Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dont know if I would like to be on its maiden flight.........

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,053 Senior Member
Coming to an airport near you...........the smell of fried food!

Qantas to fly with cooking oil on Black Friday
March 27, 2012, 9:46 amYahoo! New Zealand

Superstitious travellers may want to avoid taking Australia’s first commercial biofuel flight next month.

Qantas is selling tickets for a flight from Sydney to Adelaide on April 13 – which happens to be a Friday.

One of the two engines on the Airbus A330 will be powered by a 50 percent mix of converted cooking oil.

The aircraft will then return to Sydney the same day so airline engineers can make comparisons to how the engine runs on standard aviation fuel against the biofuel.

Using the imported cooking oil mixture, which has already been used by Lufthansa on a six-month trial, is expected to cost more than normal fuel.

Qantas head of environment John Valastro says the industry will not be able to experience the real benefits of biofuel "until it is produced at a commercial scale, at a competitive price".

"No single player can make this happen. It needs support from government, private sector investment, access to infrastructure and market demand."

Qantas does not expect sales to be hindered because of the flight being on 'Black Friday'.

Would you be happy to take the flight?
END
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 417 Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    ...Would you be happy to take the flight?
    END

...not really
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    i wouldnt worry about flying on fri.13, as a retired airline mechanic we always called airbus's "scarebus " so imho

" if at aint Boeing i aint going "

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    " if at aint Boeing i aint going "

JAY

SNAP!!!! Thats the second time today I have heard/read that phrase. I just got home from having dinner with 2 American couples that arrived for a 4 day stopover.

Their parents were friends of my parents and our families have known each other for years ( I met them for the first time today.....will post up a separate thread)
    The two guys are Vietnam vets, both navy, one flew F4's the other flew F8's. The F4 pilot went on to fly for American Airlines and is now retired.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    No problem for a properly tuned Jet engine.

Surprising that each engine has a separate fuel bladder; but, maybe that is a provision in all of them in case fuel cell contamination or leak.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,290 Senior Member
    I think the question would be how the chemicals affect the engine and fuel systems. It has to be treated a lot so that it isn't going to revert to a solid. As long as it stays liquid, it will make the tarmac smell different, other than that, should work.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    I'd be more worried about flying on an Airbus over the fuel.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    If it is 50% jet fuel, it will stay liquid and is vegetable oil anyway and probably not olive oil
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    Probably work just fine since it is being made compatible with the jet engine.

I remember following a diesel PU on I-75 in FL that was using used cooking oil that had been refined to run in diesel engines. I was behind him for about 50 miles, and had the side window down. 50 miles of torture following a truck with exhaust fumes smelling like french fries. I had a serious Jones for some Wendy's french fries by the time he pulled off the interstate! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    My dad the retired Allison mechanical engineer took the industrial version of the T-56, the 501k, and ran it on jet fuel, bunker, keroscene, sewer gas, methanol, natural gas, gasoline and of all things wood chips.

The wood chip experiment was a failure. Too much comtamination. The others worked with some problems. All of them had to be clean. All of them had to have fuel control adjustments.
    Problems come from contamination that collects on fuel nozzles, turbine blades, fuel filters and fuel controls. The worst contamination problem was in Egypt. They stored the fuel in outside open tanks. Looked like swimming pools.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 417 Member
    NN wrote: »
    If it is 50% jet fuel, it will stay liquid and is vegetable oil anyway and probably not olive oil

...try to use Olive Oil as jet fuel, and you'll get Popeye quite mad..
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Actually Boeing has been testing engines running on vegetable oil for some time. The main problem of thickening or congealing occurs when the oil is
    exposed to extreme cold. In today's modern jets flying above 40.000ft for long periods can cause the same thing to happen to Jet fuel, this is
    mitigated by circulating fuel in the wings through fuel heaters. One of our engine tech's at the airport runs his Volvo on used cooking oil he collects
    from local eateries for free. Obviously we can tell when he arrives!