Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

New Visa / MC / AMEX merchant codes

Excerpts from recent articles on recently added merchant codes for guns and ammunition:

Officials in New York City and the state of New York have asked American Express, MasterCard, and Visa to make a four-digit merchant category code (MCC) like the ones used for other retail categories to better identify and report suspicious behavior, such as large purchases of firearms.

On Friday (9/9), the International Organization for Standardization –the organization in charge of setting standards for business transactions — voted to create a “merchant category code” for gun purchases. This will allow banks that process payments from gun retailers to assign the new code to the gun stores.

The managing director for public affairs for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a U.S. trade association for the firearms industry, told The Center Square that the code’s creation was “flawed on its premise.  This decision chills the free exercise of constitutionally protected rights and does nothing to assist law enforcement with crime prevention or holding criminals accountable. Attaching codes specific to firearm and ammunition purchases casts a dark pall by gun control advocates who are only interested in disarming lawful gun owners.”

A spokesperson for the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA), the lobbying arm of the gun rights advocacy group NRA, told The Center Square: “Implying that firearm purchases are suspicious demonstrates an obvious bias these attorneys general hold against anyone who chooses to exercise a fundamental constitutional right.  Creating specific credit card codes for firearms lays the groundwork for a de facto firearm registration. Suggesting otherwise is either shortsighted or deceptive”

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,185 Senior Member
    **** New York. **** California too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,455 Senior Member
    If you don't believe this administration has gun blockers in every agency you need to open your eyes.
    Codes when you make a purchase, UPS not accepting firearms and ammo shipments.  If they can't make it illegal they will make it difficult to impossible to ship products ot super expensive.  Nobody in the general public will even know because it will not be allowed in the media.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,455 Senior Member
    Looks like I was wrong.  Big segment about it on the news.  Why?  Because the claim it will help avoid mass shootings.  Future gun purchases will be cash only.  They already got us automatically with the electronic 4473 they dont need another record
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,189 Senior Member
    I think the difference is the 4473 information is covered by law that it cant be in a database. A code from a purchase? Looks like cash is king.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Posts: 379 Member
    I think the difference is the 4473 information is covered by law that it cant be in a database. A code from a purchase? Looks like cash is king.
    Yet, with the digital form now in use, It has to be, otherwise, what happens to that digital form?
    "For longer range, use a bigger case. For bigger game, use a bigger bullet." - Dan Johnson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,130 Senior Member
    Again, politicians and banks pandering to the unknowing masses.

I KNOW that most processing services and banks will not do business with gun stores or pretty much any gun related business anyway.  EVERY local gun store/range I know lies to their credit card service providers about their real business, mostly a case of we’ll knowingly both look the other way.  

The last receipt I got from an LGS said sports merchandise.  

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,617 Senior Member
    Again, politicians and banks pandering to the unknowing masses.

I KNOW that most processing services and banks will not do business with gun stores or pretty much any gun related business anyway.  EVERY local gun store/range I know lies to their credit card service providers about their real business, mostly a case of we’ll knowingly both look the other way.  

The last receipt I got from an LGS said sports merchandise.  
    It raises some interesting possibilities:

Are they looking to red flag the $200 purchases of "low rent" Hi Points?

Are they looking to red flag the bigger ticket purchases thinking it's AR-15's and large quantities of ammo?  Never mind that the $1500 Colt and the $1500 Beretta shotgun look the same on the credit card invoice.  And is the guy who buys a $20,000 boat from Bass Pro Shops going to get raided because BPS ALSO sells guns?

And if you outfit a complete district of little league baseball teams from a generic sporting goods chain, will the black helicopters show up looking for your $5,000 assortment of bats, gloves, and striped socks?

Seems like the "mail a money order" approach for Gunbroker is going to pick up some steam.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,185 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Seems like the "mail a money order" approach for Gunbroker is going to pick up some steam.
    That's how I usually do it anyway.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Posts: 4,130 Senior Member
    edited September 13 #10
    I don’t really care anymore.  I do nothing illegal, ever, and as my ex-CIA buddy once told me, “There are over 340,000,000 people in the USA and millions of humans considered foreign threats to this country.  How many folks in the CIA and FBI?  What makes you think YOU are of any interest to the government?”.

There are guys on the internet screaming their heads off calling for armed insurrection against the government.  I don’t think they need to come rushing for me because I buy too much 45-70 ammo.   I’m soooooo far down their list of priorities (if at all) it’s not even a factor…

It’s a °IIIII° thing 😎

Thing is it isnt a threat yet. However, it is a cheezy way to skate around the 4th amendment. Once the CC co has the info databased, and btw, all receipts said sports merch up until this point, if Funnystone Blueberries Inc or Irenes Rental Strippers asks for the info, they can get it. We are becoming a country where not breaking the law isnt enough to be left alone. Thinking wrong can get you jailed.
    If you want to understand that it is a threat, learn how it came about. Teachers union pension funds. They bought stock in CC companies for the expressed purpose of creating a firearm database. https://afn.net/politics-govt/2022/09/29/how-a-teachers-union-forced-visa-to-flag-your-box-of-blazer/

Teachers Union is that powerful?  Why worry about weaponizing the IRS?  Oh yea a certain party has already done that
    Teachers union retirement plan. Your tax dollars being spent to force companies to follow an agenda. IMHO any publicly funded retirement, even one through a third party affiliated with a public entity, should be in a blind trust. Reps and Sens to dog catcher.
    There was a guy who I worked with that put a bunch in company stock over 40+ years and about 2 dozen splits splits. One time the local head cheese scoffed at him, then he voted his shares. A rep from corporate had a contrite personal meeting with him. You dont need to own the whole company, just a large enough percentage to vote people off the island.