Home Main Category Personal Defense

Serious issues in situational awareness

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberPosts: 1,259 Senior Member
Three issues came to light this week concerning my vehicle situational awareness; seat belts, sleeping and cell phones. 
Currently I'm the designated driver for the family. So at times I might spend 15 minutes or an hour or so in my truck waiting. 
The other day I realized that I was sitting there in the Anniston Walmart parking lot strapped in my truck. Not a good feeling for me. 
That got me thinking more about it  which identified the cell phone problem. Getting absorbed in my phone while waiting. Not good. 
Then there's falling asleep while waiting. I don't sleep much at night. I have a reputation since a I was a kid of being able to sleep in a vehicle. I can go out like a light when a passenger. 
Falling asleep alone in a parked vehicle is not a good idea. 
Therefore, the retraining has begun.
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,045 Senior Member
    Dump the smartphone...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    I cannot begin to count the hours that I have set in the car, mostly in hospital parking lots, over the years...certainly in the hundreds...
    Primarily because I won't  wait on my spouse inside the hospital...where, if there is something to catch...that's exactly where you're  going to catch it.

Unbuckle your seatbelt...lock the doors...listen to the radio...read a good book...and yes...if you set there long enough, you're  going to drift off...unless you're not human.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,894 Senior Member
    Dump the book. It's going to impede your situational awareness. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,403 Senior Member
    Truthfully, if it's not a losing battle, it's a challenging one.

The problem with being the good guy is you're always reactive to what the other guy does. The lion only has to be alert when its hungry; the impala has to be alert ALL THE TIME, which is very tough.  The trick then is to give the impression of a hard target to make lions go elsewhere.

Fortunately, given so many totally oblivious folks wandering around today, that ain't real hard.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    Dump the book. It's going to impede your situational awareness. 
    Depends, on where you where you are sitting, how you are orientated, and your familiarity with your surroundings, probably not a he best idea to be engrossed in a suspenseful novel, but fiddling with the radio because you do not want to listen to “Jump” by Van Halen is not much better of a distraction 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    It's  strange how I can read a book and still be  aware of anyone approaching my vehicle I need to be concerned about....Where I park must have a lot to do with it...I avoid crowded parts of the lot...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,894 Senior Member
    We need a sarcasm font.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,573 Senior Member
    We need a sarcasm font.
    I picked up on it. Was watching the cork and waiting. 😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,403 Senior Member
    Of course, sitting in a car for 15 minutes around here will kill you from heatstroke, so "situational awareness" mostly consists of realizing "I'm dehydrated".  ;)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,291 Senior Member
    edited April 11 #11
    Jayhawker said:
    It's  strange how I can read a book and still be  aware of anyone approaching my vehicle I need to be concerned about....Where I park must have a lot to do with it...I avoid crowded parts of the lot...
    I was hoping for a more "tactical" response :p, fishing as it were....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Unbuckle your seatbelt...lock the doors...listen to the radio...read a good book...and yes...if you set there long enough, you're  going to drift off...unless you're not human.

Depends on what you drive. If I unbuckle the seatbelt, then I would have to undo the parking brake manually to make a get-a-way. I also need the belt to hold me in place should I need to..... MOVE another vehicle out of the way.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,746 Senior Member
    If you find yourself drifting off to sleep, get out and walk around the vehicle (if it's clear), otherwise, play rap music -- you won't fall asleep 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 603 Senior Member
    Get a wire fox terror to post overwatch in your truck.  About 18 pounds of 110% situational awareness that doesn't shed or drool. Nothing will get close to your vehicle without you being aware of it.  Ever.

(Terror is not a spelling error.  'Terrier' is what the tourists and uninitiated call the breed.)
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,323 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    Get a wire fox terror to post overwatch in your truck.  About 18 pounds of 110% situational awareness that doesn't shed or drool. Nothing will get close to your vehicle without you being aware of it.  Ever.

(Terror is not a spelling error.  'Terrier' is what the tourists and uninitiated call the breed.)
    Had a Jack Russell. Can confirm...
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:

Had a Jack Russell. Can confirm...
    I have a  Jack Russell/pit bull mix  but she's  a home body.  Likes to stay near my wife. 
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 863 Senior Member
    When relegated to sitting and waiting duty, it is waiting for the wife........which means our doberman is in the vehicle...she works two jobs at that time: early warning system and a hell of a deterrent to any lowlife thinking about doing no good.  Her bark will scare anybody off........... 
    Grumpy old gearhead