Home Main Category Clubhouse

Zorba had to buy a new phone...

zorbazorba Senior MemberMerrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,185 Senior Member
Old phone on left - was turned off with the 3G turnoff, even though its a 4G LTE phone.
New phone on right. This thing is a BEAST!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
)O(

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,141 Senior Member
    Never heard of that one.  Good luck with it 👍

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,450 Senior Member
    Here they will give us a free new one ........ the line to get one is crazy !
    Which network?  Just curious.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,657 Senior Member
    Why do you need such a contraption? We didn't have those 30 years ago and got along fine. 

Dang techies!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,185 Senior Member
    edited June 24 #6
    This one runs on AT&T, but T-mobile and Verizon also offer them. I'm using Consumer Cellular. It was a bit of an adventure to buy this thing both new and unlocked, but I got it done.

I'd been lusting after a Sonim for years, but all they had for a long time were various "candybar" phones, smart and otherwise. So I was using the Rugby 4 as per your rec, and it was just fine. 2019 Sonim introduced their first flip, and it has apparently been wildly popular, although it was noted for strange navigation. Last year they came out with the "Plus" version which apparently fixed the weird nav plus enhanced battery life, blah, blah, blah.

I'm liking it so far. It would be nice if I don't have to buy a new one for at least a decade, and I wouldn't complain if it were never.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    JKP said:
    Why do you need such a contraption? We didn't have those 30 years ago and got along fine. 

Dang techies!

I bought my first cell phone in about 1988 or '89 - a Panasonic bag phone. I'd still be using it today if it still worked. I used it right up til they turned off the old analog "G1" service in 2007. LOVED THAT PHONE!

)O(
    zorba said:
    This one runs on AT&T, but T-mobile and Verizon also offer them. I'm using Consumer Cellular. It was a bit of an adventure to buy this thing both new and unlocked, but I got it done.

I'd been lusting after a Sonim for years, but all they had for a long time were various "candybar" phones, smart and otherwise. So I was using the Rugby 4 as per your rec, and it was just fine. 2019 Sonim introduced their first flip, and it has apparently been wildly popular, although it was noted for strange navigation. Last year they came out with the "Plus" version which apparently fixed the weird nav plus enhanced battery life, blah, blah, blah.

I'm liking it so far. It would be nice if I don't have to buy a new one for at least a decade, and I wouldn't complain if it were never.
    Cool!  I like the specs on that device, should last you a long time assuming 4G doesn’t get unplugged.  I’m getting yet another iPhone with my new job and have to make some decisions going forward.  I might just sell my current iPhone 12 and pocket the money and transfer my SIM/number to a simpler device just to keep the old number alive during a transition period, or even keep it as a backup or “hardy” phone for outdoor expeditions.  So I’m interested in your range report on voice/sound quality and such.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited June 24 #9
    zorba said:

Cool!  I like the specs on that device, should last you a long time assuming 4G doesn’t get unplugged.  I’m getting yet another iPhone with my new job and have to make some decisions going forward.  I might just sell my current iPhone 12 and pocket the money and transfer my SIM/number to a simpler device just to keep the old number alive during a transition period, or even keep it as a backup or “hardy” phone for outdoor expeditions.  So I’m interested in your range report on voice/sound quality and such.

The one call I've made with it thus far demonstrated phenomenal voice quality - Sonims are known for that apparently. Noise cancellation is supposed to be above par as well. I bought this because its supposed to be "professional grade" and thus far it sure seems like it.

I haven't yet been able to get it to mount via USB on my Mac - works fine on Windows...

)O(
    zorba said:
    zorba said:

The one call I've made with it thus far demonstrated phenomenal voice quality - Sonims are known for that apparently. Noise cancellation is supposed to be above par as well. I bought this because its supposed to be "professional grade" and thus far it sure seems like it.

I haven't yet been able to get it to mount via USB on my Mac - works fine on Windows...
    And you probably won’t.  MAC, especially older version of the OS, don’t play well with others… 🤣

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

zorba said:
    zorba said:

And you probably won’t.  MAC, especially older version of the OS, don’t play well with others… 🤣

Yea, they never have - but they've gotten MUCH better in recent years. Its just a "mass storage" device to the computer, I'd expect it to work - everything else I plug into this thing generally does. {INSERT RANT ABOUT APPLE & M$ HERE}

Most of the phones I've owned had either per-user or per-group ringtone customizations, but my Rugby didn't. I'm glad to have it back on this Sonim, I can tell who's calling before I even reach for/run to the phone and/or whether or not I want to bother! Family gets one ringtone, dance sisters get another, wife has her own special one (air raid siren), everyone else in the phone book gets one - so if its a SPAM call, it gets the default so I don't bother with it.

)O(