Home Main Category General Firearms

Up close to a REAL Unicorn…

Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
I believe there are 5 legal transferable real M-60s in the world.  This baby is one of them and it’s a 6 figure ($$$,$$$) example.  The dealer is one of my partners and yesterday I got to see it test fired and got a full education on the gun and operation from a guy who was a gunner and instructor in the ARMY for many years.  He’s another one of my partners and a world class instructor that is swiftly becoming a great friend.  The new owner also brought a G3 and an MP5 to play with.  

GOD that was AWESOME!!!!  I’m so grateful for moments like this one.

I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬

Replies

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    You live a good life Wambli!
    Thanks for sharing.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,568 Senior Member
    That’s cool. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    Standing next to it while it was being fired was flat out cool!!!  Seeing it on TV and movies does it no justice… 
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,193 Senior Member
    edited May 13 #5
    The M-60 is/was a beast.  Luckily I was never the Soldier that had to carry it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,519 Senior Member
    I almost got to shoot one, once!! We had a Marine unit at Volk Field for winter training. One Saturday morning our munitions sgt. called and said they had 2000 rounds of ammo to burn up and meet them at the range on base!! They had three M-60's set up, the Marines said they'd get the guns up and running then we could take over.  They shot the first few bursts and I noticed the tracer rounds ricocheted  over the bluff and into the woods. Before I could ask if that would be a problem I saw several swirls of smoke curling up from the woods. We shut things down and got busy stomping out several small fire with our size 13's before the rest of the woods caught fire!! So Close!!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    I got to shoot one when I was on a fan fire with the Marines. You can't have more fun with your cloths on. The only thing that came close was the M79 grenade launcher. That was just cool!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #8
    I was an assistant gunner for about a year. First new private we got I passed off that hot potatoe (wasn't all fun and shooting, had to carry the extra barrel and a can of ammo on the 12mi road marches)...... Qualified expert (although the second time, they stole half a belt off of me because they were running out). Shot it left handed the first time, right handed the second. Easier to just go RH than argue with the Butterbar that said, "It's impossible!" I did it last time just fine.. 

Edit: Not a real can of ammo. Just a weighted can.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    They are fun to shoot. I fired one the first time of many when I was 17 at good old Ft. Leonard Wood.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,568 Senior Member
    rbsivley said:
    They are fun to shoot. I fired one the first time of many when I was 17 at good old Ft. Leonard Wood.
    I’ve been there!  Not much to speak of. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    rbsivley said:
    That is where I took basic and ait at.  Fired M-16 and M-60 the first time there also.  
    There was very little there in 1977
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,531 Senior Member
    Sounds like a real fun day!
    Good for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,519 Senior Member
    Da wife got to shoot an M60 during an exercise (only with blanks) when she was part of the aggressor team!! Worked great until it jammed up.....when her BDU shirt fed in with the ammo belt and plugged the works. Then she became know as casualty!!
    I've learned since then that she has the capability to fubar an anvil!!  B)
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    Was assigned this weapon in Korea...spent a lot of range time with it...while it's a lot of fun to shoot, as far as GPMGs go, it not the top of the heap...that accolade goes to the MAG58...and the 60 is definitely not the MG42 , no matter what the "experts" would have us believe
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited May 14 #15
    Wish Centermass556 was still around, he would understand this. The Airborne guys had the M249, we were just SIgnal and still had VERY old M60's. One of the reason we had trouble getting ammo to qualify sometimes.

While we were in the field one time, the Airborne Commander (for a reason I forget) got a burr up his butt to show Signal what for. We were already suspicious because they made us dig foxholes and wear our MILES gear (MILES were censors to tell a 'hit' from a laser mounted to a weapon on your person. When it went off you were 'dead'. We never dug foxholes or wore MILES just in the field.

As a stroke of luck and proof that OPSEC works, our CQ overheard at the PX the plans for Airborne to do a live jump and attack our position at night. He told our 1st Sgt and our Top got every M60 in the whole battalion out to us. :) Every foxhole had a 60 and two 16's in it...... We slaughtered them. Their Commander had them road marching for weeks after that.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I got to shoot the M-60 quite a bit for not having it issued to me.
    Have wanted to shoot the M-240B since i watched a live fire at work.   
    Any of you younger folks shot it and can tell us the difference?
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    Isn't this the one that Sylvester Stalone wields one handed while guiding the belt with the other hand?
    That doesn't look so tough.😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    That's all I got.

Paul
    Yeah right!  Rambo had it easy with blanks… 🤣
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    Later this week I’ll post pictures of the Toyota they converted into a colander with this thing…. Just saw it today and I can’t lie, I chuckled a little… 😈
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬
    PFD said:
    Isn't this the one that Sylvester Stalone wields one handed while guiding the belt with the other hand?
    That doesn't look so tough.😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    Don't use that lightweight as an example......... ;)

• rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    rbsivley said:
    That is where I took basic and ait at.  Fired M-16 and M-60 the first time there also.  
    I was there in the summer of 75. C-4-2. I lucked out and got to demo every individual and crew served weapon we trained on. 
    What? Did you forget Waynesville?
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
    rbsivley said:
    Diver43 said:
    rbsivley said:
    I was there in the summer of 75. C-4-2. I lucked out and got to demo every individual and crew served weapon we trained on. 
    What? Did you forget Waynesville?
    Some things you just remember  C 1-2, First of the best, Better than the rest.

Waynesville ?   Not much to remember there.
    7.62 vs Camry…
    I’m baaaaaaaaack… 😬