Home Main Category General Firearms

Added some more steel targets to my cache

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,545 Senior Member
Every year, I add some more steel targets to my pile, to give shooters more enjoyment.  On two different years, I bought a pack of hit indicator lights.  We put those on targets that are further out, as it aides in seeing hits in bad conditions, and guys like to see a target light up as well.  This year I added two life size coyote targets, that have a steel flapper for the vitals.  Glenn and I headed over to Menards yesterday and bought some steel pipe for the legs.
Probably, for next year I will be getting a mule deer and elk targets.  Those are NOT life sized.
I will never forgot the first time I shot a steel target with my XP-100.  Seeing the hit, and hearing the impact is still a sweet sound, especially if the distance is out there and the conditions are tricky.

Most of my steel is square: 5", 10", and 12".  Then, I have some larger square targets.
I have some that are round and and rectangle as well.
I have two reactive prairie dog targets.
I have a KYL rack as well.

How many here use steel targets on a regular basis for handgun or rifle shooting?
Who here actually has their own steel targets?  Describe please.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,678 Senior Member
    I run 12” circles and diamonds along with 18”x24” plates. Have one 4’x4’ steel for 1 mile shooting as well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    I made up some targets in the shape of small animals out of ar plate about 25 years ago. I had used them for awhile before my wife decided they would make good yard art.
    Guess I should get some round targets some day.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,366 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    I made up some targets in the shape of small animals out of ar plate about 25 years ago. I had used them for awhile before my wife decided they would make good yard art.
    Silhouette shooting in the front yard ;)?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I have have various shape, and size steel on my range at the house.  From 4"×4", to 18"×24", at various ranges.  I'm always adding. 
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,941 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    rberglof said:
    Silhouette shooting in the front yard ;)?
     Good idea!