Home Main Category Clubhouse

Working knives.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,561 Senior Member
edited March 18 in Clubhouse #1
I am neither fancy, smart, or good enough to carry any of the pretty and elegant knives most of you post on here. My knuckles drag the ground and my knives are tools for work, not adornments. 
I break them and lose them on a regular basis. Therefore, expensive and fine are NOT a feature I look for in a knife. Function above all, with a low price tag. Cause it’s gonna die or get lost. Such is the nature of the beast. 

So, with that in mind, I’ve acquired a few new knifes the past couple weeks that I really like. 
Back in the day, some of you might remember I would modify Spyderco Knives to open on presentation. I modified many and lost them respectively until I learned to bend the pocket clip as well. Seems the flair at the end of the clip was prone to catching on brush and seatbelts. I lost about 3-4 of them before I started modifying both the thumb hole and the clip. I’d cut the front of the thumb hole off and create a hook that would catch my pocket and open the knife on presentation. Then, (after losing them) I learned to flatten the front of the pocket clip so it didn’t flair up and catch on brush or seatbelts and get pulled out of my pocket unknowingly. 
I guess over the years Spyderco caught on to the hook aspect and started making their own. I finally got around to buying two and that’s the most I’ve spent on knives since……ever. They were $100ish each. Damn, I almost had a coronary. But, I like them and after modifying the clip, they are my current go to work knives. The short blade is my right pocket utility knife and the longer one is my left pocket get off me knife. 

They ain’t fancy. The get stupid sharp. They function how I want, meaning they act as a fixed blade because they are open by the time I pull them out of my pocket. They won’t dig a hole to china but they with cut, open, slice and get you the £¥<€ off me with aplomb. I might shed a tear if/when I lose one, but…….I can hope I won’t. Regardless, a highly recommend for a EDC knife. 
While looking for a clever on Midway to help with butchering the itty bitty pigs my friend has been trapping, a Kabar knife popped up. I liked the look and price, so I ordered one. 

I am a fan of flippers and/or assisted opening knives. This one is a flipper and while not as fast as assisted opening like Kershaw, it’s a good working knife speed. It sharpens to hair shaving in only a few strokes of fine ceramic sticks and has a robust handle and blade. This is going to be my ranch utility knife. Cutting feed sacks, bale wrapping, pig throats, boxes and whatever the hell else I come across. The blade is designed for it and seems to do the job. And for $25 why the hell not?!?

I am a stickler for tip up clip option. Meaning I want the pocket clip to allow tip up placement from either pocket it’s going to ride in. These knives offer that and I am HARD on that being an option or it’s usually a no go for me. 

I don’t rate fancy knives. I rate sacrificial function. These do it. Welcome to my world. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    For the keen eye, you’ll notice that my utility knives present blade down and my “Get-Off-Me” knife presents blade up. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    My wife has set something of a record for losing Spydercos...had to switch brands to break the cycle...
    Anyway...nice cutters!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    My wife has set something of a record for losing Spydercos...had to switch brands to break the cycle...
    Anyway...nice cutters!
    Flatten the clip!!!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    my knives are tools, not adornments. 
    I break them and lose them on a regular basis. Therefore, expensive is NOT a feature I look for in a knife. Function above all, with a low price tag. Cause it’s gonna die or get lost.

The short blade is my right pocket utility knife and the longer one is my left pocket get off me knife. 

They ain’t fancy. They get stupid sharp. They function how I want, meaning they act as a fixed blade because they are open by the time I pull them out of my pocket.

I am a fan of flippers and/or assisted opening knives...
    Cutting feed sacks, bale wrapping, pig throats, boxes and whatever the hell else I come across. The blade is designed for it and seems to do the job. And for $25 why the hell not?!?

I don’t rate fancy knives. I rate sacrificial function. These do it. Welcome to my world. 

That's about where I'm at also.

If I don't break them in hard use, I often loose them and I sometimes even give them away to friends or family, so I want to good knife but not necessarily an expensive one.
    If it costs too much to break or abuse, I don't want it.
    Function over Finish.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I’ll be flattening the tip of the Kabar Clip as well. 
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 290 Member
    I’ve carried, used, and abused a Spyderco clip since 2001. Remember exactly when I bought it. It’s been a lot of places. it’s tough light and bomb proof.

