Home Main Category Clubhouse

Mom passed away

2»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    My condolences, remember the good times, she is in heaven now and in peace.
    My Mom passed away in 1987, sometimes I can hear her advice and council.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    Bruchi,

So sorry to hear this sad news.

My heartfelt sympathies and condolences to you and yours.

Ron
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Thank you guys, she raised my brother and me on her own in Puerto Rico, a country foreign to her when dad who was Puertorrican brought her here and weeks latter went to jail which turned away almost all his local relatives, month latter she had my brother, worked really hard at 2 jobs for a spell, her work was recognized at her main job for Woolworth's and raised from position to position, from waitress to the supervisor of their cafeterias in the Caribbean and Miami, in the 80's when I lived in NY she came to the city on business trips and I would stay with her at the hotel atop the World Trade Center, we went to eat out and sight see or we would go to my tiny apartment where she would cook something great for dinner we would enjoy with a bottle of wine.

She was always in a great disposition to help folks find employment, she would do stuff like cosign a loan to a High School buddy so he could buy his first house and so on, all of this with an eight grade education, she had to leave school in Mexico to work and help raise her brothers when her dad got real sick, after marriage she put her younger brother through college and helped her sister and daughters before and after she became a widow.

She had a full life too, when a teen while working at more than one job in Mexico City she learned English and at 17 forged granddad's signature and birth certificate to follow her dream and became a flight attendant at Aero Mexico in the 50's, traveled all over the place until 9 years latter when she married my dad.

Still with all that load she always found time to keep a house, take us on vacation trips, help us with homework, read stories when bedtime came and to take us every Sunday to the beach, the country, museums and so on.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I am sorry for your loss brother....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    bruchi, my condolences to your family. It sounds like your mom was quite the lady. Your memories are treasures - I'd write some of this down and save it as a journal for later when the memories threaten to fade.

I lost my mom when I was 12 years old, too old to call her "Mommy" anymore, and too young to tansition from the kid/parent relationship to one of friends. One thing I try to do now is to never miss a chance to say "I love you" to those that are dear to me - you never know if it's going to be the last time.

My kids think it's kinda corny, but despite the eye rolls, I still try to work that "I love you" into the morning farewells for work/school, and especially as they strike out in the teenage years for longer forays from the nest.
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 220 Member
    Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for you and your family.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,654 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear the news bruchi.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    :angel2:My heart goes out to you Bruchi, so sorry to hear of your mother's passing.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is important to note that the eighth grade education of those times is today's equivalent of a college education.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    You have my sincerest condolences, Bruchi. Prayers for and yours.:angel2::angel2:
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss Bruchi prayers your way.
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Very sorry to hear. My condolences.
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    And it hurts more than I ever imagined.

At 78 she still did yoga and tai chi, kept herself busy, was finally getting a lot better, gaining weight and strength after a bout of digestive problems that took her down to 90 pounds, took her Wednesday to Costco to shop which she had not done in some time, was in great spirits too.

Friday morning she woke up in pain and went down from there, it was quite sudden and it took us by surprise. I did not get a chance to say good bye, I loved her dearly and miss her.

I'm Very sorry to hear this Bruchi, :angel2::angel2::angel2: Prayers for you and your family. It's hardest like you explained I think, when it makes no rhyme or reason. When they seem to be doing better and then they go, it really catches you off guard. Anyway, she's in a better place now with no pain or problems. God bless your mom and your family.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    She was part of a church group and was buried Wednesday following her desires according to her faith, that gave us some closure. Even there she was so considerate as to have everything taken care of beforehand.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • UndaCovaBrotherUndaCovaBrother Member Posts: 76 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. I know the feeling of losing a loved one. We may not be able to do much or anything here, but we're all here to listen or to talk. The sadness you now feel won't go away, but you'll be better able to deal with it over time.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    :-( My sincerest condolences Bruchi. Prayers to you and all of her loved ones.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Once again thanks to all, your kind words DO HELP.

I suspect that still I have not fully accepted this and that it is still to hit me hard.
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 412 Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    I suspect that still I have not fully accepted this and that it is still to hit me hard.

I'm sorry for your loss Bruchi.

Years ago (13th to be accurate), I experienced the same, and it really hit me hard.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    It will still blindside you sometimes when you least expect it. The only real consolation I can give you about the loss of an immediate family member is that over time it will hurt less.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • Bad HabitBad Habit New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    prayers for you and your family.

My Mom passed suddenly in Feb and a friend shared this with me.

Psalm 34 18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

It still hurts every day.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    My condolences my friend, no one knows better than I what it's like to loose a loved one suddenly. I wish I could give you some wisdom to ease the pain but I know it is difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • VizcacheroVizcachero New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    I'm very sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you and your family.