Home Main Category General Firearms

Ruger American Ranch Rifle?

2»

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    The Ruger American finally came in today. A day over 2 weeks since I ordered it. Not too bad, I guess. Several days waiting for the electronic check to clear, Bud's shipping is pretty backed up, then shipping was delayed due to weather issues and yesterday being a holiday. Now, I've just gotta get off work so I can go home to the man cave, clean and assemble and have it ready for a test run. I got the Vortex scope, rings, muzzle brake and a cheek rest pouch like the one Zee has and have two 10-round P-mags for it. So pretty much ready to go. Pics once I get it put together, then range report when I have a chance to take it out.

Initial thoughts on the scope, just from a quick look holding it up and looking through it, it doesn't look bad at all. I didn't notice any really bad blurring around the edges. Once it's mounted on the rifle and I have a chance to look through it better, I'll get a better idea and report. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,266 Senior Member
    Looking forward to your range report
    I have a few Vortex sights and find them well made and clear for the price point.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Got it assembled last night. Quick picture and rundown.
    Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12x40 on Leupold Rifleman rings
    SilencerCo muzzle brake
    Midway USA cheek rest/storage pouch
    2 10-round P-Mags

Observations from working on it; 
    Very handy. Nice and short. Exactly what I wanted. I took the barreled action out of the stock for quick cleaning and trigger adjustment. Out of the box, the trigger was 6 pounds. The trigger adjusted as light as I could get it and still have the adjustment screw securely in place was 4 pounds. That's as low as she'll go. A tiny bit of creep just before it breaks, but overall very serviceable. I'm guessing some shooting and use will smooth it up. They definitely didn't hold back when they torqued the action screws in at the factory. They were TIGHT! Since they had them in there that tight, I torqued them back down to 55 inch pounds. Still wasn't as tight as the factory torque, but that's probably beyond good enough. I had a heck of a time finding the right shim combination to clock the muzzle brake correctly. Spent a good 45 minutes trying different combos before I found one that I settled on, then put a dob of Rockset to hold it in place and tightened it on. Since it was already well past dark when I finished, I didn't get a good look through the scope. That'll happen this evening and possibly a sight-in and test session this weekend, if I can slip away.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,511 Senior Member
    Looks all business!  I’m sure it won’t disappoint. 👍
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,133 Senior Member
    Nice!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    edited February 24 #37
    I called Ruger and asked what their torque setting was once. 

75 inch lbs!! Holy $h!t!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I called Ruger and asked what their torque setting was once. 

75 inch lbs!! Holy $h!t!!!
    Wow. I probably could have checked the user manual it came with to see if it had a spec in it. I just went with 55 in/lbs as that's much higher than I usually go. Guess I'll be torqueing it again before I shoot it. I'm not even sure if my torque wrench goes that high. Maybe 60-65 in/lbs and call it good.

It was a PITA getting those things to break loose. My usual screwdriver type bit driver wasn't cutting it. Tried my T-handle type driver and felt like I was about to twist the handle off. So went back to the screwdriver type, stuck a screwdriver through the hole on the top of the handle and used that for a little extra torque. That got them loose.
    edited March 9 #39
    Update on this one;

A buddy of mine and I decided last weekend to go out and do some scouting before we put in for our draw hunts. Primarily, we wanted to scout our javelina areas and decide if it's worth it to put in the $75 or so for a tag. If javelina and their sign are scarce, not really worth the money. 

Anyhow, I took this as an opportunity to take the new Ranch rifle out. Since we were on a separate mission, I didn't take the time to do a real sight in. Just a small box with some pasters on it, a few rounds at 50 yards, then a few at 100 to get it close enough for now. I only took one load, factory 62gr hollow points. Even with a quick and crude setup on front and rear bags, it didn't seem to like that load well. First shot at 100 yards was about 1/2" high and right of POI. Made an adjustment on the scope for that and it went 2" low, centered. I went back up the 1/2" and left it alone and fired a 3 round group. Inconsistent, but within about 1.5". I called that good and we headed out for our scouting mission, also keeping an eye out for 'yotes.

The quick rundown of the day; No 'yotes, 2 rabbits down and saw one javelina and plenty of sign. Also accidentally ended up in a new area and down a not so well traveled road we've never explored and found an apparent old homestead with two grave markers. It was pretty interesting just looking around. A quick search seemed to turn up that the woman passed in Mississippi about 11 years ago.. She must have had some kind of ties to this place, I guess.

Guess I could have put this in the hunting thread, but just put it here rather than starting a new thread.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,683 Senior Member
    That’s a pretty cool find!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Link appears to be to the Predator, which is the 22" barrel version rather than the 16.5" on the Ranch.  Still cool, if someone wanted one with the longer barrel. The 16" is the ticket for adding a device to the muzzle and still keeping the OAL manageable.  
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 34 Member
    Jay said:
    Link appears to be to the Predator, which is the 22" barrel version rather than the 16.5" on the Ranch.  Still cool, if someone wanted one with the longer barrel. The 16" is the ticket for adding a device to the muzzle and still keeping the OAL manageable.  
    My friend has a Ranch rifle like yours Jay.  He found that his likes 55 gr. Frontier ammo. It's pretty accurate, at least at 100 yds, best group he shot was just over 1 1/4 inches.
    He uses MagPull magazines in his and they work flawlessly. Enjoy your new rifle.
    At some point I'll do some handloading for mine.  I'm planning on 55gr Vmaxs and 75 grain ELDs, since I have a good supply of them, and go from there.  Unfortunately, I have way too much stuff going on to do much loading and shooting right now, so projects are getting pushed aside for the time being.