Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hunger Games...for you archers out there...

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,756 Senior Member
Either this gal wasn't paying attention during her coaching sessions or her coach needs to be slapped upside the head with a sock full of quarters....
Aside from her nock point and draw being all wonky, just what exactly, is she using for an arrow rest?

article-2119570-1241140A000005DC-194_634x409.jpg
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Looks like her nock point is way high; going to kick the arrow point down on release. Her arrow rest appears to be the middle knuckle of her left hand. And her grip on the bow is way too high. Taken together, she'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    Has the arrow knocked "Backward" as well. One of the vanes is going to hit the riser/ rest/ back of hand.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Yeah that pic is all kinda jacked up. I would like to know if that was an aimed shot or a snap shot though. I've seen pro archers make snap shots that are no where near perfect form but somehow worked.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    It took me a few minutes to even see that there was a bow and arrow in this picture.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 478 Member
    I'm with Mookie on this. The actress is really a very good archer and took a lot of training and practice for the movie. If any of you guys are instinctive shooters you may have seen some very primitive bows that were without an arrow rest or a nock point. Just visit national geographic photos. Seems to be very effective in the hands of one who uses it often.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    gunwalker wrote: »
    I'm with Mookie on this. The actress is really a very good archer and took a lot of training and practice for the movie. If any of you guys are instinctive shooters you may have seen some very primitive bows that were without an arrow rest or a nock point. Just visit national geographic photos. Seems to be very effective in the hands of one who uses it often.

Well she might be a good bow shot now after much instruction and practice, and yes, I use in my bow hunting an instinct style of hunting with a bow and also used a long bow for one hunting season and I had no notch place for my arrow, my hand was were I rested my arrow, and in the picture if she releases that arrow she will not come close to hitting her target much less anything in the direction she is looking. Almost all she is doing in that picture is wrong including her gaze, plain and simple, it is what it is.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It took me a few minutes to even see that there was a bow and arrow in this picture.

I agree, I was too :love: to notice much else.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,804 Senior Member
    Me too. I'd be more interested in seeing the knockers.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Better? And I'm not talking about her technique.

Jennifer-as-Katniss-jennifer-lawrence-20530829-1600-1152.jpg
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    I would suspect the post-production crew is to blame.

Consider all of the people that are running around off-camera on a movie set. Giving actors actual arrows in that setting is every bit as dangerous is giving them actual bullets for live guns. I'd bet a fair chunk of change that arrow is Photoshopped or otherwise digitized in.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    For all you guys drooling over her leather clad hotness...keep in mind...she's old enough to be your....ummmmm.....daughter...just sayin...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You need to keep in mind, that a girl that is 40 years old is old enough to be YOUR daughter. 'Sayin. :tooth:

:roll2::spittingcoffee::rotflmao::up::cool2::jester:
    You need to keep in mind, that a girl that is 40 years old is old enough to be YOUR daughter. 'Sayin. :tooth:

:win:
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 478 Member
    After the post on this subject, the wife and I went to see the movie. Enjoyed it a lot. In the movie she uses a recurve with an arrow rest.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    It does not take a lot to do a bit of research on the right way to pose professional folks in front of a camera, it is also very enlightening and a big job bonus as you learn all kind of things! In my word, the advertising field most clients are insane on how right they want things to be, they want 10-20 variations of everything and spares are mandatory in case, so is changing their minds the night before and telling you when they arrive 2 hours late.

I recall this guy that insisted I find in this tiny island and actual bullfighter so he will hold the cape, in this instance a car hood in the proper manner, he ended up getting on a plane and flying to Spain to do the pic. If the image was of something laying on top of a table that had been dropped on it, say a set of keys he could not place it on the table he would insist on letting the thing fall on the table as many times it took to "fall" in a way it suited him, that was my cue to go check my email. On another project we needed a wooden frame to fill with cement as if they where laying a sidewalk with the company's name written on it with a stick, for this he insisted I hire a construction guy so he could bring with him used lumber soiled by cement to make the image more authentic.

it is ridiculous how sloppy this folks in Hollywood are and they get paid insane amounts of money for this still images, Timothy White one of the top shooters of posters for movies in Hollywood once told me that for a wide picture of Travolta n early morning on a well known Chicago park snow was required, they set for a day that snow was to be there naturally and 4am there was none in sight, he calls the producer to tell him that putting snow there was going to run some $40 grand as a crew, trucloads of ice and snow where needed, the producer was all riled up for being woken up for such a trivial expense.

They should get this stuff RIGHT out of the bat!

All of that said, she can hold the damned arrow any way she pleases as long as she is home at 6 pm every afternoon and eager to please!

There is something VERY WRONG with the pic bellow, to me they did a very BAD job of taking both of her arms from other images and inserting them in this one in an incredibly lousy manner.

Sorry about the upcoming "shop rant"

This could be due to a technical issue, it is sometimes not possible to have both stuff close to the camera and away from it ALL in sharp focus, more so with long lenses which compress stuff and thus present a more appealing image of people, on folks you want your "critical focus" on the eyes, you can extend focus in front and back of the critical focus closing the F stop to a point but this requires a lot of light to be done, the amount of constant light on a regular film set is often on the low end for still images so it could had been all shot on the set with the critical focus on her eyes then they discover her arms, arrow and bow are not is good enough focus.

Rather that take up the actress time to do the picture again they get someone with similar physique in costume to hold the bow and arrow, shoot it in the studio trying to mimic the pose, lighting all other technical stuff in the actual pic, then they insert the now "in focus" arrow, parts on the image where her eyes and body are in sharp focus, the right thing would had been to shoot options focusing on the different planes on the set and then do the splice so everything matches and even that is iffy as moving the focus on a lens from one position to another changes the size of the image a bit.

If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi, you're right. But she's still HOT!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    article-2119570-1241140A000005DC-194_634x409.jpg

There is a technique using an extra long arrow like in the picture. If you get the arrow length and anchor point right, you can put the arrow point on the target just like a front sight of a firearm
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I noticed the funky shooting style and thought ; well, it is the movies after all. Most people do not have a clue about most things anyway.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    For all you guys drooling over her leather clad hotness...keep in mind...she's old enough to be your....ummmmm.....daughter...just sayin...

Not mine... :devil:
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member

Those harmonic stabilizers are quite well formed!!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I thought that girl star was 22----that is granddaughter age.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    NN wrote: »
    I thought that girl star was 22----that is granddaughter age.

Yep, could be my granddaughter...she sure is cute though.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 412 Member
    drwalker47 wrote: »
    Yep, could be my granddaughter....

I'm not old enough to be her grandfather....so, she can call me "daddy"