Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Just thinking aloud here.......

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorColorado SpringsPosts: 7,801 Senior Member
75% of Russia's military is congregated along Ukraine's border. Personally, I see this as a target of opportunity we'll likely never see again. Followed up by crippling economic warfare.....70 years of BS down and out.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,620 Senior Member
    Convince the hungry Chinese to expand north and west first for the "two birds" effect.  We haven't had a good slugfest between totalitarian monsters since the 1940's.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,194 Senior Member
    Like loading Ukraine with a buttload of Tomahawks with cluster munitions kinda thinking? Ruskies check in, but they dont check out?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Bill2Bill2 Posts: 3 New Member
    Mike, I like the way you think.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    I was thinking the same, Mike. Hadn't seen this thread when I posted something similar in another one over in the Clubhouse. I haven't heard ANYBODY bring it up in the last handful of days, anywhere. I don't get it.

edited March 3 #6
    Because while a fun thought exercise, it would be a great way to get the Russian people behind Vlad and start a war with a nuclear power who has been our adversary since before most of us were born.
    Currently there is still a chance that the oligarchs and or higher military may pull the trigger on Vlad before this goes completely sideways.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,620 Senior Member
    This is getting a little surreal. . .

Vlad's reportedly shelling a nuclear power plant in S. Ukraine.  You'd only do that to get them to turn off the reactors to eliminate electrical flow to the country (tactically smart) or to antagonize the west (strategically dumb).

He's also reportedly making plans for executions, deportations, and assorted other dictatorial lunacy.  Again, a really good way to antagonize/galvanize his opposition.

Both of the above make no sense unless (A.) Vlad really is completely off his rocker or (B.) they're some kind of Ukrainian counter-op to get the west involved.

And the politics of NATO giving the Ukrainians massive amounts of military material but stopping short of a military commitment of their own just feels ludicrous:

NATO: "Here, have some missiles.  We'd really like you to shoot them at those guys."

Ukraine: "Cool!  We like shooting missiles at those guys anyway!  It's the most fun ever!"

Not really sure why we're supposed to think Putin will see ANY distinction between the two.

Strange days. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    So far the UN, NATO and EU has done very little to help. How will they restore Ukraine after it falls? Don't you think Putin has already thought of this?

They took the nuclear power plant, they are operating it. They had trained techs there  already. Think this was planned?

Is it so hard to get arms to Ukraine through Poland?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Bigslug said:
    This is getting a little surreal. . ..
    Strange days. . .

Vlad doesnt care if he antagonizes the west. He knows he can get away with it because:

1. He hasnt hit anything NATO yet. No one wants to go to war with a nuke power, even him. He knows the distinction. As long as he sucks up the losses, he can do whatever he wants to. Pop a NATO tank, and Article 5 kicks in. Conscripts die, keep going. The avg Russian soldier is being used as cannon fodder to suck up damage and buy time in a 1940's way or do you really think that Russia sent front line troops to take Ukraine on dry rotted tires? If they hadnt been awash in oil money rebuilding their military, then maybe they would go with what they got, but they have been raking in cash for 20 years.

2. if anyone NATO goes in, it justifies him to his people and countries allied with him that NATO is the aggressor. Is he able to rationalize the use of nukes if NATO moves in to what he says is Russia? Well, he rationalized a sovereign country is part of his country so. There is also the possibility that there really are chem weapons factory's in Ukraine to bolster his argument. Ukraine gave up the Soviet nukes because we told them we had their back (Clinton). NATO wouldnt let Ukraine join because of corruption while the elites took part in the corruption. Russia isnt afraid of using chem weapons on people, why shouldnt the Ukrainians try to build a WMD when they are on their own? Not saying there are there, but it is plausible.

3. He has been waiting on another fool in the WH since 2014 the last time he took a part of Ukraine.(Obama) He is emboldened by a pres who is more concerned about pronouns than war fighting ability. Biden laid out the red carpet when he shut down our oil production and green lighted Vlads making Germany dependent on him. Russians remember Germans, they dont want to play that game again. He looks at our media and sees a divided US (maybe with his help) of decadent whiners and figures we dont have the backbone to cut his oil money off or accept the threat of being nuked, and he is right so far. As a bonus, he has a Pres who is eyeball deep in Ukrainian corruption to point to as a propaganda token.

4. He knows that any coalition that has the US in it is going to hold back because the Biden admin screwed them in Afghanistan. No one is going to go all in with Joe Biden or any pres in the near to not so near future because of what was done to our allies, our friends, and our own people. So long as he doesnt trip Art 5 no one is going to help the Ukrainians.

5. As to executions, probably a little propaganda and a little truth. The Soviets didnt leave dissenters around, though they mostly killed them in prisons, and Vlad is a Soviet. Deport to Mother Russia, never see uncle again.

• PFDPFD Senior Member PNWPosts: 1,806 Senior Member

Is there a Brutus in Russia? Is there a more successful Colonel Stauffenberg in the Russian military? The only way this ends is for somebody in Russia to take this guy out. You would be doing your country - and the world - a great service.

A recent Lindsey Graham tweet.
    Since I don't think Putin's life is worth any more than any other civilians life, I'm ok with promoting the Russian people do the right thing.

That's all I got.

Paul