Home Main Category Personal Defense

Things I learned in my ccw class this weekend.

AccipiterAccipiter New MemberPosts: 898 Senior Member
edited August 8 in Personal Defense #1
Though I would share my experience so you all can laugh and cringe with me..

So last year I moved somewhere else.  I finally got around to taking the class so I can have reciprocity when I travel for work.  I learned so much.  I will not out the governing body of the curriculum because panties will be twisted if I do.

Some of the gems of instruction I received.

1.  It is not worth training with your handgun beyond 15 yards.  Shootings don't happen beyond this range, and if you do engage beyond this range you will be charged and sent to prison.

2.  The 1911 is not appropriate to carry concealed.  It is unsafe, unreliable, and should only be used for target or competition shooting.  But it should not go up against Glocks because it will jam and the Glocks will always win.

3.  Never shoot at the head.  Why you might ask?  Is it because it may be a difficult target, because it moves, or is a smaller target?  Of course not.  It is because skulls are hard, and handgun bullets just bounce off or travel around the skull under the scalp.  Yep you read that right.  The instructor said that.

I won't even go into his instruction on how to bury guns, the coming insurection, or any number of unrelated issues he felt the need to share with the class.  Regardless of how someone feels about current events, some things should be kept to themselves.  That is how dumbasses get arrested for attempting to kidnap governors.

Perhaps the worst(most unbearable) moment was when it turned into a timeshare dinner when they began the hard sell of memberships to their organization.  Oh boy.  Good times indeed.

Perhaps the  saddest bit, is he does instructor classes, and has trained hundreds of instructors in the last 20 plus years.

I am truly glad I had good mentors when I got into shooting, and did not have a yahoo like this influencing the direction I would take.

Anyway.  Class done, submitted online application, and permit will be on the way to the Sherrifs office after the background check.

Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Replies

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 389 Member
    it is reassuring to know someone out there knows enough to step over the B.S.
    Getting the permit was the objective, not succumbing to fairy tales and a cult pitch was the secondary objective.
    Well done!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,993 Senior Member
    Did you point out that the 1911 won 2 World Wars while the Glock hasn't even tied in neither the War on Drugs nor the Global War on Terror?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Lol no.  I learned a little while ago, when crazy is in charge, let crazy be crazy and keep your mouth shut.

I did a s Japhy said.  Kept my head down and completed the course.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,121 Senior Member
    I’ve had the pleasure of attending way too many CCW classes.  I know exactly how you feel.  Some folks I’ve listened to will put their students in jail if they follow the advice given.  On the other hand there are some world class instructors out there.  People need to do their homework and leave truthful reviews on Google to warn others…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 379 Member
    edited August 9 #6
    Concerning #3
    I have seen 2 persons shot in the head with handguns that the bullets did not penetrate the skull.
    first was a 9mm that either entered below the eye, skid along the cheek bone and exited the bridge of the nose, OR entered the bridge of the nose and skid down the side, and cheek bone and exited under their right eye.
    The other was a 38s LRN that hit the upper lip just below the nose, and the bullet lodged in the left jaw joint (TMJ) that was a fun Xray to look at.

So while I wouldn't count on it, it's possible

Edited to add: I've also seem someone killed with a 22 short to the head, so go figure.
    My personal thought is, with the first 2 I mentioned, it wasn't their day to die
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,200 Senior Member
    " It is because skulls are hard, and  bullets travel around the skull under the scalp. "

I knew a guy that that happened to. Was  buck shot, but one pellet went through his gun stock
    and another into his leg survived
    Knew a guy personally that was shot to the back of the head with a FMJ .45 acp and made it.   Member of a SWAT team when such things were fairly new.  Toughest guy I ever met, was back to work in short order.  No one ever got behind him after that.  

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Keep in mind it's not (at all) hard to get "certified" to teach these classes. Much harder to maintain a license to cut hair (which by the way is harder than maintaining an engineering license in my state).

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,993 Senior Member
    Several years ago Clint Smith wrote that something like over 1,000 new "instructors" were coming on line teaching CCW, tactics, and all of that stuff.  He also raised the question about how much they actually knew.
    I'm just here for snark.
    JKP said:
    Keep in mind it's not (at all) hard to get "certified" to teach these classes. Much harder to maintain a license to cut hair (which by the way is harder than maintaining an engineering license in my state).

True.  With the NRA and most of the State agencies it’s basically pay for class, sit still for 8 hours and you’re now magically an instructor.   NC requires you to teach at least 3 hours of state law on Legal SD and Concealed Carry, and the rest is up to you.  

Most instructors stray FAR from the reservation and turn their classes into a personal story telling time, and teaching nonsense and myths like what the OP brought up.

BUT now that I’m not teaching or working with the USCCA I can say this and it’s not advertising.  The USCCA makes their instructors WORK.  They have to pass the class, then they need to learn to teach the class, then they have to teach the class back to the counselors before getting their certify.  The attrition rate for instructors in many classes is like 50%, many times higher in classes like Defensive Shooting Fundamentals (DSF), and you DON’T get your money back if you fail.  I’ve taken that certification class twice and passed in first try both times and I’m proud of that.  On the last class only 1 in 3 instructors passed.

You also have to use their curriculum and teach a certain number of students per year or you’re out.  This stops fly-by-night and folks from straying from the curriculum because if they find out your teaching “your own class” you lose your certification.  

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Several years ago Clint Smith wrote that something like over 1,000 new "instructors" were coming on line teaching CCW, tactics, and all of that stuff.  He also raised the question about how much they actually knew.
    The NRA is just an instructor mill…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    C'est la vie.  You gotta learn to chew the fat and spit the bones.  Just wasn't much fat here.  He invited me to a "advanced class" in October.  Needless to say I declined.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 389 Member
    I’ve heard from several folks here that cc classes are little more than story time. your observations are widespread. One of several reasons I do not have a cc permit.  I read and understand the state statutes. I’m calling it good.