Home Main Category Hunting

There's invasive..... then there's invasive

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPensacola, FLPosts: 10,809 Senior Member
edited April 13 in Hunting #1
I have a new mission. I have been watching a red bellied wood pecker hollow out a nest behind the house for two weeks. I was going to watch the pair raise the chicks. 

Yesterday there was a starling in the nest. Starlings are invasive and will push out other birds eggs or chicks and steal the nest. I doubt the red belly will come back, but the starling has to go. 

My usual pest control tool is out of commission. A Crosman 1377 I tried to put a red dot on that wouldn't stay zeroed. Put the rear sight back on and accuracy went to crap. Scope mount bent the barrel or something. Going to go in town and look for a replacement/upgrade. Maybe a Gamo Whisper.......
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,200 Senior Member
    My Grandmother used to shoot starlings off the martin house with a .22.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,252 Senior Member
    I have a Gamo WhisperCat that is awesome.  Don’t use the light pellets, or you will get the supersonic “crack”.

It works great on birds and squirrels
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,809 Senior Member
    I have a Gamo WhisperCat that is awesome.  Don’t use the light pellets, or you will get the supersonic “crack”.

.22?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    Wipe out every single one of those that you can put a red dot or a cross hair on....have been my nemesis since I was a kid. I too spent a lot of time and effort as a kid putting together nesting boxes, bird houses, etc to attract birds that are indigenous to my area and nothing gets my blood boiling like watching these scum birds in action.
    Good luck to you, wish I was there to lend a hand....I'd work for free.
    jbp-ohio said:

.22?
    No, .177
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    I've had great luck with 22 CB caps. They're quiet and accurate out of my single shot Remington 514. They have dispatched many a critter.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,130 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    I've had great luck with 22 CB caps. They're quiet and accurate out of my single shot Remington 514. They have dispatched many a critter.
    Yep.  I use a long barreled .22 bolt rifle loaded with CB Longs (CCI makes them) and shoot from inside your house through an open window.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited April 17 #9
    Went a different route. Saw this at the LGS and just wanted it.... and it was on sale!

Uses 2 C02 cylinders to reach 700fps

….and?

have you shot it yet?  Is the startling with Elvis now?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited April 18 #11
    I am about at 30 rounds offhand just leaning against the garage door frame. I thought the trigger and accuracy was meh, but it needs broken in and the rear sight stinks .Accuracy was about 1'' at 10yds. The trigger is 4x better now. See where it's at with 100 more rounds and bench it. Then if it gets sub .5''..........

The starling never came back. The redbelly has been in the nest. We'll she what (if anything) she is raising.......
    It will also be used in the battle of the Chipmunks. Little turds are digging all through my leach field.

So are the groundhogs. Just got #4 last week with the real 10//2 and a .22 short...... You would think a short thru the lungs would allow them to get to their hole but nope..... 20'.  I've seen them run 100 yards to the hole trailing all of their guts from a 30/30 hit..
    Score two munks. You can hear the impact.....
    3 for 5 on Munks, and 0 for two on Starlings :(

Little change of plans. We have a hay field across the road. With a field comes....... Redwing Blackbirds.

They are protected of course. Well..... at this point I found I can't really tell a RWB from a starling as it's getting late (when I see them most). So I got a cheapo $30 Tasco 4x scope to try out. I should have ponied up >$100 for a better scope. We'll see.......
    edited May 14 #15
    In other news...... a Northern Flicker has taken over the hole. Shes in there most of the day. Just today I saw both parents at the hole. Didn't see any food passed, but the male is around at least. I tried to take a pic but for some reason I can't get an SD card to work on any laptop in the house. It's kind of funny she just barely fit in the hole. Maybe she won't go in once the chicks are hatched?
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 517 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that if needed, the Flicker will gradually enlarge that opening if it doesn't her/them. And curious to know if that scumbag starling comes back.

If conditions are good around you, they'd likely have multiple clutches. 

The fields are full of Starlings and Grackles. By the time you see one and get the rifle and open a window, they are gone. 

Sat on the deck a couple times with the rifle. Nothing close.

I am around 8 for 12 on Chipmunks.

Put two new C02 cartridges in today. Surprising how much more power there was. They lose power so slowly that you don't notice.
    Wish I had a camera with a good zoom. The woodpeckers are gone and a couple flying squirrels have taken up residence in the hole.

They may be nocturnal but they will nap with their nose at the entrance on hot days.