What's the best weapon for defense against gorillas?

2»

Replies

• shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I just got the new issue of American Handgunner and it has the usual Ayoob "coptalk" section. This one is different than any I've ever seen him put in the magazine. He usually features LEO's vs. bad guys, but this one is about the Ohio Sheriff's department that had to take down all those wild animals that the Ohio "nutcase" released before he took his own life. There were 35 lions and tigers and several bears that had to be taken down. Most of them were killed with 55 gr. 223 ammo, several with 00-buck from a 12 gauge and one deputy stopped a bear charge with his 40 S&W duty weapon! It's an interesting read, although sad.

edited to add; Please don't take this post as an endorsement for hunting these critters with an AR-15, 223. Those happened to be the guns that most of the LEO's had!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    They used their duty arms, understandable, I however have always been a fan of the suppressed H&K G-3 as a LE arm.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    For a follow up,
    The one station that mentioned said the sheriff's dept confirmed it was apparently a hoax.

Doesn't surprise me, I pretty much figured it was, since no other news source reported it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Think the entire equation includes distance/caliber factored by how big, strong, aggressive, fast and mad at you the animal is. Then there will be your pucker factor.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    For a follow up,
    The one station that mentioned said the sheriff's dept confirmed it was apparently a hoax.

Doesn't surprise me, I pretty much figured it was, since no other news source reported it.

Waitaminute. It's a hoax. That means the email I got regarding the Alabama Gorilla Safari wasn't real either? I already sent my money and bought airline tickets. Well, at least I didn't buy any new hunting clothes for it. I couldn't decide between the Jungle Jim safari shirt and hat or the Tarzan leopard skin loincloth.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    Throw a PETAperson at the ape and start running.

:applause: :applause: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee:
  • REDDEVILREDDEVIL Member Posts: 153 Member
    Ann Darrow
  • IveryIvery New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    I think .270 is best weapon for defense against gorillas.....
    I fact this weapon is more effective than any other
    Ivery, you're brand new to this forum and already stirring up the 270 debate. You fit right in here.:up::cool2:
    Everyone is ignoring the inevitable question of the question: WHAT IS THE BEST WEAPON FOR DEFENSE AGAINST GORILLAS THAT HAVE THEIR OWN DEFENSE WEAPONS
    gorilla_guns_by_docshaner-d3e0lt8.jpg
    I thought only bears were allowed arms.

the-right-to-arm-bears-demotivational-poster-1250985223.jpg
    I thought only bears were allowed arms.

the-right-to-arm-bears-demotivational-poster-1250985223.jpg
    That is a common misconception. Like bears, gorillas are semi bipedal and in those instances of walking upright they are allowed arms. The main reason the bear seems to gain all the recognition is that our forefathers never encountered the gorilla,... only the bear. If I'm not mistaken, certain african nations have their own weapons laws but they use the term "right to gorilla arms". You can take my word for it; I'm pretty knowledgeable in these matters, I watch a lot of History Channel and National Geographic.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    A Bi-plane!!??
    King_Kong%252C_2005%252C_Jack_Black.jpg
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Bears can have arms, because they can't pull the trigger, they are lousy shots anyway, very poor vision.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Doc, that's a moot point. (Have you ever seen a pointless moot? Or a mootless point?) Bears armed with AKs simply spray and pray. Or call in an air strike.
    REDDEVIL wrote: »
    That is a common misconception. Like bears, gorillas are semi bipedal and in those instances of walking upright they are allowed arms. The main reason the bear seems to gain all the recognition is that our forefathers never encountered the gorilla,... only the bear. If I'm not mistaken, certain african nations have their own weapons laws but they use the term "right to gorilla arms". You can take my word for it; I'm pretty knowledgeable in these matters, I watch a lot of History Channel and National Geographic.

Yes, we can tell.:tooth: Try watching the Food Network. It'll end braodening your horizons as well as your waistline.:roll2: