Home Main Category General Firearms

Which one……

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,715 Senior Member
I’m thinking about getting another youth model .22 BA. 

Recently I saw a Savage youth model .22 BA. I haven’t held one yet. 

I have seen the Cricket models for years but have never handled one. 

I do have a Daisy model from 30 yrs ago. My first grandchild is due in August. Hopefully my other son will eventually have children. 

So….. I want to get another youth model. Does anyone have experience with the Savage or Cricket?
«1

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,682 Senior Member
    I have the cricket pistol. About as close as my experience gets. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    I remember that gun
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 632 Senior Member
    I bought 2 Crickets for the Grandkids they have been ok in my opinion great for what they are they can both get on paper at 25 yds and they haven't failed to fire in the limited use so far
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Good to know. Thanks!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,682 Senior Member
    While I’ll say my Cricket experience is no match credibility. They shoot. They function. They hit stuff at 25 yrds with irons and Red Dots and they are cheap. Beyond that…….your call. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Exactly what’s expected of them. 

    I haven’t compared prices yet. 
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 632 Senior Member
    I got mine 3 years ago at the time I wanted the Savage just because of the name and the price at the time was only a few dollars more but I couldn't find the Savage ones 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    edited May 12 #9
    If the prices are close I’ll probably go Savage because of the name also. 

    Although, with the Cricket I could get a neutral color stock. Then it wouldn’t be a big deal to paint the stock if I have a granddaughter one day. 
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    If you can find an anschutz woodchucker anywhere reasonably priced.

    Buy it.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 632 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    If the prices are close I’ll probably go Savage because of the name also. 

    Although, with the Cricket I could get a neutral color stock. Then it wouldn’t be a big deal to paint the stock if I have a granddaughter one day. 
    I bought a pink one and a blue one so I'm covered LOL
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    If you can find an anschutz woodchucker anywhere reasonably priced.

    Buy it.
    I’ll look it up
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    gunner81 said:
    RugerFan said:
    If the prices are close I’ll probably go Savage because of the name also. 

    Although, with the Cricket I could get a neutral color stock. Then it wouldn’t be a big deal to paint the stock if I have a granddaughter one day. 
    I bought a pink one and a blue one so I'm covered LOL
    If I didn’t already have the Daisy(it’s all black) I’d certainly do that!! 
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 632 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    gunner81 said:
    RugerFan said:
    If the prices are close I’ll probably go Savage because of the name also. 

    Although, with the Cricket I could get a neutral color stock. Then it wouldn’t be a big deal to paint the stock if I have a granddaughter one day. 
    I bought a pink one and a blue one so I'm covered LOL
    If I didn’t already have the Daisy(it’s all black) I’d certainly do that!! 
    Well I have a Granddaughter and Grandson so thats my reason
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    CZ still makes the 457 Scout but boy it's pricey for a 'grow out of' rifle...


    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    I wouldn’t be surprised. 

    I did look up the Anschutz Woodchucker. I found one on Gunbroker. It was over $1k. 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised. 

    I did look up the Anschutz Woodchucker. I found one on Gunbroker. It was over $1k. 
    Half that...... but still

    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    Yeah you have to find one that's affordable generally in a used rack.
    Mine was 75.00
    While buying it another customer said he had one at home he didnt use. 
    If I had known just how precise the little things are I'd have jumped at the hint.

    They are out there and worth grabbing if you do see one.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,495 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised. 

    I did look up the Anschutz Woodchucker. I found one on Gunbroker. It was over $1k. 
    That’s insane.  For that kind of money you are in the used 54 territory.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    Yeah you have to find one that's affordable generally in a used rack.
    Mine was 75.00
    While buying it another customer said he had one at home he didnt use. 
    If I had known just how precise the little things are I'd have jumped at the hint.

    They are out there and worth grabbing if you do see one.
    The internet has pretty much dried up the 'afforable used rack'.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised. 

    I did look up the Anschutz Woodchucker. I found one on Gunbroker. It was over $1k. 
    That’s insane.  For that kind of money you are in the used 54 territory.
    It was a .22 WMR and not a LR
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Yeah you have to find one that's affordable generally in a used rack.
    Mine was 75.00
    While buying it another customer said he had one at home he didnt use. 
    If I had known just how precise the little things are I'd have jumped at the hint.

    They are out there and worth grabbing if you do see one.
    The internet has pretty much dried up the 'afforable used rack'.
    I haven't found that to be true for many shops I frequent. 

    One is they dont have time.

    Two is they simply dont know all the nuances of what they take in.

    Three is they would rather deal in volume and make a quick buck.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,495 Senior Member
    Yeah you have to find one that's affordable generally in a used rack.
    Mine was 75.00
    While buying it another customer said he had one at home he didnt use. 
    If I had known just how precise the little things are I'd have jumped at the hint.

    They are out there and worth grabbing if you do see one.
    The internet has pretty much dried up the 'afforable used rack'.
    I haven't found that to be true for many shops I frequent. 

    One is they dont have time.

    Two is they simply dont know all the nuances of what they take in.

    Three is they would rather deal in volume and make a quick buck.
    Yep, the old style LGS is dying.  My buddy is closing his for retail and his new model is he’ll be buying guns locally to sell on Gunbroker exclusively.  Hell also do transfers but that’s it.  No more stock, no more ammo or accessories.  No money in it.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    edited May 16 #24
    Even the old shops left around here price according to Gunbroker. Even if they don't ship.

    I worked with a guy the last few years that set up a table at the gun shows. He used to get his inventory at auctions. The last 10 years guns get bid up to near new retail. Only chance for deals is trade-ins and the rare widow wanting to sell husbands entire collection at once.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,495 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Even the old shops left around here price according to Gunbroker. Even if they don't ship.

    I worked with a guy the last few years that set up a table at the gun shows. He used to get his inventory at auctions. The last 10 years guns get bid up to near new retail. Only chance for deals is trade-ins and the rare widow wanting to sell husbands entire collection at once.
    You are right.  Lots of folks selling unappreciated heirlooms for Glocks and ARs nowadays.  A dealer with cash can pick up a lot of stuff that will make a good profit on GB.
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 471 Member
    We have a pink cricket single shot.  Always gone bang.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,375 Senior Member

    I meant to do this sooner, L-R, standard 10-22, youth 10-22 with fiber optic irons, Savage Cub with accutrigger and a peep sight, Henry Mini-bolt with fiber optic sights, the Henry is the fan favorite in my house
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Plug "Winchester 67A" into GB's search engine and scroll down until you find the Boy's Rifle variants.  The Crickets and Chipmunks are somewhat lighter, but basically a cheap imitation of these.

    The advantage of the CZ is it ships with a dummy magazine and can be upgraded to a repeater when the time is right.  Also a little heavier.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

    I meant to do this sooner, L-R, standard 10-22, youth 10-22 with fiber optic irons, Savage Cub with accutrigger and a peep sight, Henry Mini-bolt with fiber optic sights, the Henry is the fan favorite in my house
    Didn’t know Henry made that. 

    Did the Savage come with that rear sight?
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Plug "Winchester 67A" into GB's search engine and scroll down until you find the Boy's Rifle variants.  The Crickets and Chipmunks are somewhat lighter, but basically a cheap imitation of these.

    The advantage of the CZ is it ships with a dummy magazine and can be upgraded to a repeater when the time is right.  Also a little heavier.
    Didn’t know that about the CZ. I’m sure it’s more $ but having a repeater would be nice
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,375 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #31
    RugerFan said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

    I meant to do this sooner, L-R, standard 10-22, youth 10-22 with fiber optic irons, Savage Cub with accutrigger and a peep sight, Henry Mini-bolt with fiber optic sights, the Henry is the fan favorite in my house
    Didn’t know Henry made that. 

    Did the Savage come with that rear sight?
    Yes, but, I "won" it at a Friends of the NRA banquet  and it might have been a package for the event, it is a good .22, it was just heavier than the Henry and the kids liked the green/red fiber optics on the Henry, the Henry is a shooter, red squirrels are not safe near the hunting shack. I wish I could have gotten the youth 10-22 in stainless, would be the truck rifle for sure.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement