Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Sandy Hook - Remington Settlement

Hey all,  New guy here from Canada.  Need some info and opinions...

I'm sure that many have heard about the multi-million dollar settlement between the Sandy Hook families and Remington today.  From what I've read, Remington's marketing methods were found to be partially responsible for that awful event.  What I'm trying to understand:  the rifle was not purchased by the shooter, nor was it owned by him.  He took it without permission and used it to commit the shootings; in every sense of the word, it was stolen.  In what way did Remington have accountability in this, other than being the manufacturer of that firearm?  Was there something in the story that I missed?  Hoping you guys might know.

I'm in Canada - I have a Remington 700 SPS in .22-250 that I love to use for prairie dog control.  

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,801 Senior Member
    We are as confused as you. Wish I could have helped more.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,142 Senior Member
    In my opinion, Remington made a HUGE mistake with this one.  Civil liability is a rough customer, you don't have to win, you only have to wear someone down until the lawyers say "How much to make this go away?" and you walk away with cash.  

From a business perspective they did what made sense.  To the stock holders the are being financially responsible.  From a real world view perspective they opened themselves to an attack by every opportunistic ambulance chaser to try to suck money out of their coffer, and in the court of public opinion, they conceded they were at fault, no guilty verdict needed...  Basically cooperate lawyer stupidity with a short sighted goal.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

In my opinion, Remington made a HUGE mistake with this one.  Civil liability is a rough customer, you don't have to win, you only have to wear someone down until the lawyers say "How much to make this go away?" and you walk away with cash.  

From a business perspective they did what made sense.  To the stock holders the are being financially responsible.  From a real world view perspective they opened themselves to an attack by every opportunistic ambulance chaser to try to suck money out of their coffer, and in the court of public opinion, they conceded they were at fault, no guilty verdict needed...  Basically cooperate lawyer stupidity with a short sighted goal.
    They should have fought this to the Supreme Court, especially now. What a bunch of legalese idiots.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,142 Senior Member

They should have fought this to the Supreme Court, especially now. What a bunch of legalese idiots.

Mike
    That’s my take on it.  They had the law on their side.  Too bad they don’t have the balls for a fight.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,194 Senior Member
    I wont buy S&W because of the anti gun deal they made with Clinton. I have no need for Coke products. Cut up the Chase Visa after being a 32y customer. Off FB. Amazon is a great place to search for stuff, then buy it off Fleabay or Walmart.com for the same price or better.

Last Remington anything I buy. They just shafted us for the long term. They have nothing I need anymore.

Anyone who thinks that "just me" wont hurt them, ask Penzeys Spices and Meta how that is working out for them.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,577 Senior Member
    edited February 16 #7
    FWIW, not really Remington, the company formerly known as Remington settled, and their lawyers at that, not a "company" decision per se.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I seem to recall that the Remington in bankruptcy was the one being sued and the max payout of their insurance policy (or whatever... don't quote me on this) was $72 million so that is what they got.

It sounds to me, more like it was settled to close out the bankruptcy.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    At the rate things are going, soon all we'll have available for purchase will be Turkish-made shotguns.

Mike
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,620 Senior Member
    #1.  You're hoping to find logic and common sense among end-justifies-the-means anti-gunners who would use George Orwell's 1984 as a blueprint, rather than a cautionary tale.  

#2.  Remington was in decline as a gun company run by gun people before they were taken over by the conglomerate that ultimately finished them off.  Those at the top had no interest in the gun business, so after milking what they could through corner-cutting on the manufacturing side, cut and run would have been the order of the day.  Certainly there were no principles on board with which to fight the Sandy Hook suits.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee