Home Main Category Clubhouse

Finally Made the Amazon "Best Seller" list for Westerns.

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Jumps around a bit from hour to hour, but it's gotten as high as #43.

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    Cool.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,024 Senior Member
    Well done! It was a good read.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Great! Congrats and you deserve it, pal. Your book is first rate.

(of course, this thread will soon be deleted, but enjoy it while it lasts...)
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations. You deserve it.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Anyone who has read your book will agree that it belongs on the list
    Congrats!!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Well done, Dan!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Hey, Dan, what's on the horizon? Working on a sequel, or what? Keep us in the loop, okay?
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,024 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

(of course, this thread will soon be deleted, but enjoy it while it lasts...)

Sam, this has been explained to you.
    wambli wrote:
    Writing a book, article etc. is quite an accomplishment and getting it published makes it even more so. So is creating a new product or a new business venture. I have no problems with someone posting about their accomplishments but the second it starts looking like advertisement or someone complains about it, it has to go. Normally as long as you don't post links or mention where you can buy it and not bring up the publisher, their website, distributors, retail site, price or ways to download, etc. it is Ok to post it here as an announcement, ONCE!!!

If you reach a milestone like becoming #1 or downloading a million copies and you follow the first set of rules that is Ok to bring that up. We are all proud of you guys. But if you continuously find new and creative ways to keep taking about a product that you benefit from monetarily you will get zapped. If I find out you got some other members to continuously help you out by posting threads on the subject and links on how to buy the book it will not go well for either. Members who like the works or products of other members are more than free to give them a recommendation but again, the second it starts looking like advertising or that it's prompted by the person benefiting from the thread it's off.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    So, explain to me this: The last thread I posted said that my novel was up for consideration as best paperback private detective novel of 2011 and that thread was deleted. I did give the novel's title but did NOT post a link or say where the book could be purchased. Nor did I ask others to post supporting notes on that thread. I've NEVER done that -- nor, of course, has Dan.

So that thread was deleted, right? What's the difference? My thread said my book was being considered for an award. Dan's thread says that his book sales are excellent. Seems that both he and I are sharing good news. But I fail to see why my thread about this was deleted.

Of course, you're the one who said that I'd tried to post a book promotional thread several times in a single day. But when I challenged you to prove this, no proof was given. You only said it "seemed" that it had been such. In fact, I've never done something like that, ever.

And if someone did complain that my thread about my book being up for award consideration, maybe that person was off base and should have been told so. I mean, all of us are happy for Dan and only a jerk would complain about his success.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 752 Senior Member
    I just started reading it tonight, so far so good! I should be done in a couple of days.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,775 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    So, explain to me this: The last thread I posted said that my novel was up for consideration as best paperback private detective novel of 2011 and that thread was deleted. I did give the novel's title but did NOT post a link or say where the book could be purchased. Nor did I ask others to post supporting notes on that thread. I've NEVER done that -- nor, of course, has Dan.

So that thread was deleted, right? What's the difference? My thread said my book was being considered for an award. Dan's thread says that his book sales are excellent. Seems that both he and I are sharing good news. But I fail to see why my thread about this was deleted.

Of course, you're the one who said that I'd tried to post a book promotional thread several times in a single day. But when I challenged you to prove this, no proof was given. You only said it "seemed" that it had been such. In fact, I've never done something like that, ever.

And if someone did complain that my thread about my book being up for award consideration, maybe that person was off base and should have been told so. I mean, all of us are happy for Dan and only a jerk would complain about his success.

Sam...Just let it go...really...nuff said.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Dan, im very happy for you, as i said before im not much for westerns, i read yours because it takes place in my backyard, the accuracy of the area is outstanding, once i got into i didnt put it down. CONGRATS

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Sam, I've received PMs and had a thread removed too. It's not just you. SO I don't think it's anything personal. It's a judgement call and others have the responsibility to make those judgements.

Best.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,607 Senior Member
    Well done Mr C!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member
    All the success people are having on here has inspired me to write a book, too. My book is a detective novel, about a super-savvy country detective named "Big Jim McBob" who goes to the city to fight crime. True to his country roots, he wears bib overalls and drives a John Deere green and yellow convertible Corvette (to show he is a sophisticated urbanite and also for irony). He knows his guns, and is seldom seen without a big greasy bag of pork rinds and a lever action, tactical .30-30. His dog, ****, accompanies him everywhere and loves to hang his head out of the window while they drive 10 miles per hour under the speed limit, in the left lane, rushing hither and yon to crack a case...
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Will Big Jim McBob have his turn signal on?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member
    Big Jim always has his turn signal on and Hank on the AM radio. LOUD. For the ladies, at stoplights. Sometimes **** howls at the high notes, so as to punctuate moving portions of the song.
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Jgun-- If you ever write a book, I would buy it in a second. Your unique view of the world always haves me laughing.

Dan-- Congratulations!

Sam-- I have found your posts-- starting from ideas and ending out as published books both interesting and inspiring. I look forward to hearing more about it. The whole process is very fascinating to me and I am glad that you are sharing that with us. I hope that your writing takes you to great places and that you share your accomplishments with us.

That said, no matter how you dice it, it is a business venture and it is very easy to cross the line without even trying. I am sure that you didn't mean to, but our moderators have to maintain that line. Unfortunately, that line is a wide gray one and not a crisp, finely defined black one-- meaning that it is subjective and they make the best calls that they can. They have a tough enough time as it is, and if you find yourself getting moderated on occasion, so be it-- it just means that you are posting enough. There is no reason to take it personally.

I have quite a bit of respect for you and I admire your achievements. Complaining over being moderated seems petty.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Sam, I've received PMs and had a thread removed too. It's not just you. SO I don't think it's anything personal. It's a judgement call and others have the responsibility to make those judgements.

Best.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback, pal. Much appreciated. I still have my opinion, and think that much of it is tilted because I'm generally a contrarian and get into more miffs than you do, and so have a reputation. But anyway, we'll see what happens the next time either of us (or another writer here) posts a thread daring to mention a book. Books are, after all, pretty scary. They've got all those big words and no pichers to color in...

Again, congrats! Keep us updated on any sequels in the mix.
    Jerm, thanks for the feedback too.
    jgunpilot wrote: »
    All the success people are having on here has inspired me to write a book, too. My book is a detective novel, about a super-savvy country detective named "Big Jim McBob" ... etc

Hilarious! Frankly, you and many others here should genuinely consider writing. Honest. Dan and I can both attest, although it's lots of hard work, it's also plenty fun.

Your Big Jim could be a great comic short story and, I mean it, really do mean it, could easily be published in the Alfred Hitchcock or the Ellery Queen magazine. Think about it.