When I need something larger the goto is a 1970’s era Schrade sharp finger. 
    I do like the Sharpfinger as well. It’s the basis of what I consider the perfect knife. 
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    I've got two Schrade Sharpfingers, the 3.5 and 7.5 model. They are my go-to hunting knives. I have a couple custom knives and a beautiful Finish knife, but usually just sit in my dresser. They were gifts and I don't want to screw them up. The Schrades are very sharp, easy to touch-up and are indestructible.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,083 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    My EDC serves double duty as the utility/GTFOM slashy-stabby. I am almost never without my Leatherman multi tool, but there are only two occasions I don't have my EDC on my person.  Sorry, but you fellas aren't invited to either of those occasions. 😉

That said, here is my current workhorse.

This is my first SOG, and I like it. The model is Aegis FLK. It's assisted opening, with a liner lock. Lockup is nearly fixed-blade SOLID. It holds an edge as well as anything I've owned and has enough length to get to what I need to get at. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Anyway...nice cutters!
    Flatten the clip!!!
    They were clipped to her PFD when we were kayaking Lake Michigan's western coast...in stages...No hope for ever finding them again...
    BUT...I'm taking your advice as it applies to my RAT 1 folders
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Ouch!!!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    Over the years I've given more pocket knives to TSA than I care to admit to.  Just a force of habit to always have one with me. I've been lucky to have my current pocket knife for the last four or five years.  I thought I lost it in Jan as I couldn't find it anywhere.  I found it my suit case.  I had been staying with son in Ft Worth during my Covid therapy sessions.  Man has to have a pocket knife with them!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    I’ve carried a Spyderco calypso jr for more than 15 years, every day. I’d be distraught if I ever lost it
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 290 Member
    A few here also use sharp fingers. Mine came with a leather sheath. I modified the sheath by attaching a 2in wide leather piece the length of the overall sheath to the back and used it as a strop. A dozen passes would usually bring the blade beyond razor sharp. 
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,984 Senior Member
    So far I've been fortunate to have held onto my current Benchmade Griptillian for going on 10 years, but it's also a bright orange handle and stainless steel blade. Spyderco has my attention though. Which model are you using?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 917 Senior Member
    Really like that Kabar, I'm a fan of sheepsfoot/wharncliffe style blades, mostly carry a Case stockman.

I like the look of the Gerber straight lace, you can get a lot of force with a squared off blade, nice for detailed work too,

Had a knifemaker do a sharpfinger style for me few years back.
    L6 from an old saw blade and pohutukawa handles, good looking knife, I think I posted it before.

So far I've been fortunate to have held onto my current Benchmade Griptillian for going on 10 years, but it's also a bright orange handle and stainless steel blade. Spyderco has my attention though. Which model are you using?

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    I was a Spyderco Endura addict for many years, going back to the days before the metal clips when they molded the clip out of the same polymer as the grip.  Frankly, I liked that better than the bendy metal clips that replaced it, but the reversible nature of the metal ones is handy.

The last one I bought was the hook style like Zee has.  Never warmed up to that one - the straighter edge never seemed to cut as efficiently as the curvier hookless ones.

Been running one of these for maybe 8-10 years now:

Benchmade Griptilian.  I was cold on a lot of other Benchmades because of their flat-panel, sharp-edged grips, but these are actually rounded off to fit the hand.  I like the Spyderco-style thumb hole and the Axis lock can also be held to the rear to flip the blade open or closed.  Spring-assists frankly scare me, and this gives me about the same ease and speed in a fully manual mode.  The sheepsfoot point has a pretty stiff reinforced point that's more user-friendly than a tanto

A little on the pricier side when I got it from Blade HQ, but the edge retention of the 154CM steel has been unreal compared to anything I've packed before.  I've lost one or two of these, but the price still manages to be on the good side of expendable, though I don't use my knives as pry-bars. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    For the keen eye, you’ll notice that my utility knives present blade down and my “Get-Off-Me” knife presents blade up. 
    Broke out my hooked Spyderco after reading this and started playing around with it.  I have the clip configured just like yours, but was carrying it on the right.  Are you coming out "icepick style" (blade closer to pinky) with the left hand or "saber style" (blade closer to index finger)?

