Unarmed teen shot dead in self defense

1235»

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I have known people like Zimmerman, they are somewhat unbalanced, running out of their homes to shout at people they perceive as doing wrong, by loitering or panhandling etc.... these are what in some LE parlance are referred as "chronic(s) 911 callers)" and after a time and getting cataloged as a chronic, often ignored..

45 times in 8 years isn't that bad, they had a fair amount of crime for a gated community... http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/23/did-trayvon-shooter-abuse-911.html
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    WHy is there a Delete option that doesn't do anything????
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    WHy is there a Delete option that doesn't do anything????
    you have to check the "delete" box
    edited to add pic
    deletebutton.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    We just don't know all the circumstances. We don't know what Martin did to lure Zimmerman to follow him if anythng. But we know the news media and what they are capable of, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    If Zimmerman had shut his yap, perhaps things would have been resolved in a better manner.
    You should not take on the role of the Judas goat, getting yourself mangled and mauled in the process.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    So now thet are reporting Zimmerman has violence runs ins with the law and domestic violence issues; why did he have a CCW? Inquiring minds want to know.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/27/10894561-zimmerman-accused-of-domestic-violence-fighting-with-a-police-officer
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Did you know that throwing a slice of cold pizza at a spouse could bring charges of domestic violence ?

So called "Run ins with the law" are no big woof either, as a law abiding LEO and as a law abiding non LEO, you can have those when you encounter over zealous LEOs.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • UndaCovaBrotherUndaCovaBrother Member Posts: 76 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    We just don't know all the circumstances. We don't know what Martin did to lure Zimmerman to follow him if anythng. But we know the news media and what they are capable of, so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Speculation.......

Straying from the initial facts will only cause more confusion and divide for everyone. I'm done with this as the media is accomplishing what they initially set out to do! Cause tension among races/classes, and use that tension to aide their agenda of making owning guns a bad thing!
    I must say though that it seems I made my comment a bit premature. I'll just read and keep any future comments to myself for now!
    I would like to see your comments unabridged, I always look forward to your posts.
    One day if you are ever in these parts, lunch is on Me !!
    I'll hold you to that! I should be there sometime next month, it just depends on where you're located.
    Then comes daddy dearest to the rescue...... I think he's probably doing more harm than good here! For someone who's said to be a retired judge he seems pretty unaware of the means by which people can get information. Now if I were someone of substance who would make the news a couple times in my past. Why is it that I'll make comments on an event whilst hiding my face? NEWS FLASH!!!!!! Anyone who can type on a computer can use it to find you picture on the internet using any search engine like MSN, Bing or Yahoo! And they just keep on amazing me. :rotflmao:
    I'll hold you to that! I should be there sometime next month, it just depends on where you're located.

Let Me know ! Portland Oregon.
    That will be a pretty tall order. I'll be between Philadelphia and Cherry Hill, NJ. Hopefully I'll be on your side of the country in the near future. Thanks for the offer though.......much appreciated! :beer:
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    No matter what happened, Zimmerman should have not have gotten out of his car. He went looking for trouble and found it.

Years ago, I saw a "crime in progress"....I was walking my dog, when I saw a few goblings breaking the window of an SUV to removed the radio. I cannot call the cops (I forgot my cellphone on my bed), and although I had a gun with me, I had one hand busy (holding the dog leash), and didn't want to play the role of "Deathwish" character for a piece of equipment that could be replaced. But I couldn't just walk away, so I went to a nearby school (50 yards away....the SUV belonged to a student's parent) and told what was going on to the watchmen so they can call the cops. Then, I walked to the corner, to see if a patrol car just passed by.... (Murphy Law at its best...none in sight until it was too late)

When the creeps took off, I had my hand in the gun's butt...just in case they decided to "silence the nosey witness"...they knew I was aware of what they were doing...one of them cussed at me on their way out, but that was all....one suspicious movement, and I would have not hesitated in firing a full magazine on their car (had 2 spares).

