FN is reintroducing the High Power

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,922 Senior Member
With a new, 17 rd. capacity magazine!
Simplified takedown like an FN 509!
No magazine disconnect!
Fully ambidextrous controls!
Checkered front strap!
No-bite hammer!

Note: magazines and internal parts of vintage High Powers are not compatible with the new design.  MSRP $1,250.

https://taskandpurpose.com/gear-tech/fn-hi-power-pistol-production/#:~:text=These magazines are completely new,representative at SHOT Show 2022.&text=All of these features make,more practical than its predecessors.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/fn-high-power-old-is-new-classics-redefined/

https://www.guns.com/news/2022/01/19/more-on-the-new-fn-high-power-series

I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    I prefer the looks of the Springfield version. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,922 Senior Member
    Yeah, the SA-35 is definitely "the classic."  Evidently, however, there's issues with the Springfield.  BH Spring Solutions did a pretty deep dive into it, and found that the internal parts are softer than FN/Browning's (might wear quicker) and they and numerous others have reported ejection/extraction issues.  Seems the slide serrations peened over a bit into the extractor channel, and are interfering with extractor function. Also, the Springfield extractor claw is a little thinner/narrower.  Clearing out the serrations (file work) and fitting a stock Browning/FN extractor, along with a new extractor spring, solved that problem.  If someone were to buy a Springfield SA-35, I'd consider an upgrade to extractor and spring, along with a little file work.  That's a less than $25 upgrade.

Also, BH Spring Solutions found the dovetails of the Springfield sights to be identical to the TISAS (Turkish) Hi Power.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1plKwpL_YPwYE80NGQgNqVBTcrchPDWZl/view
    I'm just here for snark.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,004 Senior Member
    I don't hate it, but I don't $1200 like it. Especially if legacy mags and holsters don't work, and it's not blued steel. 

I get what FN is doing, and I'm willing to bet it's been in the works awhile. I almost feel they missed a marketing opportunity by not naming it the MK-4, as a nod to the last one. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Well, they went from Hi-Power to High Power.  I guess that's supposed to show an evolution of the design?

As an aside, it seems Girsan (Turkey) has released a Hi Power clone with a rail, extended beavertail, G10 grips, fiber optic front sight, and adjustable rear.  Oh, and a flared mag well.  All it's missing is an RMR cut, which they say they'll be bringing out.

I'm just here for snark.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,580 Senior Member
    Good to see some different options. I'll be watching for details around that Girsan as its price point will likely be attractive.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,511 Senior Member
    My attraction to the Hi-Power is basically as a classic and potentially a collectible or at least a useable classic if I was to buy let’s say a Tisa.  It would be like buying an Italian clone of a Colt.  Something I can shoot with no guilt.

But what FN has done is the equivalent of “updating” a Beretta 92.  You take away the classic appeal and I don’t know there is much of a market for a “modern” all steel heavy high cap 9mm.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited January 31 #8
    FN is trying to introduce a competitor for the CZ75.

They're only 45 years or so too late.
    I'm just here for snark.
    FN is trying to introduce a competitor for the CZ75.

They're only 45 years or so too late.
    Yep…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    I want a Springfield because it looks like a Browning. With supposed improvement.  
    A company who makes/sells improvements saying there is a problem they can fix immediately raises hairs. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    My objection to the FN is that it's not a Hi Power.  I guess it's a "High Power," but at the same time, I see some poor unlucky schmoe getting a new High Power, getting Hi Power mags or other accessories, and finding out they don't fit.

At least when S&W revived the M&P name, they went from revolvers to ARs and bottomfeeders, so the chance of messing up accessories is a wee bit lower.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I want a Springfield because it looks like a Browning. With supposed improvement.  
    A company who makes/sells improvements saying there is a problem they can fix immediately raises hairs. 
    Normally, I'm with you 10,000% on that. . .

. . .and in full disclosure mode, I seem to have been burned by a bad one. . .

. . .but having toured inside it for a while, the Hi Power IME is some third-rate engineering wrapped up in some really sleek lines and good ergonomics. It's a BINO (Browning In Name Only) that's not fit to be a boil on a 1911's butt.  

I've been chipping away somewhat lackadaisically on a FEG clone that I bought as a naïve youngster in the '90's because - "HEY!  Hi Power! Cheap!"   I think most of the stuff BH Spring Solutions is offering addresses a problem, or at least an annoyance that this gun has exhibited.  Hopefully, someday, I'll have it to a point where it will reliably eject a fully mag's worth of spent cases.

The new FN appears to have done away with the external extractor that has been giving me fits.  The roll pin in the slide tells me they're still using the "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?" see-saw sear actuator.  Not sure what there was about the take down that needed simplifying, but OK.

Dunno. . .it's good money after bad in my opinion.  Maybe time will prove me wrong.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    The 1911 has often been called an expert's firearm.
    The Hi Power is an enthusiast's firearm.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,589 Senior Member
    edited February 1 #14
    Yeah, the SA-35 is definitely "the classic."  Evidently, however, there's issues with the Springfield.  BH Spring Solutions did a pretty deep dive into it, and found that the internal parts are softer than FN/Browning's (might wear quicker) and they and numerous others have reported ejection/extraction issues.  Seems the slide serrations peened over a bit into the extractor channel, and are interfering with extractor function. Also, the Springfield extractor claw is a little thinner/narrower.  Clearing out the serrations (file work) and fitting a stock Browning/FN extractor, along with a new extractor spring, solved that problem.  If someone were to buy a Springfield SA-35, I'd consider an upgrade to extractor and spring, along with a little file work.  That's a less than $25 upgrade.

Also, BH Spring Solutions found the dovetails of the Springfield sights to be identical to the TISAS (Turkish) Hi Power.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1plKwpL_YPwYE80NGQgNqVBTcrchPDWZl/view
    I have a Springfield Armory 1911. Although very functional, their attention to detail doesn’t give me confidence to buy a new design by them.

On the FN side, I wish they had stuck more closely to the original design. It’s not really a Hi Power.

Was more capacity (making the old magazines not fit) really a plus?
    I have an Imbel-made, Springfield Imported Loaded 1911.  I also have a circa 1975 Colt 1911.  The Imbel has far fewer machining marks.  It might be apples to oranges, but those are my two samples (I know it's a small sample size.)

You can get 15 rd. flush fit mags for the Hi Power.  Well, if they're available.  I know for some, 13+1 rds. of 9mm in a steel handgun is an issue.  
    I'm just here for snark.
    I have an Imbel-made, Springfield Imported Loaded 1911.  I also have a circa 1975 Colt 1911.  The Imbel has far fewer machining marks.  It might be apples to oranges, but those are my two samples (I know it's a small sample size.)

You can get 15 rd. flush fit mags for the Hi Power.  Well, if they're available.  I know for some, 13+1 rds. of 9mm in a steel handgun is an issue.  
    Yep, BUT the Pony will continue to climb in value.  My mint blue Series 70 is not my best performer but it’s one of the ones that will be held on to cause it’s money in the bank.  Not all guns need to be my daily CCW weapons.  Some are just pretty, desirable, collectible, etc…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    edited February 1 #17
    Not disagreeing with that AT ALL.  Something is worth what folks will pay for it.  A prancing pony will get more than (modern) crossed cannons with similar appointments and in similar shape.  Crossed cannons with an NM serial number ("US-made") will get more than crossed cannons with an N serial number (Imbel.)  

Crazy thing is, the Imbel could be the best-running of the three, but have the lowest value.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Not disagreeing with that AT ALL.  Something is worth what folks will pay for it.  A prancing pony will get more than (modern) crossed cannons with similar appointments and in similar shape.  Crossed cannons with an NM serial number ("US-made") will get more than crossed cannons with an N serial number (Imbel.)  

Crazy thing is, the Imbel could be the best-running of the three, but have the lowest value.
    I know, funny how that works right?

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