Another fatal SD shooting

xLPlushyxLPlushy New MemberPosts: 18 New Member
Was reading thru my local news app on my iPhone and came across this story. It's rather local in relation to me. Found it an interesting read. If the same scenario were to happen to you, how would you react?

http://wap.wfmz.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=305&nid=934572791&cid=20235&scid=-1&ith=0&title=Bucks,+Mont,+Chester,+Phila&headtitle=Bucks,+Mont,+Chester,+Phila

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,561 Senior Member
    Not enough information.

If I had a GF call her ex for a ride, she would be waiting out in the driveway by herself and any of her possessions would be thrown out there too/two/tutu.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    From what little info's available in the link, Sounds like her estranged (still legally married, but separated) husband and his son came looking for trouble..... Looks like they found it.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out there's more to the story, but from what the link says, sounds like a "righteous" shoot.

I'm at home, two folks come armed with blunt instruments threatening to kill me, yeah, I could see being in fear for my life and using a firearm to save my fat butt
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think the most important thing is Gonzalez was able to favorably impress the Police & prosecutors that he acted in self defense and prudently, and that many times is better than half the battle.
    He cooperated with the investigation and things worked out well.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • xLPlushyxLPlushy New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    Agreed there has to be more to the story. Here's another link to an earlier posting of that story.

http://wap.wfmz.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=305&nid=2525382646&cid=20235&scid=-1&ith=1&title=Bucks,+Mont,+Chester,+Phila&headtitle=Bucks,+Mont,+Chester,+Phila

Regardless if there is more or less to the story, the competent authorities are satisfied that he acted properly, and that is all that matters.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    I would hate to know I had to kill somebody over a woman like what seems to be in this story.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    From what little info's available in the link, Sounds like her estranged (still legally married, but separated) husband and his son came looking for trouble..... Looks like they found it.

Wouldn't be surprised to find out there's more to the story, but from what the link says, sounds like a "righteous" shoot.

I'm at home, two folks come armed with blunt instruments threatening to kill me, yeah, I could see being in fear for my life and using a firearm to save my fat butt

Do Y'all have a version of the Castle Doctrine? Perry signed that into law here in Texas about 4 years back. Best thing he's done as governor.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • joegun45joegun45 New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Really dumb! Bringing baseball bat's to a gunfight.
  • xLPlushyxLPlushy New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Do Y'all have a version of the Castle Doctrine? Perry signed that into law here in Texas about 4 years back. Best thing he's done as governor.

We do have a version of the Castle Doctrine here in PA, Corbett signed it into law I think back in July of 2011. I'm not sure of the extent of protection it provides to PA citizens, though. It's a subject I've been trying to research but to no avail. It will definitely be a question asked when I go down to the courthouse to apply for my License to Carry a Firearm, that is where I can find the law in writing, not a LEO's interpretation of the law, so that may take a lawyers consultation for simple legal advice.

• mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    By all measures, as far as I can tell, that case was properly investigated and the DA acted/decided according to what the law allows. I think it was a good shoot.
    xLPlushy wrote: »
    We do have a version of the Castle Doctrine here in PA, Corbett signed it into law I think back in July of 2011. I'm not sure of the extent of protection it provides to PA citizens, though. It's a subject I've been trying to research but to no avail. It will definitely be a question asked when I go down to the courthouse to apply for my License to Carry a Firearm, that is where I can find the law in writing, not a LEO's interpretation of the law, so that may take a lawyers consultation for simple legal advice.

PA now has both Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground (though not pure). This case was a perfect example of PA SYG, which essentially no long require the "duty to retreat" and allow for use of deadly force without retreating first IF the attacker had a weapon. It doesn't change the allowance to use deadly force if you feel that your life was in imminent danger and you are unable to retreat regardless of whether or not the attacker has a weapon. Subtle differences there. The PA Castle Doctrine was strengthen to include civil immunity. If a person is found not criminally liable in the use of deadly force, he/she cannot be taken to civil court.

If you want more information, join PAFOA.org and read the posts on there.

Al

ETA: Unlike in PA, FL does not seem to require that the attacker had a weapon on him: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html . You can read PA HB40 here (see page 7, line 14-26 for critical details regarding display/use of weapon by the attacker as a requirement): http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2011&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0040&pn=1038
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    All States have a penal code, and when a castle doctrine or stand your ground law is passed, this becomes part of the penal code as an amendment to said code, you can look up the penal code complete with explanations online as a Law Review for law students.

Even in a jurisdiction that requires retreating, if retreating can be dangerous to your life due to a particularly aggressive attack, you can defend yourself.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    What I think is happening is most of the public isn't aware of "Castle Doctrine" changes in rules of engagement, I have briefed all of my Sons to be cautious
    about becoming involved in road rage or other confrontations. Do not under any circumstance threaten to whip anybody's aS$, you could be shot.
    104RFAST wrote: »
    What I think is happening is most of the public isn't aware of "Castle Doctrine" changes in rules of engagement, I have briefed all of my Sons to be cautious
    about becoming involved in road rage or other confrontations. Do not under any circumstance threaten to whip anybody's aS$, you could be shot.

That hazard has always existed, I recall hearing an incident where a fellow accidentally tapped another fellows bumper while trying to park his car, the second guy shot the first guy and sped away.
    Happened in Brooklyn South, in front of a Tower Isles food establishment.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    The estranged husband was 34 years old. His son (now deceased) was 19. Doing the math, the 34 year old was only 15 when he became "baby-daddy". While that's not necessarily the end of the world, it sure gave the son a hurdle to overcome, and it doesn't sound like Daddy did a lot of growing up in the last two decades.