Home Main Category Hunting

The kid's first bobcat

2»

Replies

• AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Funny about the cubbies, there must be a lot of prey animals in your area.
    I've used the hanging feather trick with some success.
    Jim
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    We tried hanging feathers, different lures, snares & 330s in different combinations in areas we knew held cats. Part of the problem was heavy snowfall. The cat in the photo was taken before any significant snow. Once the snow started, we only used cubbies, but they kept getting buried, even under trees.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Back when I was doing my undergraduate work at the UGA the Wildlife Dept. had a study going on what a bobcat caught and ate in its regular diet, and we trapped the cats heavily on the Savannah River Nuclear Project and other areas of Georgia during the study. We had several bobcats in cages and we rigged up pans beneath the cages to collect the urine, and this is what we used to bait the sets. Very simple and easy to catch cats using cat urine. We used Victor #2 jump traps (IIRC-that's been years ago!) set and covered lightly in sand at the base of a tree/bush. We rigged a drag and didn't tie the trap down totally. Spray a little urine from a plastic lab bottle a foot or so up a tree and BINGO! Our catch rate was high.

Bobcat is good to eat. Our Wildlife Prof, an old WWII Island Hopping Marine, especially relished the meat, and we students would make points by keeping him well supplied with it!