Telltale signs of edc

REDDEVILREDDEVIL MemberPosts: 153 Member

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Around here, the fixed blade knife would raise more warning flags than anything else. (except during hunting season), though IIRC, even during hunting season state law forbids carrying them.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    REDDEVIL wrote: »
    I carry a spare mag in a nylon knife pouch, a lumaforce flashlight in holder, and my gerber epic in a lhorizontal leather sheath all on my belt. Would this catch anyones eyes? Or, worse yet, is it so much gear that it is noticeable even by the uninitiated so that they would have a pretty good idea that I am carrying? I have even been known to carry my smartphone in a nylon belt case along with my leather snuff holder in addition to the aforementioned gear. What are everybody's thoughts concerning the gear as a whole on my belt?

In short, yes. Waaayyy too much stuff on your belt. It sounds almost like a police duty belt, especially once you add in the snuff holder and phone case.

If you walked by, you'd catch my eye, then I'd start really looking at what you had. If I saw the tang of the knife sticking out of it's sheath, then I saw a nylon knife sheath, I'd assume that's your mag holder. Then, I'd look real hard at your strong side, look for printing.
    And, if you had a "shoot me first" shirt on, there would be no doubt.

Basically, the idea of concealed is, well, concealed. Not a whole bunch of stuff on your belt, IMO. Put stuff in your pockets. Carry a folding knife, smaller flashlight. Or get a fanny pack, vest, something.

I'm not trying to tear you down or anything. It's definitely needed stuff, and I carry almost the exact same stuff daily. I just prefer to blend in as much as possible, especially when carrying.
    That is why I specified "around here" in my initial post.
    Laws concerning edged weapons vary by location about as much as concealed carry laws. I don't claim to know what they are in any other state than my own, and not 100% sure about the ones here
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Well, you could use a carpenter's belt and be normal looking.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I used to carry a lot on my belt too. I nicknamed it the "Bat Belt". Now, most of the stuff end up in my pockets. Nobody would figure a skinny old Asian guy would carry weapons. We're all masters of the martial arts and our hands are lethal weapons by themselves.:roll2:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Seems to me most people walk around all day blissfully unaware of their surroundings. They are more interested in playing with their phones than they are in who's around them and small things like traffic and such. I've seen people walk into sign posts and such. It makes me wonder if they would even notice what's on your belt or what shirt you're wearing.

REDDEVIL, a belated welcome to the asylum as well. I love your sig line.
    As you can see from the following pic, it's not just our hands but our feet as well that are dangerous.

footinmouthdisease.jpg
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    I know for me personally, function and necessity trump fashion; I carry a spare mag in a nylon knife pouch, a lumaforce flashlight in holder, and my gerber epic in a lhorizontal leather sheath all on my belt. Would this catch anyones eyes? Or, worse yet, is it so much gear that it is noticeable even by the uninitiated so that they would have a pretty good idea that I am carrying? I have even been known to carry my smartphone in a nylon belt case along with my leather snuff holder in addition to the aforementioned gear. What are everybody's thoughts concerning the gear as a whole on my belt? I think I rationaize it one piece at a time,... its just a flashlight,people need light,... it's a fixed blade knife, people need to cut things,...etc. Also, do NRA, 2nd Amendment/progun, or firearm/ammunition brand shirts and hats fall under the "I'm armed/shoot me first" clothing header that I frequently hear mentioned here?

My opinion only, but...

Ditch the flashlight and the snuff pouch. I mean seriously, a snuff pouch? You have a back pocket. :tooth:

Ditch the straight blade for a folder and use a pocket. The fixed blade in the fall/winter on an ankle rig under jeans is an option.

The extra mag is a personal decision. I do not carry an extra mag. If I rock my Glock it will be from about arms length away. No time for reloads if you miss...go to the blade.

If you REALLY want a flashlight, get the new mini Streamlight thing and get a Kydex holster molded for its use on the gun.

