Home Main Category Hunting

S&W 357 Magnum Revolver versus Whitetail Doe

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,527 Senior Member
I knew I wanted to take at least one revolver with me when I went down to Zee’s place. The 357 Magnum is an instant grab for me for deer, but I considered a couple of 44 Magnum‘s for a while. They didn’t make the cut. 
If, you would’ve asked me 10 years ago, if the 357 magnum be my favorite deer revolver cartridge, my response would’ve been, “No.”
I was planning on bringing a five shot BFR revolver down.  
When I went out to Chuck’s place, to get it zeroed and shoot steel at various distances, I absolutely hated the small Bisley grip.  For hunting, I have fallen in love with Hogue’s Big Butt grips. 
I have a customized (RAAP) Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum revolver, it is a N frame. BCG did the build, and it has a 10” custom barrel and a real nice trigger for hunting.  
I grabbed one of my Leopold pistol scopes that had adjustable turrets, and I was off to the races to get a quick 50 yard zero before I headed south. 
I decided to go to the easy route, and use some factory Hornady 158 XTP HP’s, which have worked so good for me in the past. 
This revolver shoots good from the bench or from a field rest. 
As I said on my first thread about my trip, I just simply missed an easy shot. The bad thing is I still can’t tell you what I did wrong. The majority of the time, I know where the shot went, or if I made a bad shot. I was tired, but that’s not an excuse.  
My assumption is that I anticipated recoil and flinched downward, that is the only reasonable explanation I have. It is possible, that I heeled it, and shot high, but the first is my best guess. 
At first, I thought I had hit her and I kept waiting for her to falter and go down but she didn’t, she’s kept going away from us.  
After spending a good bit of time looking for blood and searching for her, we both came to the conclusion that I simply missed.  
The following day, things were better. We spent some time at 50 yards on steel and the revolver was shooting just fine for both of us.  
Later that afternoon another doe fell (under 50 yard shot).  
She went down about 60 yards from the shot, if I remember correctly.  

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,190 Senior Member
    Well done. 
    I love the  .357 also.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,235 Senior Member
    Nice work!  I hope to try my hand with my GP100 .357 this year in deer.  That gives me a lot of confidence.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    Looks like a great time and thanks for typing it up!!
    The gun is sort of sexy in a weird way. . . kind of like someone stuck a Buntline in a pencil sharpener?
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,085 Senior Member
    I am about 90% convinced I am going to try and do a .357Mag deer this year.

Great report!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    I am about 90% convinced I am going to try and do a .357Mag deer this year.

Great report!
    Right bullet. Right place. No problems. The .35cal handgun is a favorite 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,562 Senior Member
    PFD said:
    The gun is sort of sexy in a weird way. . . kind of like someone stuck a Buntline in a pencil sharpener?
    After watching Ernie miss because of the way he had to shoot and having shot that gun myself, it’s a worthless design. Useless except for perfect conditions. 
    The FrankenRugers he has are much better hunting revolvers than this Smith. Yeah, the trigger is better. But, I realized that any influence in the barrel throws the round. 
    Hell, a factory Ruger is more useful in my opinion. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    The FrankenRugers he has are much better hunting revolvers than this Smith. Yeah, the trigger is better. But, I realized that any influence in the barrel throws the round. 
    Why Ruger has never cut the top of the 6" GP-100 barrel for rings like they have done forever on the Redhawk and SBH is one of those mysteries of the universe I just can't comprehend.  
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    PFD said:
    After watching Ernie miss because of the way he had to shoot and having shot that gun myself, it’s a worthless design. Useless except for perfect conditions. 
    Until I actually prove it one way or the other, I think the reason why Zee had a noticeable vertical change, (around 4 inches at 50 yards), and it was consistent both times when he rested the full length of the barrel on this pillow bag. 
    For The Life of me, I don’t know why I didn’t say something that day, or earlier this week one a phone call conversation about it. 
    Like I said, until I test it to prove one way or the other I can’t say for 100% certainty. 
    Vertical change was not because the barrel was sensitive to touch. 
    Rather, it is because he had a very light hold on the revolver grip, which I remember him saying, while I had an intentional heavier grip, similar to the way or the grip that you would have to shoot again offhand. 
    His grip while very light, and mine was heavier.  
    Even when I used a small field bag under the grip of the revolver I did not have point of impact change. When I did use a small filled bag, my grip did not change when shooting it with both hands. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"