Pocket carry update - I picked up a ...

Mr.FMr.F MemberPosts: 89 Member
Ruger LCP !!! Yay me ! :applause: Thanks for all the help on the other thread guys - points were brought up that I had not thought of . The price was good on this & the gentleman at the shop brought over an Uncle Mike's pocket holster & had me try it out in my pocket for size . It's no different than haveing a wallet in there . Now I have heard all kinds of things about ammo for these things . What say you guys ? Is any ammo fine or any I should avoid ? Also any holster reccomendations or anything I have not even thought to ask ? Thanks !
Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Too bad you did not pick up the 9mm version, oh well.... :roll:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Mr.F wrote: »
    Now I have heard all kinds of things about ammo for these things . What say you guys ?

There have been quite a few new rounds brought out in .380 recently, but being leery about lack of penetration, I'd stick with a heavy for caliber Full Metal Jacket, that performs reliably outta that particular gun.
  • Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    I picked up a couple of boxes of Speer 95 grain fmj with it - that was the heaviest they had . Of course this is the first gun my lady has called a toy ...
    Jermanator : You might talk about Tauruses around your wife, but that just doesn't fly in my house.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    She won't call it a toy when she shoots it.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Good choice for pocket carry. A few things from personal experience (I have 1, my wife has 1)...

1. Stay away from the mag with the pinky extension. They will work fine for a while, but as the gun gets older, the downward pressure exerted on the pinky extension combined with the shock of the recoil will cause the mag to drop out. You will either need to grip the gun in such a way that no downward pressure is exerted or use only mags with flat plate.

2. Not sure if you know, but best way to grip one of these mouse guns is to wrap your weak hand around the front of the trigger guard. That helps with controlling the recoil tremendously.

3. Take some white paint or nail polish and dab the front "sight". It will help A LOT!

4. It's more of a point-and-shoot gun. I practice 1-handed point and shoot (no sight or alignment, just arm fully extended at the target). I try to shoot as fast as I can reasonably control and keep all round in the center mass area.

5. The only ammo that doesn't work reliably is Herters.

I have Federal Premium® Hydra-Shok in mine and a reload with FMJ. I carry either in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or a Galco Ankle Lite.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    She won't call it a toy when she shoots it.

Yup, this has to be one of the most difficult guns to shoot.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    As far as carry ammo, I've been impressed with Hornady's "Critical Defense"
    Here's what it did for me into wet newsprint from my PPK clone
    380-Bare.jpg

380profile.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Mr.FMr.F Member Posts: 89 Member
    Great tips guys ! I saw that a flat floor plate comes with it . While it is easier to grip with the extension I don't like how it "pokes" out in the pocket outline so I was going to switch it out anyway . I'm impressed with that expansion out of a .380 there - I wonder if that is what they are using for their zombie line just with some green ? Now to see what she has in nail polish around here ...
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Looks like you've got a nice pocket rocket there. Hard to beat Ruger for general handguns and their LCP has received good ratings for reliability. Keep us posted.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Mr.F wrote: »
    I wonder if that is what they are using for their zombie line just with some green
    According to the nice folks @ Hornady it is. Only difference is the color of the polymer
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• rcsaxbyrcsaxby New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    When I bought my Taurus TCP .380 I went to different gun stores and asked what the best self defense ammo was. I ended up going with the Federal Hydro Shock.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    I bought an LCP to use in certain situations where even my Glock 26 is too big to carry. The LCP fits that bill perfectly as I can drop it in a pocket in my Uncle Mikes holster. I carry Golden Sabers in mine as they have performed well for me in my .45's and 9mm's so I like to keep my ammo consitent across the board when I can. They are also 101 Grain if I remember correctly.

That being said, the LCP is the absolutely most uncomfortable gun to shoot that I own. Recoil is very snappy and there is not much to hang onto. I shot 50 rounds out of it the day I got it and my hand ached for 2 days. It sees limited range use but has never given me a problem in the time I have owned it. I limit it to about 25 rounds per range session as a .357 snubby is more pleasant to pull the trigger on. Trying to convince the wife to get one for her carry gun but she insists on a safety on an autoloader.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.