One last thing. Toss that laser rear sight thing for a good set of Trijicon night sights. There is no freaking way you can activate that little button for the laser on that sight if you needed to deploy that gun.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    If you were me, you'd be carrying too much stuff...but since you're not me well, you get the idea. There's no way I could carry that much stuff on my belt all day.
    I carry a handgun, a couple of spare mags (If you carry a semi-auto I consider at least one spare mandatory...(single most common cause of failure and all that and a good folding knife)....The flashlight, multi-tool, spare ammo, etc etc etc I keep in my Gear Slinger in the truck...along with the AR....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I used to carry a lot on my belt too. I nicknamed it the "Bat Belt". Now, most of the stuff end up in my pockets. Nobody would figure a skinny old Asian guy would carry weapons. We're all masters of the martial arts and our hands are lethal weapons by themselves.:roll2:
    That's right Mr Miagi ninja.gif
    doomed.gif

:rotflmao:

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Curious about the knife sheath, is it made for the Gerber epic or just a happens to fit situation. I got one for Christmas as well and while the plastic sheath is ok, the supplied pocket clip leave much to be desired.

Sako
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    If I really felt the need to carry that much hardware around on a daily basis, I'd have to move to a safer neighborhood- - - - -like Bagdhad, and not in the Green Zone! Wear and/or carry whatever equipment you feel the need to- - - - -most people won't even notice, or if they do, they'll be so busy laughing at somebody who looks like Inspector Gadget that they couldn't hit you if they tried to shoot!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    People have criticized wearing vest but I think they are handy for carrying stuff. I don't think most people today have any idea what's going on around them particularly out in public to notice some guy wearing a vest.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Talk about not paying attention, I read about a woman who texted her way off the end of a pier into 6 ft of water...
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Talk about not paying attention, I read about a woman who texted her way off the end of a pier into 6 ft of water...

The proverbial long walk off a short pier. Classic.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    People have criticized wearing vest but I think they are handy for carrying stuff. I don't think most people today have any idea what's going on around them particularly out in public to notice some guy wearing a vest.

I have one (actually two) of those "photographer" vests that scream "I'm Packing" that have been worn a few times....however, in general, I don't care...if the situation calls for it, I'll wear it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I personally can't carry much on my person. I have clinical OCD (not kidding.) To many things on me cause to much for me to have to adjust, center, think about and have to feel every 10 minutes to re-verify that they are still there. I know it sounds dumb, but it is truly aggrevating. I carry my car keys, wallet and Ruger LCR, that is all. Medicine for OCD helps, but it doesn't do enough.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I like vests and have several,
    2 denim vests that look like jean jackets with the sleeves cut off in tall and one size large.They cover OWB carry excelent.
    I also have a couple leather biker style vests,one with gun pockets,and the other with large enough front pockets that a SR9c will slip right in.
    The later is long enough to cover IWB if I'm careful when I bend over.
    I also have a light weight tactical style that is long enough to cover well and does not over do it with the pockets.

Reddevil,ya might want to think about some cargo pants.
    oops I see that you already wear cargo pants,so why not remove some of the stuff off your belt and use those pockets?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Well good luck and welcome to the forum.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    I appreciate the feedback; I guess I need to come up with a solution. I just can't do the fanny pack:nono: and I don't like having ridiculous amount of stuff in my pockets. I am probably too used to construction and LE, because I always having everything I need on my belt. I guess I'm still wondering if I would arouse the suspicion of the everyday person. I tuck my shirt in but there is enough overlap that most of the equipment is covered most of the time (at least partially). Is it necessarily bad if LEO's or other CCW's can spot me if others cannot? Or, is it more of a situation of : if they can spot me a threat can as well, only the inbetween people won't have a clue? I have 2nd amendment shirts, should I refrain from those as well?

One issue you may have is the fact that OK prohibits open carry. That means you have to conceal well. The definition of conceal, while varies from state to state, generally says something to effect of the firearm not discernible to others. Having all of the additional gears may cause people to look and inspect more closely, LE included. It's not difficult to then detect prints. It may be far fetched, but some anti/overzealous person/LEO may try to get you for not properly conceal or possibly accidentally expose your firearm claiming brandishing/threat.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    I personally don't wear anything on my belt. I used to wear a flashlight and a multitool on my belt in uniform, but not even that anymore, stuff there gets on my nerves.

As far as making yourself a target for people, around here a lot of people wear stuff on their belts to include fixed blade knives (the wannabe farmer/rancher folks that have never spent a day on either) so it honestly wouldn't get you a second glance beyond a little chuckle from those of us who think it's funny.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Why is stuff on a belt funny ? funny how ?
    Strange funny ?
    Clown funny ?
    I amuse people funny ?
    I digress into a Joe Pesci moment, from the movie "Good Fellas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996