Lehigh Defense Products

xLPlushyxLPlushy New MemberPosts: 18 New Member
I was browsing thru a google search on defense ammunition and came upon Lehigh Defense a few pages into the search. Has anybody ever used any of Lehigh Defense's products or know any of the particulars on their ammunition or suppressors?

http://www.lehighdefense.com/index.html

I'm particularly interested in the Maximum Expansion handgun ammo which is why I posted in this section instead of the general firearms section.

Tapatalked via iPhone

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    I have not used their ammunition...HOWEVER...should you do so, I would recommend you plan on doing extensive testing to determine functionality and reliability...
    New stuff comes along every so often and some of it is worth looking at....however, until it proves to be dead nut reliable in your handguns, stick with an established quality JHP...personally, I tend towards the ammunition used by local law enforcement.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Jayhawker covers the appropriate points.

There is always going to be the "next great thing" in ammunition technology, on top of so many other tried and trusted offerings on the shelves. I like to lay in ammunition that's easily replacable, and Lehigh might just be a "flash-in-the-pan" option that may not be there in a couple years, requiring you to go through the whole reliability and function testing again for another new load.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I'm always skeptical of a company that would put something like this on their website:
    "Just having this ammunition in your sidearm will make you feel all warm and fuzzy; we guarantee it."

Really??:popcorn:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I'm warm but not particularly fuzzy.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    I've had feeding issues with copper bullets with that and similar hollow point profiles in pistols.

I would like to try some of that ammo in revolvers esp to use it on those zombie jugs.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    I'm warm but not particularly fuzzy.
    I'm not fuzzy because I had to shave today and am gettg cold, I wounder if the non fuzzy part has anything to do with being cold.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • xLPlushyxLPlushy New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    Considering the prices on the ammo, it better make me a sammich after I do some testing on it, it costs as much as a box of Winchester ballistic silver tips for my 7mm Mag. I would like to see how it feeds in my new Glock 22 and how reliably it expands and what kind of damage it does on some ballistics gelatin. It is a local company in regards to where I live and according to their site they have been around for "the better part of 2 decades". It seems odd that I haven't heard of them before as they're rather close to where I live.

Tapatalked via iPhone
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Gel aint people.

The soylent green gel is.
  • xLPlushyxLPlushy New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    The reasons I would like to do testing on the gel is to see how reliably the bullets expand. Basically want to see if it's worth the arm and a leg for handgun ammo. Either way I will probably end up using Hornady's critical defense loads as I have seen their performance and have friends that use them in their duty weapons.

Tapatalked via my highly abused i
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    I'd be tickled with their concept of massive expansion IF they were getting another couple inches of penetration. Presumably, their figures are coming from the bare gelatin "control" test of the FBI protocols. They're barely making adequate depth (the .380 isn't, and probably never will with an expanding round), and they haven't even thrown the clothing barrier in it's path - to say nothing of interior wallboard, plywood, auto glass & sheetmetal, etc...

This is a lightweight, high-velocity (for handgun) projectile. The potential problem with such things is that they don't have a lot of momentum, therefore when they start hitting things, they slow down and stop quickly. Expansion is great, BUT - - even if you are on the Nervous Nellie side of the overpenetration argument, you still need a round that will reliably get to the Tootsie Roll center of the Tootsie Pop. I would have doubts with this stuff on anything other than a perfect frontal shot unimpeded by arms, heavy clothing, interior furniture, etc... I'm not willing to give up adequate penetration for the sake of a couple extra tenths of an inch in diameter.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I'm not willing to give up adequate penetration for the sake of a couple extra tenths of an inch in diameter.

:that:

Also.........that's what she said. :roll2:
    :spittingcoffee::applause:
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The soylent green gel is.

And then there is the problem of zombie gel.
    As I look a this ammo, I recall some similar stuff being imported out of Mexico a few years back (since stopped at the "request" of BATFE)...was being touted as the most deadly thing since the Black Talon :yawn: Ended up performing very poorly in media (like clothing) tests... That being said I have never cared for "light for caliber" bullets, especially in my handguns....slow and heavy is OK by me...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Alexander Arms sells ammo loaded with a similar bullet design for the 50 Beowulf.
    They list it as appropriate for "Light Game and Varmint"

I'll stick with the more plain jane lead core bullets for SD use
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    IMHO, the customary .45 acp 230 grain hardball out of a Government model 1911 has always been a decent enough personal protection round, the Federal HP stuff is the icing on the cake performance wise,
    I have heard good stuff about Double Tap ammo, but Federal ammo is easy to obtain and works well.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    As I look a this ammo, I recall some similar stuff being imported out of Mexico a few years back (since stopped at the "request" of BATFE)...was being touted as the most deadly thing since the Black Talon :yawn:

Scott, I believe you're talking about the Aguila IQ rounds. They were basically SUPER hollow points made out of cast aluminum.

aguila.jpg

I tried some when they first showed up at the LGS, they wouldn't penetrate through one gallon of water out of a Glock 17.
    Eli wrote: »
    Scott, I believe you're talking about the Aguila IQ rounds. They were basically SUPER hollow points made out of cast aluminum.

I tried some when they first showed up at the LGS, they wouldn't penetrate through one gallon of water out of a Glock 17.

Yep! That's the stuff....Thanks partner!...