Home Main Category Hunting

Rifled Choke Tubes?

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberTexas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,622 Senior Member
I just found out I have the opportunity to hunt on a piece of public land close to my home.  
- There are deer in there, but for now, they are completely off limits. 
- Small game, in season, is ok provided I don't use lead shot (waterfowl is primarily what is hunted there) so I'll have to figure out where to get light, lead free shells.  
- hogs are ok provided I use slugs. Since I don't own a rifled barrel for any of my shotguns, I wondered about the efficacy of rifled chokes.  Parts of the land are wetlands and the rest is heavily forested.  No long shots will be needed.

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Having shot slugs at deer for most of my life, I'd be looking at upgrading sights, and trying rifled slugs through a modified or IC choke tube.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,936 Senior Member
    I have a rifled barrel that does alright at 50 yards with the old Foster Slugs. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,710 Senior Member
    When I lived in the mid-west and had to hunt with slugs I experimented with just about all I could find.
    The difference in accuracy on target was unimpressively small between a smooth bore and a rifled slug vs the same barrel with a rifled choke tube and sabot slug rounds. Keep in mind not all sabot slug rounds are recommended for use with a choke tube.
    Now if this property will be available to you long enough to consider an investment, I can Highly recommend the Savage  220/212 line of Bolt action rifled barrel slug guns. I had the 220 and with the Remington Accu-tips, a sabot 265gr 44 cal projectile at 1900 FPS(think 444 Marlin ballistics) would cloverleaf at 100 yards pretty routinely. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,622 Senior Member
    edited September 3 #5
    jbohio said:
    Having shot slugs at deer for most of my life, I'd be looking at upgrading sights, and trying rifled slugs through a modified or IC choke tube.
    I I am definitely trying to keep things low cost for now.  If it turns out to be a fun way to hunt, I'll probably just buy a shotgun with a rifled barrel.
    - I am going to borrow a scope from a 300 BO upper I have and mount it to my Mossberg 500.
    - since I already have those choke tubes, I'll start testing my gun with those.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,130 Senior Member
    My best accuracy results with a smoothbore barrel are usually with rifled slugs and Mod choke tube.  Don’t ask me why…  but every shotgun/slug combo is different.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,710 Senior Member
    Just as an aside, the most accurate slug load I found in my particular application was the Federal Truball.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,226 Senior Member
    I have used a rifled choke in my Rem. 1100 ...20" ...the accuracy is comparable to a fully rifled slug barrel....You still have to fool around with finding the right slug for your particular firearm...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,200 Senior Member
    I used rifled tube and it was accurate as Jayhawker stated. 

The problem I had was the tube got so tight in the barrel I could not get it out of the barrel
    with a choke tube wrench.

I would use one again if needed; however, I would remove the riffled tube after a few shots and clean the barrel and tube threads and reinstall it.

And a buckshot pattern and maybe a shot  pattern may be blown shooting them through a rifled tube.
    Your experience may differ on this one; but, check at the range before such use.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,226 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I used rifled tube and it was accurate as Jayhawker stated. 

The problem I had was the tube got so tight in the barrel I could not get it out of the barrel
    with a choke tube wrench.

I had that same experience...solved it by using a dab of anti-seize grease on the threads...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"