Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Richat Structure

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
http://gosmiley.com/eyecatcher/eye_of_the_sahara.html

I know for a certainty what caused it and I'll bet someone here will guess it too yet science still calls it a mystery.

It's not impact. It's not volcanic. Yet, it is physical and smaller examples are found in lots of places. Science needs to step back and think a little.

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is interesting, almost like an enormous amount of energy formed it, I would doubt erosion caused it though.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Actually, they are being formed today in places around the world, but on smaller scales. What could cause this? Dig deep.

dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Its a pimple.............some Clearasil will get rid of that.........Just dont squeeze it!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    Looks like a sinkhole to me. One that was formed over a long period of time as opposed to those that just fall through in FL from pumping out too much groundwater too fast. Probably took a few thousand years to form, and was then polished over several more thousand years to the shape it has now.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Its a butthole. A giant butthole. Its the butthole of the desert.

:roll2: ............... :that:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Tenn

Close. The surrounding features give the clue and the ridges inside the circles tell the tale. Think "tides" on a grand scale. Google Maelstroms. From a time when much of the Sahara's land features were under shallow seas.