Home Main Category General Firearms

Scabbard for an AR?

GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 370 Member
edited September 7 in General Firearms #1
After seeing a BUNCH of "targets of opportunity", including one coyote, while riding around my hunting property recently. Wondering if anyone knows of a scabbard that fits an AR?
Needs to cover the action and scope, and be long enough for that 20" Rosco bbl I put on it earlier this year

I found this basic design under multiple names, NC Star, Fox Outdoor, and others
https://www.opticsplanet.com/fox-outdoor-tactical-assault-rifle-scabbard.html

Anyone have any experience with one?

Edited to add: I'll figure out a way to attach it to my tractor once I get one.

"For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    Eberlestock may have what you're looking for

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 370 Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Eberlestock may have what you're looking for

Thanks, I'll check them out
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,072 Senior Member
    I have one of those.  Works fine, but the webbing for molle attachments is kind of flimsy and stretchy.  Not a piece of gear you’d take into battle but for your stated use it’ll work.

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

edited September 8 #5
    Thanks. Nope, won't be taking it into battle. Using this year as a reference, will be "packing it" this way MAYBE 16-24hrs a year.
    Coyotes, hogs and, maybe, crows will be on the list of potential "guests" for introduction to a 50gr Vmax
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    Back when I was into tractor work, the solution we employed was a cheap rigid rifle case mounted on a fender. It took a couple of seconds to flip open the latches and access the rifle but when closed it kept all of the dust and what not away from the rifle.
    Hadn't thought about that. Thanks
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,183 Senior Member
    A cheap option would be a soft case like a Bulldog, or even a Rural King special. It would hold a scoped rifle with a magazine inserted and you could just unzip either 1/2 way or fully.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited September 8 #9
    Another good idea, thanks.
    I could possibly connect it to the ROP behind the seat and have it available if needed, and protected if not
    Something like this might be ideal as you could leave the upper portion off and use in a scabbard fashion if desired.

https://www.sidebysidesports.com/kogunboivreh.html

Lots of options if you look for UTV style gun mounts...
    Will it fit an AR?
    It looks like it's designed for a standard bolt gun
    I said something like that...not sure about fit.