Home Main Category General Firearms

Rosco Barrels any good?

GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 110 Member
My 20" mil-spec HBAR is trash.
Are Rosco barrels any good? I want to lighten up my rifle some and found one of their medium contour SS barrels here.
https://www.primaryarms.com/rosco-manufacturing-purebred-223-wylde-barrel-medium-weight-rifle-20
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine?

Replies

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 444 Member
    Welcome, you might remove the link as per the forum rules. Why is your HBAR trash and why did you buy it in the first place ?

• GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 110 Member
    Worn out
    It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine?
    edited January 15 #4
    Flagging me as spam, really?
    If I was a spammer, wouldn't I be singing their praise instead of asking about their quality?

Also, I doubt primary arms needs folks to spam gun forums to drive traffic to their site
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    Some of the internet famous people have sung the praises of Roscoe barrels. No personal experience, but for the right price I would give one a go.

Another brand that I know first hand is great quality is Criterian. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Welcome hey, I have not shot a gun enough to wear out a barrel yet, so can't help you there.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    I have actually "worn out" more rifle barrels than I could easily afford. Never heard of these guys. I'd focus on Krieger or Lilja.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    edited January 15 #8
    I do not know about the barrels, but if you shoot enough to wear them out, you probably should look at those that are higher end like @Linefinder suggested
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,491 Senior Member
    Grapeape,
    What kind of shooting do you do with your AR?
    Approx how many rounds down the tube with your factory barrel?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited January 15 #10
    I have actually "worn out" more rifle barrels than I could easily afford. Never heard of these guys. I'd focus on Krieger or Lilja.

Mike
    Back in they day, you and Scootertrash were participating in a similar conversation here I made Scooter laugh when I said he was giving me an inferiority complex since I have yet to wear out a barrel, and now 15 years later😆
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Grapeape,
    Vermin, hunting, plinking
    Not sure, was used when I traded for it
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Green mountain barrels have by far shown me better accuracy than alot of high end barrels that should have but didn't. Always better concentricity too and cheaper.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    Also, the guy posted a link in reference to his question, which is a legitimate thing to do. He didn't post a link trying to hype them up yet got flagged. I swear some of you must not want this place to grow in members. No wonder folks are asking to be deleted from here.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    GrapeApe said:
    Grapeape,
    Vermin, hunting, plinking
    Not sure, was used when I traded for it
    Hope you stick around and let us know what you get and how it works out
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited January 16 #15
    CHIRO1989 said:

Mike
    Back in they day, you and Scootertrash were participating in a similar conversation here I made Scooter laugh when I said he was giving me an inferiority complex since I have yet to wear out a barrel, and now 15 years later😆
    You can actually wear a barrel out in a couple months if the pdogs cooperate, the sun shines, and you load your own ammo. That kind of bites you in the ass suddenly, but you become a bit more judicious after a tad of  experience. Barrels aren't cheap.

Mike
    N454casull
    CHIRO1989 said:

Mike
    You can actually wear a barrel out in a couple months if the pdogs cooperate, the sun shines, and you reload. That kind of bites you in the ass until you gain a bit of experience.

Mike
    I should probably scope my Savage116 .300 win mag, it keeps shooting fine, but it is pushing 500-600 rounds of 3000 fps, might be interesting
    edited January 16 #17
    I wouldn't worry about that if it still hits where you want it to. 600 rounds down the barrel is nothing, I was speaking of barrels that get that many pushed a day. 2-3 times a week. Yes...really.....not kidding. I've done that. Your barrel is likely just broken in.

Mike
    N454casull
    edited January 16 #18
    This is my 3rd barrel to verify being "shot out" by bore scope
    2nd .224" and one .284"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    "Shot out" in my opinion is when the barrel won't group any longer.  
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    GrapeApe said:
    My 20" mil-spec HBAR is trash.
    Are Rosco barrels any good? I want to lighten up my rifle some and found one of their medium contour SS barrels here.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/rosco-manufacturing-purebred-223-wylde-barrel-medium-weight-rifle-20
    I have used 10.5, 12.5, and 14.5 Rosco barrels.  With M193 they shoot about 2-2.5" at 100 yards and with match ammo they are MOA shooters.  Additionally, they were the barrels selected to be used in the SOLGW/Sage Dynamics collaborated rifle.  They are worth their prices, and modestly priced at that!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Thanks

I don't know anything about the barrel brand you are considering, but I have had some exceptional accuracy with Green Mountain, in both centerfire and rimfire.
    Never used Criterion, but they have a good reputation.
    I have had good luck with McGowen as well, and they are less costly than my go to match barrels (Brux, Bartlein and Krieger).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited March 7 #23
    Well, it shoots, cleaning it afterwards is akin to copper mining though :(
    Tried 4 different brands/types of ammo. Excluding the flier on the first group, the groups got worse the more I shot, I suspect the copper fouling building up is a prime candidate as to why.

Fiocchi 50gr A-max used to get it on paper. first 3 through one hole at 50 yards shots 4 and 5  were 1/4" high and 1/4" low respectively, opening it to just over 1 MOA 

Same ammo @ 100 =  2.5" group.  A first round flier after scope adjustment opened it up from  a 1"
    IMI Mk 262 Close (77gr Sierra MK)  ~1.25"
    S&B 77gr MHP = 2"
    Winchester Silvertip 64gr Defense Tip=  ~2.5"

The Silvertip looks a LOT like their "Deer Season" ammo, with a silver plated jacket. Their QC seems questionable. This is 3 of the first 5 I removed from the box.  I'm not sure if it's different cannelure placement, or the case length/COAL varies that much? Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about trusting my life too it though

Second range trip, just a quick sight in after changing the rings.
    9/10 in a 1.25" group and the called flyer opening it up to 2.35"

The forum software rotated this pic 90° 

In cleaning, there was NOT nearly as much copper after this 15 rounds of the IMI 77gr

Are you pleased with a 1.25” group?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I wouldn't be if it was bought/built with target use in mind, however, with factory ammo and it's intended purpose to lighten that upper, yeah, it'll do everything I need that particular upper to do
    That’s great. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    I have passed down my semi used uppers to my kids, so I havent shot one out yet. General rule of thumb in service rifle is at 5000 round count, bench it and shoot it. If it is still delivering adequate groups then run it that season and check it again. Unless you like spending a lot of money, then rebbl at 5K. Repeat as necessary. I am not of the ability where I will shoot a match clean and a MOA will clean every target, so a rifle that is at or just under MOA will do everything I can make it do when I shoot it to my ability.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited March 21 #30
    Well, it's settled in. I also put that upper on a different lower with a much better trigger. I think it'll do

That's 5 shots of the same lot of IMI Razor Core 77gr (aka mk 262 mod 1 clone)
    Also had the heavy barreled precision upper that normally lives on that lower, and couldn't match it with a barrel that cost 3x what this one did
    Excellent
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"