Home Main Category Clubhouse

Tough times at work!

mkk41mkk41 BannedPosts: 1,932 Senior Member
Defense contractors are feeling the pinch. Good news bad news on my part though. I still have a job for the forseeable future. My program is funded till 2015. :applause:

Bad news. Company has suspended the (up to) 6% 401K match till 2012(?).

And without consulting any of the people who actually do the work , they hired an outside consulting firm and initiated a 'lean' SOF , or Standard Operating Format program. These consultants , with the full blessing of the upper crust , who have no idea how things are done , totally revamped our organization. Without so much as talking to ANY of the people who build the hardware. They set up theoritical 'lines of flow' for work which they have no clue. They set up 'efficient' work spaces without talking to any of the program managers or engineers. I likened it to putting up the goal posts , painting the yard lines and laying the sod after the game starts. The buzz words are "ready , fire , aim"!
The consulting team reps and company GM came around today and asked certain people what they thought. I've never been a 'yes man' , and read them the riot act. Telling them "you never asked any opinions for the 6 mos you planned this cluster-'flop' , why ask now! An proceded to tell him how and why they totally disrupted the most profitable program in the company. Yep , hung a target on my back! They 'planned' for everything to run hunky-dory. They planned to never have part shortages , bad parts or failures in test. In other words , manufacturing utopia! Now my people have 5 times the work with 1/5 the area to do it in. No plans for areas for rework , testing failures , shortages , non-conforming vendor/sub-contractor and outsourced parts , of which we've had TONS of the last 6 years. Something ya get with the lowest bidder! Their reply , "Well , hopefully , we won't have any of those!" :confused:

Did I mention it was a British consulting firm? :yikes:

Why me?!?! :bang:

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    You know what they say about "plans." Unfortunately, it sounds like they are finding that out at your expense.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    Sounds like my company lol. We have shipped multiple truck loads of pipe to the wrong freaking STATE, fabricated entire systems of pipe, multiple times, out of the wrong type of pipe and designed systems based on old architectural reflected ceiling plans when we had the revised ones for weeks. Our project managers wont return phone calls, or emails, when we have customers begging us to send them change orders in time to get them processed, so I usually end up doing the changes on my company's dime. I could go on for pages, but you get the picture. This has been going on for years, and they can't figure out why profits are so low.:cuss::angry::roll:
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Did you ever get it set up where you can bring your own tools back in?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    Rotten deal for ya, Keith, but at least be glad you're funded thru 2015. I'm at a loss as to what to say re management's bizarre behaviour. As you implied, it simply makes no sense.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Well...it sounds as if nothing has changed in THAT world since I retired....well...better you than me I guess...

Anyone remember ZERO DFECTS?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Things are getting tough all over. My command has lost over 200 slots and has a hiring freeze. No RIF yet (and probably won't be one for what we do in the field). People retiring won't be replaced, those PCSed won't be replaced and they are offering a VERA/VERSA (?) program to get people to retire early in September. The max one can get is $25,000 to retire early, not worth it to most unless they are just about ready to retire anyway.

It took years for Civil Service employees to get parity with the private sector and now it's a favorite whipping post for screaming to make cuts. I'm under the FERS not the old and much more generous CSRS where they can retire with up to 80% of their base pay. This all changed in the late 80s, so there are not that many left in the old system. Basically, CSRS don't/didn't pay into Social Security, but don't get any either and have some better fringe benefits we don't.
    FERS like me depend on the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) for the majority of their retirement where money you invest goes into GOVT Bonds or the stock market and the actual retirement payment is next to nothing in comparison. The GOVT matches 5% (not really, there is a formula) of what you invest.

Of course, if the market does well, so will you in TSP, but you can lose in bad years. I recently moved the majority of my contributions to the "G" Fund Govt bonds, at least I'll get dollar for dollar back with a little interest and won't lose any money. I put in 15% of my pay, about the max I'm allowed to contribute by law.

I could write a small book on the misspoken baloney that talking heads spew on TV about how generous Civil Service is compared to the private sector. First they tried to compare us with Wisconsin state employees until someone pointed out we have no bargaining rights for pay and benefits like those state workers. We only have the right to file a grievance with some rinky dink local union who will represent us.

My case is a little different than normal Govt workers, we are on the Mobility Program, can be moved anywhere there are soldiers like Korea, Germany and anywhere stateside. and get deployed. Six times in my case. We do get taxed on deployment and do not come under the Fair Labor Act, my overtime is straight time while deployed except we get premium pay for holidays. Don't get me wrong, we get paid well and it all evens out with Danger Pay and other entitlements in the long run.

There is talk of reducing our benefits in about every budget reduction bill in the works, some more severe than others. Matching contributions (5% to TSP) will most like be reduced and health care cost will go up. Already no pay raises for two years, likely to be extended and they are dickering with the COLA index to reduce payments in their geographical areas. Among other things.

I am a conservative, but see all the Big Business owners/ stockbrokers come on TV and gripe about how generous our benefits are. Sometimes I think they would like to pay their employees minimum wage with no benefits to increase their profit bottom line. If they could get away with it.

So don't worry, as we speak, sleazy politicians are busy working on their re-elections, over-spending all our tax dollars and dreaming up ways to cut our paychecks because they can't/won't balance the budget. Everyone be sure to tighten your belts while they pig-out on our dime in DC!:nono::angry::cuss:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    Chief, you said it all, I wont even attempt to change a word as I am in almost the same situation as yourself (i dont deploy). The rest holds true to the letter.
    Dont forget that not only has our pay been frozen for atleast two years, but the powers that be are attempting to raise our health care costs, you know the ones they told us for years were free if you did atleast 20 years active duty.

Add to that the local corruption and cliques in areas, in mine they call it the Panamanian Mafia, and it is much more powerful than the union.

Seems no matter how short money is in the budget, these mmmm what word can I use for them here?, will always figure out a way to spend more and more and make things even more difficult for those that actually do the work.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    mkk41 wrote: »
    Defense contractors are feeling the pinch. Good news bad news on my part though. I still have a job for the forseeable future. My program is funded till 2015. :applause:

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security. I hate to be a doom sayer but Having worked in the defense aircraft industry for a number of years for General Dynamics and Lockheed I learned that you never have the security that you think that you have. I was hired the first time by General Dynamics here in Florida in the mid 80's when the F-16 program took off and they moved me to the main plant in Fort Worth. They said the contract would last about two years so I figured I would make good money for a couple of years and move back here. Luckily I stayed single and didn't buy a house or incur any debts as I never knew if my job would last another day or a year. It was an uncomfortable position to be in. Even though I was laid off twice, I ended up working for them for over seven years. When Clinton got elected and cut defense, we went from building an average of 30 aircraft a month to two or three. There were about 28,000 people laid off in a years time. Many of which thought that they would be safe for a few more years because of contracts and funding. Seniority had a lot to do with who stayed out there and the department that I worked in (field operations) looked like a nursing home after the cuts. There's no such thing as a long term job anymore, the days of getting a job and retiring from a big company after 30 years are long gone. In fact most of the guys that I worked with were refered to as aircraft gypsies because they traveled all over the country chasing contracts and high paying jobs that usually lasted one or two years. The civilian aircraft market is the same way. In the early 90's Boeing ran adds in the Dallas and Fort Worth papers trying to solicit experienced aircraft workers to move to Seattle for a huge contract they had gotten. They claimed a ten year backlog and unlimited overtime. Field operations people were highly sought after and there were quite a few people that I worked with that had fairly high seniority that bit the hook and quit GD to move to Seattle. Few if any lasted a full year before being laid off. Then they couldn't get their jobs back at GD. I guess what I'm saying is don't get too secure feeling and have a backup plan. Working in the defense industy is never as secure as you think and always full of suprises.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me