BTW, at the time, I stayed all the time partially hidden by a tree....no need to give them "an easy target"...(the most difficult part was to keep the dog behind the tree too....he thought it was some kind of game)

When the patrol cars arrived, I gave them a description of the car, and the license plate number, and that was all...no need to play "hero", but neither to be indifferent
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    So I suppose swinging through Kansas is out of the question as well...I guess there's a reason they call it fly-over country...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    I will assume the police are competent and honest until evidence is provided to the contrary. It could very well be that they had this solved, early on, and are not releasing information until the 'state' makes up its mind about prosecution. It is what they should do, and maybe they are.
    It's out for now, but that's also on my list of places to visit. I'd like to have the privilege to meet as many of you as I can. I've learned a lot about firearms, safety, self defense.....and I'm sure I could go on and on naming other stuff. For the most part. This is one of the best forums I've been on because of the high standards you guys have. Keep up the good work! :beer:
  • pilotpilot New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    I have not taken a side in this and will not join a bandwagon. I do think discussion is helpful if it fosters honest thought and valuable lessons. Distraction is not helpful. It seems we are being drawn down a path we may not want to go. On any day in the USA there is an altercation/confrontation that leaves someone dead. Over the St Patrick's Day weekend there were 49 shootings, 10 fatalities and 40 wounded in Chicago alone. This did not gain national attention and usually does not get front page local news coverage much less national headlines. But occasionally such an event will garner the sudden attention of the entire nation even involving the POTUS. Why? The events in Chicago were after all in his hometown yet as far as I know he made no calls to the bereaved or public statements about those tragedys. So it would seem we are being guided on a directed path for some reason not fully or honestly disclosed.

We all remember Rodney King. Those who have been around the Houston area for a long while will recall the names of Joe Campos Torres and Ida Lee Delaney. Each was known as having a penchant for fighting and like any school yard bully it was just a matter of time until they found a fight that ended badly for them. Mr King survived and like Mike Tyson found wealth, fortune, and fame albeit as with Mr Tyson only briefly.

The point I wish to make is that only the rare and very obscure occurence is selected as an opportunity to be exploited by some shadowy group. Did Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or the Black Panthers have anything to say about the killings in Chicago or elsewhere? Yet the tragedy in Sanford presented itself as a ripe and fertile opportunity for a fund raiser.
    I am dissapointed when I see some of our societal traits mirror those in places like Egypt, Syria, Oman, Bahrain, etc. Angry mobs are the useful idiots easily directed by the enemies of Liberty. When Eric Holder gives a green light to the Black Panther Gang I will recognize it for what it is and speak up for truth and justice. And when he comes for our guns and LIBERTY we will do well to remember how the good people of Mexico and elsewhere were effectively disarmed. It has not gone well for them.
  • WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    According to an article in USA Today, Zimmerman claimed that he was returning to his car and Treyvon followed him making him fear for his life. Even though the 911 recording and the statement by the girlfriend contradicted this, it was the basis for the police chief calling this self defense.

If **** had never gotten out of his vehicle, he would not have been returning to it. He would not have had an encounter with anyone. He would not be the subject of this, or any other discussion. He would not have caused SYG to be questioned. Why, exactly, did he feel the need to get out of his vehicle?

Gentlemen, If you assume the responsibility of carrying the means of employing deadly force, you had better damned well be aware of the cosequences of all of your actions. When I am CCW, I am very polite and long suffering. When I am not such, my wife reminds me that I need to be.

I can be a class "A" **** when I'm not CCW, so I have to think about it. That's my point. Think.

VR,
    Harold
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    I have to remind my wife sometimes when I am carrying, (full blood German from both sides). She tends to get redneck on people who aren't observing the rules as diligently as she is, (about got me into a fistfight when we visited Monticello:roll:).
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • WhitewookieWhitewookie Member Posts: 181 Member
    I have to remind my wife sometimes when I am carrying, (full blood German from both sides). She tends to get redneck on people who aren't observing the rules as diligently as she is, (about got me into a fistfight when we visited Monticello:roll:).

I know what you mean... If I'm not CCW the little woman will get ill with somebody in a heartbeat. I think she worries about the money we'd have to spend for my legal defence. Me gettin the hell kicked out of me probably doesn't bother her that much.:jester:

Harold
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein