than just riding motors. 
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    To see a problem before it happens could be a life saver.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,243 Senior Member
    NN said:
    ?
    Spammer.  There were embedded links in his stupid answers/posts.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Petty and serious predators alike can all mask their intentions well.  Frankly, it's less specific awareness and more so a generalized understanding of the "lay of the land".  Transitional spaces are the locations of nearly all in-public attacks:

• Car to store, and vice versa. 
    • Getting in an out of your car
    • Approaching/exiting store fronts
    Women are far more likely to be accosted.  Men and women who aren't buried in their cell phones are much less likely to be chosen.  Address potential attackers from the greatest distance you can notice them.  I do this ALL the time with approaching homeless/panhandlers.  They get stern verbal treatment up front, every time.  There is no "not today" or "sorry I don't have cash", it's "Stop right there and get the hell away from me."  Or even more stern/vulgar than that.  It draws witnesses attention to YOU then THEM, which is what you want.  Followed by, "Hey watch out for this guy he's walking up behind people!"

If you can find classes on Modus Operandi and Victimology, you'll learn a LOT.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    I find the "entitled" mindset to be one of the biggest vulnerabilities some folks face.
    "I have a right to go jogging in a park late at night with my headphones blasting my "play list" into my head while remaining unaccosted...."
    That you may have, but be aware that others out there ain't playing by the same rules...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"