Either the thumbhole or the Axis lock seems to give me a more positive grip on the knife that requires less shifting after coming out than the grip I come up with to keep the blade clear when using the hook on my pocket, but I'm sure you've got a system.

I also picked up a little Benchmade Bug Out on the concept that since I've started carrying guns on a daily basis, slashy-stabby didn't need as much emphasis.  That didn't really work out and I went back to the bigger Griptilian - - I just can't warm up to a dinky knife for use as a working tool.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 131 Member
    Bigslug said:
    <snip> - I just can't warm up to a dinky knife for use as a working tool.

A big knife can do most small knives' jobs, but it's pretty hard for a small knife to to do the work of a large one
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:
    Broke out my hooked Spyderco after reading this and started playing around with it.  I have the clip configured just like yours, but was carrying it on the right.  Are you coming out "icepick style" (blade closer to pinky) with the left hand or "saber style" (blade closer to index finger)?

Either the thumbhole or the Axis lock seems to give me a more positive grip on the knife that requires less shifting after coming out than the grip I come up with to keep the blade clear when using the hook on my pocket, but I'm sure you've got a system.

I also picked up a little Benchmade Bug Out on the concept that since I've started carrying guns on a daily basis, slashy-stabby didn't need as much emphasis.  That didn't really work out and I went back to the bigger Griptilian - - I just can't warm up to a dinky knife for use as a working tool.

3-4” is my preferred blade length for a daily knife. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Camofire has Morakaniv fixed knives reasonably priced today
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Couple of SOG autos for a friend and an uncle retiring this year, Aus-8 steel for both
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    I guess I'm really getting old. An old yellow handled Case Trapper does it for me day-to-day. I have a Benchmade Axis lock, that holds an edge like you wouldn't believe, (which also makes it a witch to sharpen), but since I paid $160 for it I'm scared to use it much.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I guess I'm really getting old. An old yellow handled Case Trapper does it for me day-to-day. I have a Benchmade Axis lock, that holds an edge like you wouldn't believe, (which also makes it a witch to sharpen), but since I paid $160 for it I'm scared to use it much.

Mike
    IIRC, the Benchmade has a lifetime guarantee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,083 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Camofire has Morakaniv fixed knives reasonably priced today
    Morakniv is my go-to working fixed blade, and Kershaw is my go to folding knife.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,415 Senior Member

While looking for a clever on Midway to help with butchering the itty bitty pigs my friend has been trapping, a Kabar knife popped up. I liked the look and price, so I ordered one. 

I am a fan of flippers and/or assisted opening knives. This one is a flipper and while not as fast as assisted opening like Kershaw, it’s a good working knife speed. It sharpens to hair shaving in only a few strokes of fine ceramic sticks and has a robust handle and blade. This is going to be my ranch utility knife. Cutting feed sacks, bale wrapping, pig throats, boxes and whatever the hell else I come across. The blade is designed for it and seems to do the job. And for $25 why the hell not?!?

I am a stickler for tip up clip option. Meaning I want the pocket clip to allow tip up placement from either pocket it’s going to ride in. These knives offer that and I am HARD on that being an option or it’s usually a no go for me. 

Dang it man!  You cost me money! I bought one of those Ka-bars! I had a Gerber but it literally fell apart in my pocket after 3 months of carry……
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    I use a Kershaw Leek as my daily work knife.  I loose them before I wear them out or break them at work.  Side note, my washing machine might take a beating from one that goes through the wash but it will remove about 1/2" off the tip of the knife in the process.  I think the washing machine won that contest.  Some day I will recontour the end of the blade to make it less likely to do damage if it snags on something.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    edited April 19 #31
    Here's a early 70's Sharpfinger. $19 would get you a 2 year sub. and a branded Sharpfinger.

My daily is one of these, depending on what I'm doing and my mood.

Benchmade Mini Barrage, flipper, 154CM
    AKC XTreme ,OTF auto, AUS8
    H&K Patrol, built by Benchmade, auto, D2
    Boker Mini Kalashniikov, auto, AUS8
    Victorinox Officier Suisse, stainless
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270