Home Main Category Clubhouse

Finally found my way back under the seas diving again

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberJ&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,526 Senior Member
My wife and I returned on Monday from a long weekend in Jupiter FL. I did two shark dives on Sat before the tropical storm roared in! I'm nineteen months post Covid from leaving the hospital and two and half years since my last dives. I had a blast and felt so good diving again. Our first dive was a 50 min drift dive where we had six Silky's following us. The next dive was a 75' wreck dive where a couple of tiger sharks hung out that turned into another drift dive. The tigers didn't show! We did have a couple of Silky's, a few large nurse sharks and two 8' Goliath Groupers. The groupers were super cool! The last dive was a 90/95' wreck dive that I backed out on. I set a goal of no more than 75' the first time out.

It felt great being under the water again, though I did struggle with my buoyancy here and there. It's something I've never had an issue with in the past, but something I need to focus on next time out.

Going back later to dive with more sharks this summer and then Belize in the fall.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,712 Senior Member
    Great news, and glad it went well. Not a diver but diving with sharks is just not something I think I could ever do. Too damn intimidating!!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,641 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #3
    The grouper are cool, they are HUGE! I love how the PC police changed the fish's name!! Goliath was the Philistine that slew the Jews, nothing offensive there!!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,141 Senior Member
    Glad you’re up and about and enjoying your passions and hobbies again.  The pictures are awesome!  I’m also a little envious, haven’t been underwater in a few years.  Need to remedy that.  Thanks for reminding me!!!!

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,185 Senior Member
    I couldn't do it, despite working with and around divers for decades. Tried snorkeling once. Couldn't get past the idea of breathing with my face underwater...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,255 Senior Member
    That’s great, Jeff!  Awesome pics!

I would love to go SCUBA again- It’s been 30 years since I tried it.   
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,511 Senior Member
    Nope. Nope. Nope... If my feet can't touch the bottom, I'm not going.  I'm definitely not going where the fish are bigger than me and have sharp teeth... 

Glad you've recovered so well and are able to enjoy those kind of things again.  Have fun.  I'll wave from the shore...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,577 Senior Member
    Glad to hear you are continuing the road to recovery, cool pictures hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,461 Senior Member
    Great photos
    Glad you have gotten back to blowing bubbles.
    Buoyancy issues work themself out with time underwater.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    Are all 3 sharks in the above pics Silky's? Never heard that term before, just curious. We don't see many of those here in Michigan's UP.....

I say with great certainty, though....I would have soiled myself. 

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,526 Senior Member
    bklysen said:
    Are all 3 sharks in the above pics Silky's? Never heard that term before, just curious. We don't see many of those here in Michigan's UP.....

I say with great certainty, though....I would have soiled myself. 

Silky's are also know as reef sharks!

• bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    Thanks. That does look like a lot of fun. Some day.....  
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,141 Senior Member
    edited June 12 #13
    A few years ago wife and I were on a dive boat and the next dive was a “wall dive” basically we were diving the edge of the abyss where it dropped from 148’ into a trench with a depth of a few thousand feet.  

Big sharks LOVE to hang out there.  So the dive master asked “Who here has a plan for when the big sharks show up?”.  

Guy next to me raises his hand and the Divemaster points at him.  He enthusiastically points at his wife and says “I’ll stab her and swim like hell back to the boat!”  

I almost peed myself 🤣🤣🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    A few years ago wife and I were on a dive boat and the next dive was a “wall dive” basically we were diving the edge of the abyss where it dropped from 148’ into a trench with a depth of a few thousand feet.  

Big sharks LOVE to hang out there.  So the dive master asked “Who here has a plan for when the big sharks show up?”.  

Guy next to me raises his hand and the Divemaster points at him.  He enthusiastically points at his wife and says “I’ll stab her and swim like hell back to the boat!”  

I almost peed myself 🤣🤣🤣

Good plan, just make sure the life insurance covers shark attack. 😁

Great pictures Jeff. What size tanks did you use? What was your bottom time like. Certainly seems like your lungs are healing up nice. 👍

I haven't gone diving in so long my BDC looks like a prune.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,526 Senior Member
    They were standard 11 liter aluminum tanks used in the US.  My first dive was 51 min drift dive.  Our second lasted 45 min which was a 75' bottom dive for 15 min or so, then it turned into a 30' drift dive.  I did OK for my first dives after 2.5 years.  I really struggled with my buoyancy as I was over weighted.  Something I've never had an issue with in the past, but need to work on next time out. 

Four years ago I took my youngest son Ryan on a shark dive.  First time we ever dove together.  We we're all suited up, tanks on and ready to jump in.  My son said, "dad are you sure about this"?  Loudly so everyone could hear I said, your mom told me we needed to downsize by one kid!  I'd nick you in the thigh and the tigers should make pretty fast work of you!  His look was priceless, the other divers roared in laughter as we dropped in one by one!  He still tells people that story!